DJ equipment for a beginner, what do I get?

JimpaDirt

Vettvilling
VIP Junglist
Ait, so I've been thinking about getting some DJ equipment and start playing around/learn how to work it! And I want to know what's the best buy for a beginner like me? I've atlest decided that I'm not going to use vinyl or CD (hope I didn't break too many peoples hearts now), but use my mac and albetron live.

So for the hardwares: what do I need to be able to start up my DJ "career". The only thing I know is that I've heard that pioneer makes some darn nice mixers, that I've been told.

I want to get good quality items but still be as economic as I can!

Thanks in advance :)

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?64093-Complete-Beginners-Guide-To-Dj-ing

also its an impossible question to answer to be honest, only you can decide.

the best thing for a beginner to start on is vinyl imho, u get a better understanding of how it all works and should go and i think makes for a better skilled dj.
however in todays age/economy its not always possible

you may not even enjoy doing it so you don't want to spend too much money in case its not for you, however you don't wanna buy cheap crap because it will break and will need replacing and end up costing you more. decent equipment does retain its value better tho so bear that in mind.
its been said time and time again but go with what you prefer and what you can afford.

i dunno how anyone can find those midi usb mega mixer things any fun to use...seriously, you'll never regret buying proper decks but a midi console will soon be out grown, imo

true story, iv had a controller,
but i now have cdjs and turntables.

id say turntables are probably the most fun and rewarding, but cdjs are the more practical option in terms of finance etc.

its all personal preference but be very very sure that thats the route you want to go down or itl just cost you more in the long run (iv spent shitloads of stuff i dont own anymore)

Allright! that leaves me some thinking to do then atleast... Like teddy said, I dont want to spend to mutch money on something i dont know I'm gonna keep doing. Who the hell knows, I might get bored of it after a month or two (tho I doubt that).

So I might go with this setup at first and find out if this is something to keep going on with. And then later switch to something more attractive like turntables or whatever. But still... I'ts quite a price to just "find out" if you think it's fun. I'm still quite into producing and that feels like somehting im going to keep doing forever. So I don't think im wasting it all anyways, because I got a strong feeling that i could have tons of fun with a DJ setup!

Back
Top Bottom