DJ monitors?

Solace

VIP Junglist
So, at the moment I'm using cheap logitech pc-speakers.
I do have a pair of KRK rokit 5's, but they are next to my laptop, for production.

So my question, should I buy a new pair of (not too expensive) monitors for djing?
Or, should I buy 1 more KRK 5? Because one of my krk's now in perfectly in the middle of my laptop and dj gear, so when i buy another one for the other side of my dj gear, I have monitors for everthing I need.

So what do you guys think? New set, or 1 more KRK (note, the KRK will probably be of the new generation, and the old ones I have now are from the old generation)
Budget: €200-300(max)
that's about 270 to 400 USdollars i think

Bonus! I'm also looking for a decent, but not too expensive 3 channel mixer, ideas?
(not the lazy 2+1 channels, I mean 3 'full' channels for cdj/turntable inputs)
edit: a 4 channel is fine too ofcourse, if decently priced

Last edited:
I would say get another Rokit 5, I use them for DJing and best moniters i have had (so far) also regarding a mixer I have a behringer NOX303, has 3 channels and pretty cheap mixer, had mine for about 6 months and does everything you want it to do (though I am thinking of getting an allen and heath DB2 on finance but that shit expensive)

Seems you answered your monitor problem yourself. You'll never have a mix and produce at the same time...unless your octopussy or something. So get another Rokit 5.

Mixer wise...your question is a little difficult.

3 full channels, depending on what you are using can cost upwards of £500 new.
Quite a few people on here user the Ecler mixers, which are a good build quality, and at a reasonable price. I have a DJM600, which is just a no thrills mixer.

Even if you were to lump up the money and buy a Xone 42, you couldn't do 3 decks vinyl as there are only two phono outputs, so you'd have to look at the 62 which is more expensive but has everything to meet your needs.

Good hunting.

Alright, another KRK it is then. the fact that its a newer generation wont make a difference I guess, right?

For the mixer: Right now, I use 2 turntables and traktor scratch. But also have a cdj collecting dust right now.
So I'd like to connect the 2 turntables (via scratch) and the cdj, so I can actually do some 3 decks mixing

I was indeed looking at the NOX303, and also the reloop RMX 40 (4channel mixer)
I will take a look at the Eclers, didn't heard of these, so I'll check this out

Allen & Heath/Pioneer is certainly on my wishlist, but right now it's out of my pricerange..

Thanks alot for some quick replies!

I would definitely go with an Ecler. The warmth of an A&H at a fraction of the cost.

As far as monitors, I'm a big fan of mixing on regular speakers. Monitors are made for production, not dj'ing. When I dj, I want the sound to be colored. Monitors tend to sound harsh and give you ear fatigue. I would always go with speakers and an amp over monitors.

Alright, another KRK it is then. the fact that its a newer generation wont make a difference I guess, right?

!

Check the Production forum, some dudes just posted about some seized stock and they have loads of old gen Rokits. Duno if they'll ship abroad tho

Mixerwise, I'll follow the advice and go with an Ecler. The missing fx-unit is a bit of a setback, but no biggie.
I'll save a bit and go for the 4channel one

As far as monitors, I'm a big fan of mixing on regular speakers.

So you would rather advice on a upgrade on my logitechs?
Anything speakers you would recommend?

@Russla: found the thread, found some rokit 5's, and I might just send an email- when I'm sure of my choice
thanks for the tip!

Mixerwise, I'll follow the advice and go with an Ecler. The missing fx-unit is a bit of a setback, but no biggie.
I'll save a bit and go for the 4channel one

So you would rather advice on a upgrade on my logitechs?
Anything speakers you would recommend?

@Russla: found the thread, found some rokit 5's, and I might just send an email- when I'm sure of my choice
thanks for the tip!

Do a little research on high quality book shelf speakers. There are a ton on the second hand market that thump.

If you're worried about effects and you use Traktor, look into the NI X1. You won't regret it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, personally, I would sell that cdj to finance the other stuff and stick the DVS/X1 combo. I'm not really saying you should, but that's just what I'd do. With the X1 and DVS you can have control of 4 decks and all the Traktor effects.

agree with afek on the amp and speakers, but another krk will be alot cheaper. if you do look into the passive route check out b&ws 600 series

For minitiors I'd reccomend bowers & wilkins DM602 S3.

Amazing sound quality. Can probably pick up a very good pair for £200.

yea i have looked into getting a small controller... I have thought about selling the CDJ, but the reason I'm keeping it now, is that I know how to work one when getting in a club. (or is it a shit reason and should I sell it?)

I will take a look at some passive speakers and I'll compare some prices and stuff...

I think it's really important to learn to play on cdj's, but it's a touchy subject on here that leads to a lot of hurt feelings, so I'll leave it at that.

I wouldn't think of the X1 as a controller, but more of a great complement to DVS.

yea i have looked into getting a small controller... I have thought about selling the CDJ, but the reason I'm keeping it now, is that I know how to work one when getting in a club. (or is it a shit reason and should I sell it?)

I will take a look at some passive speakers and I'll compare some prices and stuff...

If it's not a Pioneer CDJ then sell it.

If it's not a Pioneer CDJ then sell it.

It's a pioneer alright, an 850

I think I'll just keep it... Next month I'll have enough cash for new speakers/ or a krk (not sure yet), and a mixer. Since I have my eye on the 4 channel NUO, I think I'll keep the cdj...

Back
Top Bottom