DJ Krust - The Fundamentalist / Another Story (NEW)

Vydx

VIP Junglist
https://temporecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-fundamentalist
https://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/vin...-krust-the-fundamentalist-golden-picture-disc

clips on redeye, what do you guys think? think the guy deserves the utmost respect for continuing to innovate.

Last edited:
I love krust, especially his tunes from the 90's.. but to me, if I'm being honest, these tunes are very poor in comparison. Lacking in ideas, mundane beats. If a newbie made them they'd get ignored. They sound like software pre-sets and the sounds aren't very interesting....out of ideas?

There are other producers making much better these days. That said, his classics soul in motion, genetic manipulation e.p and true stories are the truly amazing still.....

His best tracks unfold and evolve adding elements, apparently he used to record them live to get this style. I think this may be difficult to do in this day and age? The warmth and analogue bass especially. There were no boundaries to these older tracks... he ignored standards and that's why those tracks were so unique.

The previous release on this label by DJ Trace was poor also I thought, both artists releasing much better elsewhere, especially much earlier in their careers.

Just my opinion, you guys clearly love them and no disrespect to the artists as I love their other music.

Last edited:
you can't really tell how they're gonna "evolve" from clips can you. bit unfair... I'm just glad he hasn't gone down the cheesy x-factor style dnb route like Roni

True you can't hear them evolve... Though I can tell they don't .... same as his recent 31 recs single.... which was monotonous for me. What I can hear of them in the clips is dull, to be honest. Yeah, Roni's new music is terrible.

Krust's best music was made on hardware and had that big warm analogue bass and these sound thin and grey in comparison to me. Kid drama has done a couple of tracks that capture this style really well recently though.

liking that. seen the name kid drama, never checked his tunes

lol, what is that?
talking about the Taking Kontrol album he did a while back. bloody awful.

this review summed it up nicely

"this is bit like seeing a once-great footballer signing for your local pub team hoping they can recreate that old magic but instead they spend the twenty minutes that they can manage of a game wheezing and getting tackled by a fifteen year old."

talking about the Taking Kontrol album he did a while back. bloody awful.

this review summed it up nicely

"this is bit like seeing a once-great footballer signing for your local pub team hoping they can recreate that old magic but instead they spend the twenty minutes that they can manage of a game wheezing and getting tackled by a fifteen year old."
Ok, I "missed" that album. Really horrible music, had to stop skipping through after 5 tunes.

It's bizarre how some producers utterly lose the ability to make good music.... or is it that they're chasing money for the gigs with jump up shite to get booked for the raves? If that is the case, it's more acceptable i reckon. I can relate to selling out to make some money when you need it. I remember j-majik went from being the skywalker of d&b in the 90's to spending a decade making absolute garbage. What the hell happened? Roni the same....

It's bizarre how some producers utterly lose the ability to make good music.... or is it that they're chasing money for the gigs with jump up shite to get booked for the raves? If that is the case, it's more acceptable i reckon. I can relate to selling out to make some money when you need it. I remember j-majik went from being the skywalker of d&b in the 90's to spending a decade making absolute garbage. What the hell happened? Roni the same....

That early-mid 2000's Krust never sat right with me. Its like Krust got dragged along into making some terrible jump up tunes. I've brought it up on here before that all those jump up tunes had an end that was innovative, it was like the real Krust was trying to break out. Actually here you are, posted examples in here https://dnbforum.com/threads/the-ends-of-krusts-mid-2000s-tunes.194294/

But yeah, likely followed the cash, now hes doing it for himself

That early-mid 2000's Krust never sat right with me. Its like Krust got dragged along into making some terrible jump up tunes. I've brought it up on here before that all those jump up tunes had an end that was innovative, it was like the real Krust was trying to break out. Actually here you are, posted examples in here https://dnbforum.com/threads/the-ends-of-krusts-mid-2000s-tunes.194294/

But yeah, likely followed the cash, now hes doing it for himself

totally agree, the tunes posted in your thread here are to big bold and obvious, clown music for clowns..... all the depth went. Jump up, but not good jump up

I much prefer the 90's bristol d&B. The whole V rec / Dope Dragon / Full Cycle crew were bang on it on the 90's

i prefer:

and this one is a masterpiece:

cool...assumed he was a new guy.

I actually don't mind some of that early/mid 2000s full cycle jump up era. not saying it compares to the earlier stuff but I can listen to it... it's the popstar synth-cheese stuff I can't handle

Not really feeling this or his contribution to the V Legends series, but if this is anything to go off in relation to his forthcoming album, then I can see why Om Unit has been shouting about it. Similar to the downtempo stuff he plugs around the 160 mark

Not really feeling this or his contribution to the V Legends series, but if this is anything to go off in relation to his forthcoming album, then I can see why Om Unit has been shouting about it. Similar to the downtempo stuff he plugs around the 160 mark

you think this is bad, so you understand why other people think his forthcoming album is good?

i think part of the reason i'm not overly into the new stuff is that it sounds very NORMALISED and GREY.... part of the attraction of his older music was the crazy bleeps and wooshes and crazy sub bass notes coming out of nowhere and constantly being added to and re-arranged...... remember the mental sharp noises 'ZING!!' that came out of nowhere on 'true stories'..... the mad sounds in 'soul in motion' that sounded like an amplified cricket running it legs together? those kind of noises wouldn't even make it past a recording engineer now and get pressed onto wax as such excessive stand out random noises would blow stuff up... no ZINGS!! ... allowed!

here's more of his crazy stuff my brain is expecting to hear....

Mistakes and innovative use of the tools gave good results in the hardware era. Krust would’ve been in his element pushing buttons, breaking things and making things sound cool as a result. It’s much harder to work like that with software and unless you are a technical savant like Break or DLR, it’s not easy to bend the software plugins to your will and experiment until things sound the way you want them to.

They used to intentionally run the Mackie desks into the red because the analogue distortion gave a great sounding effect. I’m sure some people still do this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom