DJ/Promoter Jailed for people taking drugs in a club

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by ScottyEightSix, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

Not the full story but I saw it in Mixmag before...

Manoucehr Bahmanzadeh owner of Plymouth, UK, superclub Dance Academy and club manager/DJ Tom Costelloe recently received nine year and five year jail terms respectively, after being found guilty of allowing ‘rampant’ sales of ecstasy at their venue. Passing judgment, Judge Francis Gilbert QC singled out the hard house and trance music genres that the Academy usually played as factors in the case, declaring ‘the truth is ecstasy was part of the culture of the premises; the music was associated with the taking of ecstasy. Ecstasy was a major factor in attracting people to the club and its profitability’.

He also cited Tom Costelloe’s personal use of ecstasy and cannabis in deciding the length of jail term, after cops found two pills in his house. “I will accept that in terms of profit your gain was very limited; if anything, you were underpaid,” Judge Gilbert conceded. “Your profit was in being the man running the biggest club in the South West,” he decreed.

Judge Jules, who DJed at the high profile venue a number of times, spoke out following the sentencing declaring; “whilst I can’t comment on the specifics of this case, it looks like a worrying precedent for all owners of licensed premises. There’s only so far that licensees and owners can go to eradicate drug use from their businesses,” Jules pointed out. “Jailing those who fail in this department is a very draconian way of dealing with a frequently unenforceable standard.”

Civil liberties campaigner Steve Rolles from drugs charity Transform also attacked the sentences. “I think the useful comparison here is with alcohol licensing; the unlicensed sale of alcohol, or allowing its unlicensed sale, would never attract a prison sentence and rarely even a criminal prosecution,” said Steve. “In this case we see another drug, ecstasy, that due to a quirk of history is illegal, but that according to the government’s own appointed experts is less harmful than alcohol, and is certainly associated with considerably less social nuisance, being treated in a dramatically different way.”

The Judge’s summing up bore remarkable similarities to clauses in America’s notorious RAVE act, which the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) neatly described in an essay titled ‘What the RAVE Act means to you’, in 2003. “The RAVE Act unfairly punishes businesses for the crimes of their customers. Businesses can be prosecuted even if they were not involved in drugs in any way – and even if they took steps to stop drug use on their property,” the ACLU said.

2. BeyondTherapy

BeyondTherapy Well-Known Member

bollocks .... ive worked in 2 major clubs , 1 in london and 1 in brighton , managers and owners KNOW DOORSTAFF AND TEAMS OF PEOPLE SELL WITHIN THE CLUB they get a cut of it , only time you see a sercurity staff action the removal of drug sellers is they have come on to someone elses patch , they get removed and there drugs taken off them and sold on .

goverments can ban smoking but dont do shit about the drug scene ...... dont make sence "wankers"

3. Dj-Pezzz

Dj-Pezzz HangOutWithYourWangOut

my friends dad was in charge of that whole operation (the raid) which obv. led to them going down.......kinda sucks but to be fair...u could buy pills off the bouncers and most of the staff in there...not surprised it got shut downnn

4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

is that grounds for a ban? on you i mean?

5. mini_molko

mini_molko Member

That's pretty harsh, I remember vaguely hearing about it ages ago... Apparently they also found asbestos in the roof of the club.

6. perspective

perspective Sex Drugs & Sausage Rolls

I think its fair if he was in on it as well, when I started reading it I thought it was probably just the bar staff or bouncers who were in on it.

At the end of the day, whether you agree with it or not then it is the law, and if I was in a prominent position as this guy then I wouldn't risk it by being involved in something like that, whether or not people are going to be dealing in the club.

7. Dj-Pezzz

Dj-Pezzz HangOutWithYourWangOut

well i only found out it was her dad after it had happened...i dont even think she knew..! & this girl is hottt so we couldnt mess with her, specially seeing as her dad was head cheif of devon & cornwall police...eeeeeek!

Im innocent i swear!!!

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

ok well theres a red card in the pipeline for you if you dont bone her very soon.