dj Sets

spunta

how come drum and bass dj sets only last 45mins to hour. I went to a techno rave the a few weeks ago and the head line dj played for 3hrs is because they would run out of records

iv never seen anyone play for 45 mins.....

they should normally do at least 2 hour set....unless there are quite afew big name dj's that are playing all on one night, they all cant play for as long as they want too.

depends on the promoter & the DJ's ability to fill the "slot"

I like to see a DnB DJ that can roll 25 tunes in an hour, and keep shit interesting. As far as a techno dj goes, there music is much more boring, i would expect to see them play 30-50 tunes in an hour.

As a promoter, you dont want to have too many people playing the show. You dont want to pay everyone. And you want the headliner to have a showcase slot, (who wants to see the promoter play for 3 hours and the headliner for 1 hour?)

all that stuff is really relative. Its a matter of what you like, and you should support it accordingly.

iv never seen anyone play for 45 mins.....

they should normally do at least 2 hour set....unless there are quite afew big name dj's that are playing all on one night, they all cant play for as long as they want too.

that really only applies to Australian gigs with big name internationals though, not nights with just locals. Its part of the reason UK DJs love touring. Go to a rave in the UK, they're all big names, and 45 minutes is common unfortunately.

o_Ohonestly, that would shit me.

yeah its a bit different to us. I found it hard to complain getting Ed Rush then Fabio then Andy C then Marky all in a row, but the longest set I saw was Marky's at Movement. Apparently its worse at the big raves.

I'd like to see a night where Melbourne locals get some nice long sets too, especially Joe Seven.

yeah its a bit different to us. I found it hard to complain getting Ed Rush then Fabio then Andy C then Marky all in a row, but the longest set I saw was Marky's at Movement. Apparently its worse at the big raves.

I'd like to see a night where Melbourne locals get some nice long sets too, especially Joe Seven.

yeah joe is up there, for locals i also like kier and safire.

Last edited:
This happens here in the states too. Most times locals and lesser knowns get 45 mins to an hour and the headliner usually gets a 1 1/2 hour set. I would love more 1.5-2 hour sets but promoters seem to think the more djs on the bill the better.

agree with illone, the promoters must often think 'hmm this flier is still looking a bit empty- better call some more djs'. as with a lot of tings quality is better than quantity. except money.
all 2 often shorter sets have djs trying to get the set 'fave' tunes (usually 3 or 4 anight) into every set, which in 45 mins is ridiculous.

agree with illone, the promoters must often think 'hmm this flier is still looking a bit empty- better call some more djs'. as with a lot of tings quality is better than quantity. except money.

That's just not the case. Ask most headline DJs for a 2hr set in the UK and they'll want 2x the fee...

So you have a choice do you want 1 A list DJ for 2hrs or 2 DJs playing an hr each? (or even 1 A list and 2 B list for similar money).

1 name DJ playing a longer set simply won't fill most club nights.

Back
Top Bottom