DLR launching new label 'Sofa Sound'

004 vinyl

Signal, DLR & Abis - Artworld / Deeper Understanding

SS004

Expected 7 Jun 2019

Shame no vinyl release for that album though :-/ Some tunes on there > everything else released on the label

not into the new single at all, the releases have no flavour... sterile neuro. The track with Randall was cool, some of the album tracks were good, singles not for me...

Modules is quality, it's on an old C4C or Matrix & Fierce vibe

A lot of the tunes on this label are too midrange-y with so much work done on making things sound 'sick', Modules gets the balance just right. Great bass groove.

Second tune is ok. Sofa Sound might be heading down the wrong path sadly, the LP didn't impress me, a lot of filler & not enough quality tunes basically.

Luckily, by the sound of Ulterior Motive's new EP they seem to be ready to fly the flag for actual real neurofunk as it should be done

Last edited:
With a name like 'sofa sound' I was expecting some music to listen to, as dambusters said it's releasing overly engineered empty neuro, not music to kick back on the sofa and listen to, or even music I'd enjoy dancing to in a club either.

Yeah, DLR's sound has always been an interesting discussion point for me. You can listen to his tunes in the car or on headphones or a small system & really not think that much of them at all. But on a decent system they can sound hugely impressive. He's never really made a bad tune in my eyes, but he also never really blows you away either, yet the OneMind stuff is brilliant. I guess this outlet & style is very much aimed at just the dancefloor & nothing else. Plus I think with his productions & tastes he likes to impress with subtleties rather than in your face type sounds.

As you say tho, being called Sofa Sound the music could be more listenable, but maybe that's not what he was getting at with the name at all. It could be something completely irrelevant.

That being said, imo neurofunk done right can be enjoyed both at home & in the club.

I guess our discussion really comes down to the fact of how much society around this music has changed, & that we demand something extremely special to "get off" for lack of a better term. So we moan about tracks that are in many ways perfectly acceptable & do their job & more. But unless we hear something we believe is absolutely outstanding we're just a bit ho hum about it.

At the end of the day I've definately got a lot of respect for the guy. I think personally I'm just far more into the sound of that Ulterior Motive EP & the likes of what Kid Drama has released of late which resembles the more classic neurofunk approach.

yeah the onemind stuff was amazing and DLR has made some excellent solo tracks, but the singles on this label so far have been pretty poor imo

ghostfish and song and dance, modules the exception

Second tune is ok. Sofa Sound might be heading down the wrong path sadly, the LP didn't impress me, a lot of filler & not enough quality tunes basically.

Luckily, by the sound of Ulterior Motive's new EP they seem to be ready to fly the flag for actual real neurofunk as it should be done
Yrah nothing new to hear just another label to dump out music that wouldn’t get released on the main label.

Audio here, not sure if this is getting a vinyl release though... The click sounds good.

Nice to get an I.D on The Click as Skeptical has been playing that! No doubt this will be a digi only release even though it's the best double sider the label's seen since that Song and Dance 12" :-/

Audio here, not sure if this is getting a vinyl release though... The click sounds good.

Nice to get an I.D on The Click as Skeptical has been playing that! No doubt this will be a digi only release even though it's the best double sider the label's seen since that Song and Dance 12" :-/

Been proved wrong.

YOU FOOKIN BEAUTY!! 😍 just admire the juicy Sauce SWAG!! Digi out Friday, vinyl to follow

72085946_2916778501684081_6702541836889620480_o.jpg

@rythmatix cop a load of this!

Back
Top Bottom