DJ Hype uses Serato now...

For anyone interested in hype's decision to switch after pioneering and maintaining the viynl thing for so long, watch this video. He is given a nice bit of time to explain and gets his points across well. Personally i will always play and buy vinyl, but watching this makes me understand that for his style of djing (combining mixing/turntablism) it makes sense. However dont get me wrong the best dj's in this scene still play vinyl, dont think i have EVER been out and thought 'fuck me this guy is tearing it up' on cdjs. peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Always agreed with Hype on the stance that "You're a record label, and you're a record label - yet you're playing cds and playing serato, how can you expect people to pay for vinyl".

It's one thing I've never really got. If you run a label, surely you've got TP's of all your releases, so why not just bring a few of them out and play them in between the dubplateCDs that you're pushing on the night? If they're out on general release and you're going to be playing them, then why not? Think it just shows a slight consideration for the punters that keep you in 'business'.

Saying that though, I support and believe in any format you play is the right format if it works for you, so just do what you gotta do.

Although, I can't wait to see how the scene reacts to the first DJ showing up with JUST a USB stick, when clubs have CDJ2000s as standard......

as long as it chills him out a bit im all for it. never met anyone in the dnb scene with an ego/ attitude/ stressy girl problem quite like him. fucking ridiculous

my opinion on serato is this. I recently switched to it last year. I have always played vinyl and for those who have not tried serato, please do it with 1200s. the feel is exactly the same and in my opinion it is not considered cheating as you are still using the vinyl for control of the pitch. also cant do any pre recorded mess when using the control vinyl because they are only about 10min long. I guess you could switch to internal mode and be the next Mistabishi. anyway I still try to buy vinyl when i can afford it but,mp3s are just so damn easy to get anf the sound while not fat and warm like vinyl,is still pretty good.just sayin..

FUCKING DEAL WITH IT.

Most of his set is still on vinyl, I don't understand people who whinge about advances in technology.

FUCK THE CAR IT'S A DEVILMACHINE, MAN WAS MADE TO WALK YO

Always agreed with Hype on the stance that "You're a record label, and you're a record label - yet you're playing cds and playing serato, how can you expect people to pay for vinyl".

It's one thing I've never really got. If you run a label, surely you've got TP's of all your releases, so why not just bring a few of them out and play them in between the dubplateCDs that you're pushing on the night? If they're out on general release and you're going to be playing them, then why not? Think it just shows a slight consideration for the punters that keep you in 'business'.

Saying that though, I support and believe in any format you play is the right format if it works for you, so just do what you gotta do.

Although, I can't wait to see how the scene reacts to the first DJ showing up with JUST a USB stick, when clubs have CDJ2000s as standard......

thats what me mate does its ajoke, im stuggling with all my records and his got 900 tunes in that tiny pocket on his jeans..... well not fair...
i think that if your signed to a label etc and your gonna play thier or your own tunes, and thier released, thatyou should be playing em on vinyl... even if your signed to a vinyl label you should be playing em, without a doubt and especially if you own one, its like being alex furguson but supportin chelsea

Can't really fault him, as he said was really just him, Andy, Friction, and a handful of others keeping the dub scene alive. The "war" is long lost and he did everything he could so you definitely can't slate him. IMO the younger producers who have gotten big in the last 2-3 years really killed it off b/c they would come along and have a big tune or two, and they weren't playing vinyl (partly b/c they probably had no money lol). Some kid hears a few tunes of theirs on Radio1 and they go see them live, what do they care if they're using CDs? A lot of them probably listen to music on Youtube lol. So you got the old guys still trying to keep it alive and the new breed get more love for then and they're showing up with a wallet of CDs and haven't had to lug a record box all over, who could blame them?

A couple years ago it might have still been a bit taboo seeing big DJ playing CDs, but now it seems at the point where you're surprised if someone pulls out a record. I've always been of the mindset that things can co-exist. I've never been one to choose one thing or another. For some reason in society there always seems to be this need to only support one way and to make everything the same. I think there's a place for both vinyl and CD/digital. Good example is the way Futurebound plays out. He plays both Vinyl and CD which lets him use 3-4 decks.

