DJ Equipment

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by DJR, Aug 21, 2010.

1. DJR

DJR New Member

I have been interested in getting into this recently and I've watched videos on youtube and went on DJ shops online.

What would be decent equipment for a beginner whos had no prior experience?

Also bare in mind I don't want to have to sell my limbs to afford the stuff. Some Cheapish stuff which does the job for someone starting out.

Also what would you suggest. Vinyl or CD Decks?

2. Radius

Radius Give me back my passport u slags

Well a lot of ppeople say digital is the way forward. But you can't afford serato by teh sounds of things so I would suggest you get yourself on ebay. Go the vinyl route..
    http://electronics.shop.ebay.co.uk/Turntables-/48460/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A3444&rt=nc&_nkw=technics+1210&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=16&_sc=1

I have managed to pick up a few pairs of SL1210s in nice condition for around the 3000 quid mark. ( mk2's) . YOu can get a reasonabel brand new mixer for 100 quid. If this is out of your pocket range, I woudl suggest you hold off til it is, cos learning to mix on anything else would be shite.

Thats my 10ps worth ..other people might say look at digital mixing pc interfaces and shit like that ....

3. H*product

H*product Heavyweight product

the behringer bcd3000 is actually not that bad. its cheap as chips too.

4. DJR

DJR New Member

Cheers mate, So what your saying is, I'm more than likely going to need serato if I have CD decks.

A few people have told me about technics 1210s but I dunno why I always just imagined in my head it would be alot easier to use a set of CD decks because I have 0 vinyl.

But now I have an Idea of what to look for now, Thanks

5. Radius

nah...serato is better than cd decks, cos its two timecoded vinyls so you play your tunes as if they were vinyl, on your technics 1210s...in teh meantime, you learn the ropes with vinyl ( and again ebay could be yoru friend here) ...build up a collection.....I mean you could learn on cd decks, but well....hmmm...I wouldn't personally...I mean its not so checp to but 2nd hand cd decks for starter...not half decent ones...technics 1210...industry standard...built like a tank...can't go wrong...you porb need to get in eth turntablism section ...or even just do more research...i suggest you find someone with turnables and pursuade them to let you have a go......now fuck off before I rape your arse noob

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

:teeth:

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

6. DJR

DJR New Member

haha, cheers.

1 more thing, This might be a daft question, What is the difference between mk5s and mk2s

7. Hombre-J

Hombre-J Currently Ballsacked

I'd get a couple of plates, duct tape them to the sides of an old VCR, and spin fresh made pancakes on them.

8. Radius

um the difference between a mk2 and a mk5 is a few design modifications, but mainly teh price...a mk5 is goin for much more (400 per deck)...a mk2 will be older but these things will go for ever unlike a car.
    PS this is what my DJ Equipment looks like, big boy

[​IMG]

9. spiderfran286

spiderfran286 "Yes, squid pro roe..."

10. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

a set of technics and a mixer accompanied by Serato/Traktor is going to cost you an absolute bomb mate, thing your looking at £800-1000 or so. Serato isn't necessary, but it does seem very good. I personally would judge on how likely your going to be able to afford vinyl as it is a very very addicting/money grabbing habit. If you have a good steady income and you can afford to keep buying the tunes you want, go vinyl. If not, get a pair of CDJ's (pioneer are club standard but Numark Axis 9's are a good cheaper alternative). At £1 per tune you can't really go wrong.. Except that fact your not mixing on vinyl!

11. djad

djad leo the lion

Like afew people here (probably) i learned on soundlabs.. Man they were god awful!! But i got technics and havnt looked back. If you get cdj then you need to spend alittle cash to get good ones or your gonna have them for awhile and want better. I buy vinyl cause its the best but i may get one pioneer cdj for the hardrive tunes i have. If you were to get technic mrk2 then they aint that expensive, they never dull and youll never need to upgrade.
    Buy technics and your tunes are more expensive (but youll be shithot cool)
    buy cdj and payout more at the begining but tunes will be cheaper.

12. DJR

DJR New Member

I think i'll end up getting a 2nd hand set of technics then and see how it goes with the vinyl and save up and get serato to play my mp3s on the vinyl because i've played about with my mates decks and i like the feel of the big platter instead of the small cdjs, Even though they are a great bit of kit, they are pretty expensive.

13. emy

emy Member

I need to put my first decks up on ebay, Numark TT1625s alright for beginners they served me well :)

But once you go on Technics you wont want to go back!