Diversity is the key!!

RocksteadyUK

SkimoBeats
VIP Junglist
This was my reply to something in another thread.... this was aimed at Mr Newman as you can see.... anyway.... Joe didnt want to reply in that thread cause it was off subject... rightly so... so anyway.... discuss....

its the fact that jump up heads get aggy about piss poor comments like yours in threads like this

this isnt a "hey riisu how do you think jump up is structured please give us your opinion" thread

Bro... i think you really need to broaden your horizons..

Im not saying that to be patronising or anything like that but i really think you should...

I tuned into Kool last night... and all i got was a onslaught of back to back jump-up.... who ever it was i can only imagin has the same mentality as yourself.... it really bored me.... so i switched over to Force to hear another DJ play Jump-Up but also play some other stuff aswell... i ended up listening to the whole of his set....

anyway... point is.... Jump up is fukin sick.... in moderation... ill be at the front of the que when it comes it saying Jump-Up isnt innovative etc.... which i still believe it isnt and probably never will be..... the fact of it all is that Jump-Up is fukin sick if used in the right way and in the right context....

Back 2 Back jump-up doesnt do jump-up as a sub gen any justice at all..... the reason why i think jumps is sooo sick is because, you can drop a jump up track and the whole place will explode.... but..... if you play it back to back then it loses its effect.... jumps needs to have a few other tracks thrown in between to give it that impact.....

Ill say exactly the same for every other sub gen... back 2 back neuro is boring as fuk.... and this is coming from someone who only ever listens to that stuff when im at home....

Liquid EXACTLY the same... in fact worse.... b2b liquid sends me to sleep.... really cant understand how people can get down to that stuff?? anyway... thats another matter....

Basicly... jump-up to me means something alot more than just Original Sin, Taxman, Hazard etc.... Jump-Up is that response you get when you drop a track and the whole crowd goes crazy and starts bussin out mosh pits and shit.... this doesnt always have to come from tracks that are segregated into a sub genre name.....

I consider some tracks made Black Sun, Noisia, etc etc to be "jump-up".... if that makes sense??....

Anyway... dnb is dnb... thats the way it should be...

b2b of any sub gen is boring as fuk....

anyway... im outta here...

Diversity is the key!

I'v said this before, and still live by these words when it comes to Drum&Bass. [or any music for that matter]

Too much of anything becomes too much.

I like when DJ's surprise you with their selection ;)

Excellent words there rocksteady, im a firm beliver that all music styles should be represented when playing out which is why I go from the muppets to 300bpm gabba with some orchastra numbers thrown in crowd never knew what hit em:rinsed:

on a side note, it was benji k and jd on force last night. and rock, i did the exact same thign!!!!! was listening to kool, got bored, flicked it over to force on the off chance it wasn't some crap acid techno, and it was dnb.....

i listened to that set and i was fucking love it. dropping tunes like hype track with 3rd degree gurns, that new pleasure joint with a marky track i think, that open your eyes remix and everything in between. it was a nice rollin set.

my only gripe is that he didn't read out my txt, but he bigged me up later on though, so it's all good :)

on a side note, it was benji k and jd on force last night. and rock, i did the exact same thign!!!!! was listening to kool, got bored, flicked it over to force on the off chance it wasn't some crap acid techno, and it was dnb.....

i listened to that set and i was fucking love it. dropping tunes like hype track with 3rd degree gurns, that new pleasure joint with a marky track i think, that open your eyes remix and everything in between. it was a nice rollin set.

my only gripe is that he didn't read out my txt, but he bigged me up later on though, so it's all good :)

ahh was it?? jokes.... yeh i went down to Fabric last night to get the flyers off wizz he said JD was on...... was a decent set man.... the one on kool was a load of bullshit.... guy was mixing Jump-Up as if he was mixing liquid..... proper long mixs??? basslines clashing like fuk and no understanding of keys either?? was sooooo bad...

That is a good point diversity is the key and you do need to mix it up to keep people interested. The thing with me is i do only like jump up (im not gonna beat around the bush) but i cant help it. I like hearing it, it sounds good to me and i cant change that. Some liquid roller tunes i like but the vast majority doesn't really make me say "i like that tune" and does tend to bore me alot, and tech stuff really isn't my thing, like hardcore or heavy metal isn't someones else's thing. I hope im making sense. You may call this closed minded and what not but at the end of the day its my taste in music and it affects no one. Also I'm glad I'm not it loads of sub genres as much as i am into jump up because i would be bankrupt by now hahahaha

Back 2 Back jump-up doesnt do jump-up as a sub gen any justice at all..... the reason why i think jumps is sooo sick is because, you can drop a jump up track and the whole place will explode.... but..... if you play it back to back then it loses its effect.... jumps needs to have a few other tracks thrown in between to give it that impact.....