Can't really fault him, as he said was really just him, Andy, Friction, and a handful of others keeping the dub scene alive. The "war" is long lost and he did everything he could so you definitely can't slate him. IMO the younger producers who have gotten big in the last 2-3 years really killed it off b/c they would come along and have a big tune or two, and they weren't playing vinyl (partly b/c they probably had no money lol). Some kid hears a few tunes of theirs on Radio1 and they go see them live, what do they care if they're using CDs? A lot of them probably listen to music on Youtube lol. So you got the old guys still trying to keep it alive and the new breed get more love for then and they're showing up with a wallet of CDs and haven't had to lug a record box all over, who could blame them?

A couple years ago it might have still been a bit taboo seeing big DJ playing CDs, but now it seems at the point where you're surprised if someone pulls out a record. I've always been of the mindset that things can co-exist. I've never been one to choose one thing or another. For some reason in society there always seems to be this need to only support one way and to make everything the same. I think there's a place for both vinyl and CD/digital. Good example is the way Futurebound plays out. He plays both Vinyl and CD which lets him use 3-4 decks.

Well I think it depends on what the "local dj" plays and lets say 3-4 years ago you wouldn't see any local dj playing cds. As soon as most of local dj's, they are the main vinyl customer, switch to digital, vinyl is lost. Seeing a big name DJ playing only digital tunes on serato, will change heads and it already did for alot. (just check the amounts of people open a thread on here, doa, dnba, about serato, scratch etc.) I'm not saying it's Hype's fault as you said, there's plenty of "new" artist who get forthcomming tracks all of them playing either cd or serato/scratch. I think labels should release their mp3's after full release, thats really the only way to keep vinyl alive, that novelty to have it before everyone else but saying that it's probably already to late.

Last edited:

i wasnt jus trying to fault him, jus in general if evryone in the scene is playin cd's, and still running record labels, then i kinda see it as thier fault and therefore they shouldn't really moan about it when record sales hit an all tome low. no offence to anyone but you know how it is...

I hope so. Imagine having the bluescreen of death come up in your set...

Kernel panic is just as bad imo!!

Kernel_Panic-1p0f.png

Is the reason its so important to support vinyl that artists can't survive of the money generated from digital releases? or is it just a nostalgia thing?

Well I think it depends on what the "local dj" plays and lets say 3-4 years ago you wouldn't see any local dj playing cds. As soon as most of local dj's, they are the main vinyl customer, switch to digital, vinyl is lost. Seeing a big name DJ playing only digital tunes on serato, will change heads and it already did for alot. (just check the amounts of people open a thread on here, doa, dnba, about serato, scratch etc.) I'm not saying it's Hype's fault as you said, there's plenty of "new" artist who get forthcomming tracks all of them playing either cd or serato/scratch. I think labels should release their mp3's after full release, thats really the only way to keep vinyl alive, that novelty to have it before everyone else but saying that it's probably already to late.
Ya you're definitely right mate, local DJs and ppl just coming up in the scene are main vinyl customers. That's the other thing with digital, it's so easy to transfer tunes on AIM and stuff and thing with DNB is that being a relatively small scene in general, everybody knows everyone and once you are in the scene and know people you don't have to pay for any tunes b/c you can just get them off other producers etc.

I mean even myself, there isn't one song I couldn't get my hands on if I really wanted to. I still buy stuff, but in DNB everybody thinks they're a part of the scene. All the producers, label people, promoters, DJs, etc. etc. So say there's some new tune out on another label, I could easily hit them up and ask for the tune and they'd send it no problem. Years ago you wouldn't really have that option b/c maybe they send out some TPs to the big DJs or something, but not like you could send out a few hundred vinyl copies to every DJ. Now you get MP3 copy of an album in your inbox (as a producer) so the scene has kind of cannibalized itself because it has taken many of its biggest purchasers (other producers) out of the equation.

It's just one of those things though. You can't fight technology. The thing DNB labels... well all labels actually, need to do is negotiate MUCH stronger rates for digital sales. As someone else said, labels make more money from vinyl, i.e. it's better to sell 500 vinyl than 500 mp3s. The rates that the digital shops take are a joke though. Itunes started the whole mess but unfortunately somehow it got adopted across the board so even sites like Beatport & DNBA are keeping 40% or so of the sale.

Think about what a joke that is. What are the costs of running a digital download store vs. running vinyl distribution? With vinyl you have to have a press, labels printed, warehouse, expensive shipping, etc. The overhead obiously is 10X the amount of running a digital download store, so how we (labels) ever let the digital shops get a higher percentage take than traditional distributors is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom