DJ's: How much would you pay for mix hosting?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by sdm, Oct 1, 2005.

1. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Just doing some market research :teeth:

Something like 500Mb of space for storage, and 10Gb of bandwidth per month.

Obviously if you wanted to setup a web page using your space, you could do within your monthly allocation of space and bandwidth. E-mail forwarding or POP3 would also be available as part of the package.

Let me know your thoughts :rik:

2. Time Dependant

Time Dependant Jungle Hunter

I paid about £30 for a years worth of webspace but I couldn't host any mixes due to the size of them, would 500Mb be enough to hold an 80 minute mix?

3. Oli

Oli Member

500mb is plenty for showcasing maybe 3 sets a month, realistically that bandwidth wouldnt be rinsed too quickly!
    £5-10 a month, chuck in a nice lil script to link to all mixes avaliable on the service or something and would be sweet as!

http://nxserve.com <--chek them for some similar price bracket stats

4. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Muffler's August 2005 mix was 77 minutes 5 seconds long and weighed in at 105Mb, it was encoded at 192Kbps.

Going by that you could easily fit in 4 mixes of that length into the 500Mb provided.

Let's not forget, this space could also be used to host tunes that you've made! So it's not just for DJ's really!

Thanks for the comments Oli, I was also thinking between £5-£10 per month myself.

Ref. the bandwidth, obviously if you uploaded the latest Pendulum mix(!) you would get through your 10Gb allocation in no time, but generally things move a little bit slower for us 'lesser known' DJ's or producers.

Nice idea with the script, something that lists mixes from a mix folder, and tunes from a tunes folder on the space provided. For the provided web address and e-mail I was thinking along the lines of 'http://yourname.domainname.tld' with an e-mail of 'yourname@domainname.tld'. The 'domainname.tld' would be the domain of the service provider.

Any further comments or ideas appreciated.

5. Time Dependant

Time Dependant Jungle Hunter

£5-£10 sounds reasonable I'd pay that amount for the webspace so you've got one punter right here SDM

6. mesh

mesh Active Member

sounds like a top idea and very reasonable rates. Something we can all benefit from

:mr_cool:

7. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Thanks for the support dudes :oscar: