DJ Zinc explains why he left drum and bass behind

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Sweaty Teddy, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Sweaty Teddy

Sweaty Teddy Nob'ed

Seen this posted on FB

2. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

I agree with him. I don't have the same background but I totally agree. A lot of Dnb producers are influenced by others. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's easy to do. But back then it must've been way more creative. Just my opinion

3. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

Dont want to read, very sad, Zinc was sick!

Does it say something like "It's been imotonal" at the end that would be epic

4. danwell

Just read it you tart

Dagz likes this.
  5. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Yeah its a big issue that has been getting on my nerves.
    A lot of people who make D&B listen to just D&B and nothing else. Its the same with a lot of electronic genres. I try not to listen to D&B before I make a tune. I just listen to Tool or something.

6. Sweaty Teddy

Sweaty Teddy Nob'ed

Says how when it started it was a golden moment in history blah blah but now he no likey. and yeha I ain't really just all about D&B I will go through phases where it is all I listen to but then after I just listen to all sorts of shit been loving the UK hip hop, reggae and even been getting back in to the metal/rock side of things again lately, more of a nostalgic thing though not really been looking for any new metal bands.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  7. Gumby

Gumby New Member

i think its difficult to stay completely involved in 1 music genre for a long period of time. It only seems natural to have your music tastes change.

Just take this forum or example. Stu started it when he was into DnB, now he's not.
    Most of the people that posted here 5 years ago have left (me included for a little while).

I still like dnb but I actually cant listen to it for long periods of time without getting bored.

I'm a hip hop fiend now. But DnB got me here (y)

And its the same story for many others. its life. no one should have to explain/justify their personal preferences.

8. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Yeah same. The newest band I listen to is probably As I Lay Dying and one of their albums I rinse quite a bit is from around 2003.

Having said that I'm really into Tosin Abasi and I only heard of him last year

9. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

Yeah i was talking in the general section to someone and they was basically saying that producers make music to fit the times. Its kind of right in a way.

And in Zinc's defence anywhere he goes he's going to kill it. When he went and done the crack house thing he still made some good tracks. Check out Zinc - Music Makers. I say good luck to him he did some great things for us

10. danwell

I've been getting back into dubstep lately. Artists like biome and killawatt are doing it for me

11. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

I'm probably being too cynical, but its just a polite way of saying it got so stagnant around 2004/5 he wanted to remove his own ears & he'd be right...

I love mixing old jungle and there are a handful of producers not in the main limelight of d&b that do it for me, but apart from that, on the whole it bores me senseless.

Just look at what ram are putting out these days, its embarrassing.

12. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

I'd struggle to put out a top ten for this year. that says it all really.

13. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Breaking news

Esteemed forum member dirty breaks struggles to put together a Top 10 Drum & Bass tunes of 2012, claiming this "says it all".... is this the end of the dance music genre?

More at 6

14. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

sure ram, hospital, viper etc. churn out their garbage monthly!

However, you would be silly to think there is no original music being made at this tempo (if you were so interested in it), you have to dig a little deeper because the market is flooded with tripe, but you would find it.

Anyway, I'm not going to stand up for a tempo on a drum and bass forum. Each to their own.

15. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

lost a finger in a work accident eh old boy?

16. fuuz3r

fuuz3r KRISTJAN V

[​IMG]

17. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

I agree with this
    The only thing I can think of for drum and bass that has interested me this year as far as I can think, is Ruffhouse

18. charlie131

charlie131 Well-Known Member

i do get what he means about "if i was 16 what would i be into" at the moment house and garage are where its at for me, the vibe of dnb is sort of being lost in the production standards, no one can make a half arse tune which has a sick groove, everything has to be so well produced now that its eliminating the fun. Don't get me wrong I still love a lot of the dnb that comes out, new prodcuers like mortem and a like are showing that the scene has an unreal talent pool, but take noisia for instance some of their tunes just sound like they've tried to make the most ridiculous baseline in the world and lost the rhythm of the track, some people love that, but for me at the moment, the way house has come back with all these garage elements and producers like shadow child making these dirty house beats, its no wonder people are flipping over. I saw Dj Die do a disco set two weeks ago and it was sick. Skream is now making disco and tech house stuff, intalex has flipped over.

Just my opnion so i'm expecting it to get slated hahaha

19. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

gaaah..complaining on a high level imo.

20. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

hospitals output this year has been good, not their best year but it's been strong nonetheless.