DJ Vs Producer

emy

VIP Junglist
Debate on DJ ing and Producing Music

Do you need to produce music to make it big in the scene?

NOPE.

Look at brockie!

... 20 years ago you didnt have to. today this is more than necessary...

djing is easy and with todays software and development, this will continue and more likely become even more necessary than it is nowerdays .. if you want to do only djing, get on the turntables and make yourself SPECIAL, as in DMC-championship manor!

It really depends, successfull Dj....well gotta define succesfull first, playing out every weekend? I'm not sure thats wht you mean, but to me thats successfull, but then I'm a music whore, all I want to do is write and play music, dont really care if I can only just afford to live it up, long as I'm playing and writing, I'm lucky enough to play out allot, but definitly not successful in terms of £ and releases. maybe one day

I think to make it to the top as a Dj, you have to have something special, either a unique mixing style that sets the dancefloor on fire, or music which is fresh enough to do the job for you, or your own music, long as its good

To be fair Brockie & Blackmarket mentioned above have both produced in the past. Brockie a fair bit as well.

Back in the days of Brockie playing on Kool FM the amount of competition was a lot less than there is now!

Becoming a DJ in 2010 is so much cheaper than it used to be!!

Back in 96 I had to get a loan to get my first set of decks and I could only afford to buy a couple of tunes a week. You don't even need to buy decks now!

did tunes with peshay and heist.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/AMC+(3)

way before you knew him. but yeah, there are some that are mostly known because of her dj sets.. mr noise is aswell as you may know :D

but tbh, as i said, youd need to be a VERY good dj and have looots of luck to get into a position like these two.

That's not AMC as in 3+ Decks/DNBArena AMC, it's someone else.
AMC has got tunes forthcoming with a few producers though, as well as working on his own tracks.
It's fair to say he's got where he has down to his djing and a shite load of hardwork.
Hopefully getting some tight tunes signed with propel him even more.

I think you will find ED solo did all the work and put brockies name on them to aid sales.

Still put's his names in the producer credits though doesn't it! That's the point.

I could be a personal friend of Jubei's for instance, get him to make a massive tune, put me as a colab producer......

Bob's your uncle!

what about making it big just as a producer, and not djing?

quite impossible aswell. people wanna see you live if you make decent music, so you gotta do something. be it djing or ableton live performance.

seems as though if you are a half decent producer you can get sets even if you can't mix nowadays though, it just ain't right!!!

if you cant play you shouldnt be doing it. we were offered our first booking without even having an idea of how to play it aswell, but we know we can mix and got quite some time left still to plan something.. but come on, its as i said. everyone is able to buy some releases and mix them together, but thats not what people wanna hear. they want to hear new dubs, their fav producer and most loved tunes..

but isnt everyone like that? id prefer a set with a really good selection of new material - even if the mixes arent that sweet all the time - over someone whose mixing in a new tune every 30 seconds but only plays "old" stuff/stuff i could be mixing at home aswell..

some kind of a different argument, but things i hate more than "old" tunes or a "bad" dj or even producers who cant mix (like logistics :D) is a dj gone digital with serato and still cant beatmatch, wtf were you thinking? you should have got traktor ...

Back
Top Bottom