Dj Guv - Warning. Discuss.

KBJ

Now, dont get me wrong its a good tune (I've been to Fabric when its been dropped and also heard it play on the RC1 System, and rewound in either instance) but just curious as to peoples opinion of it and its production. Its a simple bit of drum programming, a synth and an aligned sub but you cant deny its popularity on the scene. In my opinion, its pure simplicity that makes it a dance floor hit, its uncomplicated, anthemic in the same way Mr Happy is/was, the vocal (from Biggy Smalls 'Warning', track of the same name) is provocative and the build to the drop pulls same energy. I dont think there is a perfect DNA for a jump up tune, though I think there is a general set of criteria you follow in order to qualify for at least the genre, which of course Warning does. Importantly, the track feels 'joined-up', I'd add that to its success as a tune (8367 on Spotify and counting) - a lot of tunes feel disjointed sometimes, where its evident the producer has found a great new b-line that is being wedged into a tune, without really considering its relationship with all the other elements, it ends up feeling disparate. Its worth pointing out that although I've been into the DB/Jungle scene for 20 odd years, I've only just started producing (Ableton + Push) so I suppose my comments are led by that, I dont want to over analyse a tune, neither do I want to deconstruct it or think that I am going to produce anything to second Warning anytime soon, but when a tune lands (see; Mr Happy) that gets almost immediate traction, I sort of want to know its DNA. Maybe that in itself then poses a real problem, that once you do that, you end up formulaic, or on the bandwagon.

I think my last point, if this is a 'why is it a massive tune' post, is that it crests the current zeitgeist in EDM, that tech synth and the punching sub, sat as one unit, which DB owes a great favour to Dubstep. Not to just completely contradict my entire post but I'm not a huge fan of Guv tbh, his tunes have been unsuccessfully aped by quite a few producers and I kinda think Guv is the man to blame, if we are to start pointing fingers. Thats just the bandwagon I referred earlier. That said, Warning is a popular tune, its marriage with the dance floor is seemingly perfect. I cant help thinking about Zombie Nation, remember that? Theres another riff that becomes an anthem.

Well those are my thoughts, like I say, I'm just an amateur producer having a go, just trying to learn the ropes whilst also adding a bit of curious thought and a bit of theory. Go easy on me.

Last edited:
Its a massive tune because pill heads and scum rinse it on there laptop speakers in council flats, the whole estate goes erratic and manic and starts raving from this one guys laptop.

That 'immediate traction' is not something personally you can just figure out how, the producer doesnt know its gonna be like that when they make it.

That 'immediate traction' is not something personally you can just figure out how, the producer doesnt know its gonna be like that when they make it.
Yeh I agree its not to figure out necessarily, I reckon if you start from that angle you will probably make a mediocre tune anyway. But sometimes a producer does pull one from the (brown) paper bag and often its someone else, not them, who says, "Hold on, wait, thats the track you should release from the album". Which was exactly what happened with Roni, he thought BPB was just a filler for the album. So yeh, add into the mix all the other factors like promotion, marketing, release dates, exposure etc, maybe another element to Guv's track are all the mechanics of hearing the thing in the first place. Ultimately one notable DJ plays it out at a massive club, thats not exactly going to dent the traction efforts (or Hype, on Kiss). Mind you, BPB is kinda timeless, Warning ain't.

Last edited:
Both them tracks have basslines easy to remember, or something about them that you can pin point if you just think of the name. Im not sure about guv or other producers but i have tracks that i havnt played people, ive been told a few times by other guys in music to have a big rooster and pick the best, im sure a lot of guys do this and i bet some tracks they like may get picked over ones that they like better, or if its a bigger name and has a lot of rep backing them, they obvsiouly have to release tunes that are right the media.

I'm just an amateur producer having a go, just trying to learn the ropes whilst also adding a bit of curious thought and a bit of theory

I used to dwell listening to other tracks thinking the same thing over and over again, how did they get them sounds, drums.. etc youl learn to just be curious with your own productions, what can i do next? things just click and the learning curve to achieve great sound takes some time but unlike other things, say sports, youl remember most of what you learn through production and the more you know the more ideas pop into your head, its not like you have to keep it up all the time to keep making sick stuff. Keep it up mate, im sure the questions you ask yourself will answer them selfs over time.

Keep it up mate, im sure the questions you ask yourself will answer them selfs over time.
Cheers mugatu, I hope so too. I've honestly found the learning curve steep yeh but the effort to reward ratio has so far been worth it. Its helped just going to a few clubs and hearing tunes (not just Warning) on a decent system, that answered a few questions in itself.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of this tune before so toddled off to youtube, searched for it and started listening. Intro was ok, build nice, drop.......................closed the browser tab within 3 seconds.

Jump up reaaaaaaaaaallllly needs a good kick up the arse. It hasn't progressed in nearly 15 years!

I'd never heard of this tune before so toddled off to youtube, searched for it and started listening. Intro was ok, build nice, drop.......................closed the browser tab within 3 seconds.

Jump up reaaaaaaaaaallllly needs a good kick up the arse. It hasn't progressed in nearly 15 years!
its gotten worse over the years
older jump up is better g dub etc

Yeah its getting pretty shit, but in a way that just makes all the old stuff even better

its gotten worse over the years
older jump up is better g dub etc

Yeah its getting pretty shit, but in a way that just makes all the old stuff even better

Yeah the older stuff around 2003 was brand new and exciting. (Tink Ya Bad, Miami Vice, etc) It was paving the way on a whole new tangent. The same formula has been rinsed and repeating ever since.

Tbh you can say that about pretty much all DNB though, if you think how much it changed between 94-97, nearly every style of DNB sounds exactly the same now as it did 10 years ago

Lord knows I'm not a jamp ap kinda guy, but to be fair, some of Decimal Bass/Konichi/Annix' stuff is pretty fucking good, they do stick to the formula to a degree, yes, but its a lot grittier & at least has some form of originality in both approach to production & the end product...

Roy Green & Protone are worth a mention too.

Different flex.

But yeah, this gave me ear cancer in about 5 seconds...

Back
Top Bottom