Dj Exchange Program

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Alan Fassioms, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Alan Fassioms

Alan Fassioms New Member

I'm a British dj residing in Belgium and have recently started to realise just how difficult it is for dj's like myself, living in small countries like Belgium, to get booked for important events in countries such as England or The States. No matter how good you might be (and believe me Belgium has some top quality acts), once you say your from Belgium they don't want to know. We may occasionally get booked for a gig in neighbouring Holland and even more seldom in France. But apart from that, nada.

I even came into contact recently with some very talented Irish dj/producers who had the same complaint. It's got to a point now where some colleagues of mine here in Belgium would be willing to play for free just for the chance to experience what it's like to send a British or American crowd completely of their heads as they so frequently do over here. Why should only the big British names get all the breaks while there are equally as talented and as dedicated dj's and producers elsewhere in the world who are neglected simply because they happen to live in Spain, Portugal...or even Belgium.

Also being a promoter myself, this problem has been frustrating me for some time now and I've been racking my brain for a solution. If there are dj's here in Belgium who are willing to play for free just for experience, maybe...not maybe, I'm sure... there are other dj's worldwide who are willing to do the same. Which led me to the following idea:

What if there was a kind of dj foreign exchange agency that specialized in helping talented overseas dj's to get gigs in the UK, The States and indeed all over the world. This could be possible via an exchange agreement whereby, for example, a promoter in Sweden agrees to give a spot to a dj from, lets say Greece, at a forth coming event. A Greek promoter would in return give a Swedish dj a spot at one of his forth coming events. In reality, the dj's and promoters wouldn't have to arrange anything. The exchange agency would do it all. There would be no money exchanges because the dj's would have to be willing to play for nothing. In return for v.i.p treatment(ie. free food,drinks and a decent hotel room), as well as the experience of playing in an exotic location whereby, if they do a good job, might get asked to go back and play for the full price. So for them it's a chance to promote themselves; for the promoters it's a chance to get some quality acts free of charge; and for the agency and it's accompanying sponsors, every event using their service, will be an opportunity for free advertising. eg. Posters, flyers e-flyers etc.

Members of the exchange program would not only include dj's but promotors as well. All of whom could pay say a small annual membership fee. Small enough that they wouldn't miss. And it is with this money that the agency could pay for the flight and hotel costs of the dj's. Bang, there you have it.

I wouldn't expect to make any money from this project, and it's not my main motivation anyway, but am nevertheless thrilled at the thought of being able to make what I believe to be a very positive and unique contribution to a movement that has been my passion for at least 10 years now. Admittedly there are still some details I haven't quite figured out yet, which is why I'm writing to Knowledge. I'm looking for people who might be able to contribute to this undertaking in one way or another. I can be contacted at the following e-address:

dnbdjexchange@hotmail.com

Keeping it real,

Alan
    Belgian Massive

PS: A copy of the above letter was also printed in this month's edition of Knowledge Mag UK

2. shdw

shdw trance'n'bass lover

Well but thats problem of all smaller countries.

Here is an explanation...

Try to think off how much DJs wich don't produce you know. When i try i can name just Andy C and Fabio (wich did just a few tracks so i am not counting him as serious one). Well and thats it. Most of the well known DJs are well known producers as well.

Just my opinion

3. Alan Fassioms

Alan Fassioms New Member

Think you're missing the point there a bit. I'm talking about dj's who just want the chance to play at an important event, even to support the big names, just for the chance to show that they can create just as big a vibe on the dance floor as the big names. Whether they come from LA of Kazakstan. When you invest half your hard earned wages in vinyl, it would nice to get the chance (especially when you really can play well) to show them off. And if these guy's are willing to do it for free, then all the better. Then they really do deserve a chance. Anyway thanks for your comment, you really didn't waste any time responding, did ya.

4. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Hi Alan, can you not post anymore duplicate threads in the 'Advertisements' forum. You already have this thread in our most popular forum, it should suffice. Secondly having two different discussions running about the exact same thread is plain silly :teeth:

5. shdw

shdw trance'n'bass lover

Not i don't. I know what u're talking about but i am just explaining reason of why good DJs from small countries don't play at big gigs.

6. Alan Fassioms

Alan Fassioms New Member

It's true what you're saying. But there are also very good producers in those smaller counties who don't get their work exposed simply because they're not given the chance. That's the purpose of starting up the Exchange Program to give also producers worldwide as well as dj's that opportunity.

7. shdw

shdw trance'n'bass lover

Well i can't agree. Because if u re really good than its just matter of time. Of course if u have friends wich are very popular and so on than u have the things easier...

But DJ exchange program is nice idea so keep it runnin.

8. D'Lo

D'Lo Raving Bull Crew

I think it's a really good idea! As I am a dj from a small country ( Belgium), I know it's not easy to get a decent chance to gain some experience. I would love to participate at such a project.

Cherio
    D'Lo

9. Subvertx

Subvertx UnderStand Inc.

This sounds like a truly great plan my friend.

I would be happy in lending a helping hand here in N.Y (USA) to support this idea and program. Whether it be providing a list of djs, and/or passing around promo material for the exchange company etc... feel fre to get at me.

I have an event TENTATIVLY scheduled for JUNE in NYC
    (2 floor, 500max capacity) get me a physical copy of a mix of you and/or whatever other foriegn djs you know who might be interested in this gig.

