DIY acoustic treatment

Has anyone treated their studio with a DIY panel? I'm getting my new place in the new year which includes a large 2nd room all for me and my gear :) I've heard good things about the DIY panels as you can easily tailor them to your room.However Ill but some proper bass traps for the corners.

Any opinions gents?

I'm aware of gearslutz but there's a lot of Jeremy anoraks on there. I was hoping for a slightly more human response from on here.

Cheers for the link!

Ive been planning on doing this myself for too long. These are pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf_7sC9wV8Q. This is a nice little bit of reading aswell http://lenardaudio.com/education/04_acoustics_3.html goes fairly deep but has something for everyone imo. Ive read afew places that putting a room within the room insluated with rockwool is ment to be the dogs bollocks but then it depends how millitant you want to go! Ive got afew more things on my pc somewhere if you want some to see afew more bits and pieces after that.

All you need is something to break up the reflections. Things like egg cartons will work for that. It's more about the placement than the material imo.

The bass trap side of things will depend much more on your room and what's in it, things like a couch across the back wall will help restrict the build up.

If you've got the space to throw mattresses up against the walls it can make a fairly massive difference. Or make a frame out of cardboard and fill it with rock wall sound insulation or summin.

68493_10151267546803232_1114851008_n.jpg

ballin'

Yeah that set up is lovely. Haven't a problem making them so I think I'll go that route. May buy some proper foam panels for tricky spots.

Cheers for all the replies boys!

The only foam I'd use would be the dense biz for the corners of the room. Well I'm in my new place on the 7th (can't come quick enough!!) so ill post a few photos of how it gets on. Only tricky part will be hanging the panels making minimal mess as I'm renting (long term) the property.

I put a lot of DIY treatment in, it is most effective and most economical. Bass traps, side wall absorbers, diffusion (though they came ready made). You can see some on this video, although there are more diffusers in since the video was shot. Once you have done it properly you will never look back simply takes the guess work out of audio work.

SafeandSound Mastering
Audio mastering

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom