DJ Zinc explains why he left drum and bass behind

Sweaty Teddy

Nob'ed
VIP Junglist
Seen this posted on FB

earlier in the week, someone asked me on twitter why i stopped playing/making dnb - i replied that a big part was that some of factors that got me into the jungle scene had gone, and they asked me to expand - so i said i'd put a post on here cos 140 characters aint enough...

firstly, i loved the way that the sound of the music was always evolving rapidly - as technology was advancing and the different producers bounced off each other the results were cutting edge, half the fun was trying to work out how people made certain sounds. that seemed to slow down roundabout the same time that dubstep blew up - i guess lots of the young producers that would have got into dnb got into that instead, and after about 2004/5 when ITB producing became possible the technology hasn't really moved on that much (imo).

also, the people making jungle had come from all different musical backgrounds, so they brought all these different elements with them. when it got to the point that a lot of the producers had grown up on jungle/dnb it became too self referencing for me - nearly every track sounded like a slightly better produced version of another track.

another thing is that the people that went to dnb nights seemed to change and not be so close to how i grew up. quite a complicated one that, and i don't want to offend anyone - one way i look at it is 'what kind of music would i be into now if i was 16' and the answer is probably not dnb. (i reckon grime or house, but who knows for sure!) before the lynch mob get going, i'll always love jungle, it was a golden moment in music history and i was blessed to be part of it. that music took me round the world many times and through it i met some great people and had some unforgettable times.

obviously these are my opinions and not facts - i'm sure many people will disagree...

have a great xmas and new year :D

danwell

BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT
VIP Junglist
I agree with him. I don't have the same background but I totally agree. A lot of Dnb producers are influenced by others. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's easy to do. But back then it must've been way more creative. Just my opinion

Dagz

WE ARE THE MASTERS
VIP Junglist
Dont want to read, very sad, Zinc was sick!

Does it say something like "It's been imotonal" at the end that would be epic

sam the dnb man

Variation
VIP Junglist
I agree with him. I don't have the same background but I totally agree. A lot of Dnb producers are influenced by others. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's easy to do. But back then it must've been way more creative. Just my opinion
Yeah its a big issue that has been getting on my nerves.
A lot of people who make D&B listen to just D&B and nothing else. Its the same with a lot of electronic genres. I try not to listen to D&B before I make a tune. I just listen to Tool or something.

Sweaty Teddy

Nob'ed
VIP Junglist
Says how when it started it was a golden moment in history blah blah but now he no likey. and yeha I ain't really just all about D&B I will go through phases where it is all I listen to but then after I just listen to all sorts of shit been loving the UK hip hop, reggae and even been getting back in to the metal/rock side of things again lately, more of a nostalgic thing though not really been looking for any new metal bands.

Last edited:

Gumby

VIP Junglist
i think its difficult to stay completely involved in 1 music genre for a long period of time. It only seems natural to have your music tastes change.

Just take this forum or example. Stu started it when he was into DnB, now he's not.
Most of the people that posted here 5 years ago have left (me included for a little while).

I still like dnb but I actually cant listen to it for long periods of time without getting bored.

I'm a hip hop fiend now. But DnB got me here (y)

And its the same story for many others. its life. no one should have to explain/justify their personal preferences.

Dagz

WE ARE THE MASTERS
VIP Junglist
Yeah i was talking in the general section to someone and they was basically saying that producers make music to fit the times. Its kind of right in a way.

And in Zinc's defence anywhere he goes he's going to kill it. When he went and done the crack house thing he still made some good tracks. Check out Zinc - Music Makers. I say good luck to him he did some great things for us

Moskit

:rodigan:
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
I'm probably being too cynical, but its just a polite way of saying it got so stagnant around 2004/5 he wanted to remove his own ears & he'd be right...

I love mixing old jungle and there are a handful of producers not in the main limelight of d&b that do it for me, but apart from that, on the whole it bores me senseless.

Just look at what ram are putting out these days, its embarrassing.

d-low

I know you got soul
VIP Junglist
sure ram, hospital, viper etc. churn out their garbage monthly!

However, you would be silly to think there is no original music being made at this tempo (if you were so interested in it), you have to dig a little deeper because the market is flooded with tripe, but you would find it.

Anyway, I'm not going to stand up for a tempo on a drum and bass forum. Each to their own.

charlie131

VIP Junglist
i do get what he means about "if i was 16 what would i be into" at the moment house and garage are where its at for me, the vibe of dnb is sort of being lost in the production standards, no one can make a half arse tune which has a sick groove, everything has to be so well produced now that its eliminating the fun. Don't get me wrong I still love a lot of the dnb that comes out, new prodcuers like mortem and a like are showing that the scene has an unreal talent pool, but take noisia for instance some of their tunes just sound like they've tried to make the most ridiculous baseline in the world and lost the rhythm of the track, some people love that, but for me at the moment, the way house has come back with all these garage elements and producers like shadow child making these dirty house beats, its no wonder people are flipping over. I saw Dj Die do a disco set two weeks ago and it was sick. Skream is now making disco and tech house stuff, intalex has flipped over.

Just my opnion so i'm expecting it to get slated hahaha