- Mike

we can speak more on this if you'd like, the idea sounds great but very grandeous, and difficult to build.

SUBVERTeXt on AIM (AOL's Instant Messanger)
    Subvertx@hotmail.com

10. shdw

shdw trance'n'bass lover

Imo this is problem when u re doing serious actions with top DJs (mean DJs from america coming to europe) because the flight fees are very expensive.

11. D'Lo

D'Lo Raving Bull Crew

But when you invite some US dj's back to your country they've got to pay the fee aswell. It's like buying someone a drink and getting one back :beers:

I'm also very intrested in this matter and I'm willing to cooperate. I'm promoting some events near Antwerp, Belgium.

Cherio
    D'Lo
    info@ravingbull.tk

12. Alan Fassioms

Alan Fassioms New Member

Cheerz D'Lo,
    Will keep you posted. Don't forget StarWarz this weekend in Ghent. A-Sides, MC Fats, Dom and Roland...laavly

13. Alan Fassioms

Alan Fassioms New Member

Whassup Mike,Thanks for the encouragement. The stage were at at the moment is that we know were on to somthing good. We all think it's a fuckin wicked idea,and we believe it's do-able. But were still brain-storming on how to approach it. The response I've been getting worldwide since my letter was printed in Knowledgemag has been mind-blowing. Peolpe offering their help from as far as Cape Town, South Africa. At first I thought of a kind of lottery system whereby Dj's worldwide each contribute a small monthly membership fee that goes towards paying for an all-expenses paid trip to play at some exotic location on the other side of the world for a few randomly selected lucky winners. Sounds great in theory. But for something like that you need a well established international company as sponsor and endorser for peolpe to trust us with their money. And rightly too. But because this is intended to be a totally non-profit operation (we're doing it coz it just needs to be done...innit), they're aren't too many big companies out there that want to give us their money to set the whole thing up without getting something in return. Knowwhatimean. Not unless it's for a charitable cause. (eg.'Save the Retired Dj's Funds'...hmmm.)
    One idea that crossed our minds was indeed to organise a charity event whereby giving top foreign dj's the chance to play back to back with top UK names. By means of, for example, 'Top European or US dj's challenge UK's finest to battle it out for the Tsunami victims'. Either way the objective of our idea is to give quality dj's outside the UK the chance to prove their worth on the international scene. And if you can do it for a good cause, all the better.
    All will be clearer once we've got a website, which I'm in the process of negotiating at the moment. So you're right when you say that it sounds very grandeous. It certainly isn't gonna happen overnight. Especially when we've all got bills to pay. But maybe if we all put our heads together we might come up with something fast.
    All the best,
    Alan
    Ps: Can u send me more info about Tentativly. E.g. location, capcity, price, etc.

14. Andydextruss

Andydextruss Something

I think you'll find that Andy C has made rather a lot o tunes actually, I'm shocked you dont know that.

15. shdw

shdw trance'n'bass lover

You name it alot? For that many years of his Dj carier? Check out how much tracks did others like Fabio for that long time. Sry i don't mind that few tracks he did.

And i can name another name wich comes to my mind as DJ wich don't produce >> Storm

16. Subvertx

Subvertx UnderStand Inc.

the info you asked:

the JUNE 3rd event (AKA 'RESTLESS')

@ BAR ELEVEN
    2 floors/rooms - outside smoking allowed
    'FREE' EVENT

www.angelfire.com/ny5/subvertx/RESTLESS.html

as for helping with this project, seems you got quite the process and plan for this program set up in your head allready and really have a true vision, I'd love to see it work man, I'm here to help, keep in touch, and feel free to drop me a line anytime.

like I said if i can get hold of some mixes i'll be more then happy to do some hand outs and giveaways (I can just make copies here to save you guys the extra hassle), or just posting up the bios and info around to gain some publicity etc... I'm sure you got enough ideas floating around lets see what happens.

- Mike
    Subvertext on AIM
    Subvertx@hotmail.com

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  17. DJESCAPE

DJESCAPE Well-Known Member

andy c hasnt produced anything as andy c for years.(cool down/roll on ram recs).instead he makes tracks with ant miles under the name origin unknown and as ram triology with shimon and ant miles.

18. mesh

mesh Active Member

I think shdw has kinda missed the point of this entire thread; wrong about Andy C, and pissing on a good idea for no real reason.
    I like the idea, distance is one of the major factors in Australian / New Zealand DJs being able to reach other countries, and vice versa. Trying to absorb this increased promotion risk with a quid pro quo situation is a worthy ideal.

19. Alan Fassioms

Alan Fassioms New Member

Cheerz mate,
    If you wanna know more about the project, mail me at dnbdjexchange@hotmail.com and I'll keep you posted with any developments.
    Alan

20. Subvertx

Subvertx UnderStand Inc.

those interested in coming to NEW YORK CITY

CONTACT ME.

I WILL PROVIDE APPROPRIATE ACCOMIDATIONS FOR TRANSPORTATION, FOOD, TOUR/MAPS, GIGS, AND PRIVATE SLEEPING QUARTERS.

***I can not put up airfare or travel expenses***

that is my offer to help in this.

sorry its not much, but for those interested, email me.

Subvertx@hotmail.com