Ill say exactly the same for every other sub gen... back 2 back neuro is boring as fuk.... and this is coming from someone who only ever listens to that stuff when im at home....

Liquid EXACTLY the same... in fact worse.... b2b liquid sends me to sleep.... really cant understand how people can get down to that stuff?? anyway... thats another matter....

That whole post made soo much sense :) Fully agree on all those points you made.

Personally i think that people should do whatever they feel like to be honest, if the want to play all jump up or all liquid then let them. At the end of the day its only going to suppress their progression in the scene but then again who cares if they're having fun. Which is what being a DJ is all about!

I want to get recognised as a respectable DJ in the south, that'd be fine for me (not out to conquor the world). But i know that if you wana go places you really do have to be as diverse as possible and fully adaptable to any type of environment/situation. Thats why i try to be competent at mixing on any type of hardware, not just a stubborn vinyl DJ who thinks everything is crap (that attitude wont get you anywhere imo)..

So lets all be happy and play whatever the fuck we want and how we want :)

this a good thread man, props to all in it

joe man you should come up to manchester for a mashup with me an some mates an i guarentee by the time the mashup has finish you'll be rating some of the darker shit. I'm fuckin in love jump up an always have been its a sick sick sub genre, but when you hear a tune like spartan on a biggg beefy system with fat subs it'll make you get up an rave just as hard as all the sick new hazard an OS stuff

yer i chooned in aswell, jay plays alot of dancefloor and liquidy stuff wheras ben is a true jungle/jump up man but they both play it all of cours (seeming as theyre dnb dj's n not just jump up dj's). i think they worked well together u no lol.

anyhow... i personally think that diversity and throwing in shit u dnt expect and that idea of bringing contrast and switching up the flava and styles of sets is what makes a wikid drum n bass (or any other type of) dj and a wikid set to me. of cours if u only like jump up then u can play woteva u want so be it only the jump up side of things, and some people reli like that... but rock is right to an extent... if u wanna play one sub genre thats fine but dont expect to be embraced as an amazing dnb dj as ur alway gonna be just a jump up dj.

* when i say jump up i am of cours refering to any sub genre, it's just jump up does seem to be the persistant offender

i always thought being a dj was all about educating ur audience aswell as entertaining them. playing all the same style in a set is monotonous and boring which doesnt innovate or psuh the boundaries of music at all. and the main reason i love dnb is that it is sooo innovative and fresh and constantly evolving.

meh just a synical old mans view one things lol

well said... every now and again someone manages to speak clearly and make some sense of the whole ongoing argument.

i started of as just jump up and was more than happy to listen to all jump up, hell i still am some of the time, depends entirely on how long the set is and what mood im in.
but if im dj'n myself now i need to play more liquid-type mellow tunes to mix it up... even though i have no more than 10 in my box hahaha

see if ya a vinyl buyer then yh you do end up spendin all ur money but atleast u know its being used towards the scene u love yh?

in the end it doesnt matter what genre it is, if ur liking it then buy it and im sure it fits in perfectly somewhere in ur set.

I have to agree with joe..i am a pure jump up lover and i cant help that, im not into liquid or tech does do it for me. i listen to jump up for hours on end and dont get bored so i see no reason to broaden my horizons...

i had this discussion with callide at the weekend regarding me being a purely jump lover..im not knocking liquid/tech, for example, because i can appreciate the effort that goes into making these tunes and the innovation thats needed. i appreciate that this style attracts people to loving dnb as a whole..what i think bugs me and joe is that people come on here and say jump up is just wump wump wump or "it's the same ole wob wob, synth syhth, break" or a thoughtless comment that has no constructive criticism. i dont go into a break thread and say break is shit because his music mellow i just ignore the thread as i cannot comment on something i havent taken the time to listen to because i dont enjoy it...the reason we get so pissed off is because its the same boring comments with no constructive thought behind it

why rip into a part of the dnb scene saying its shit?? i dont understand..

I play just about all tech but I think I switch it up pretty well. I play deep melodic stuff with a rough edge, rollers, neuro, harder aggro steppers, glitch and even a bit of breakcore. I would def consider all of this tech but very different sounds. I think within each subgenre this can be done if you search for tracks and do your homework. Don't play 20tracks form the same three producers and your sets will have variety.

Last edited:
I have to agree with joe..i am a pure jump up lover and i cant help that, im not into liquid or tech does do it for me. i listen to jump up for hours on end and dont get bored so i see no reason to broaden my horizons...

i had this discussion with callide at the weekend regarding me being a purely jump lover..im not knocking liquid/tech, for example, because i can appreciate the effort that goes into making these tunes and the innovation thats needed. i appreciate that this style attracts people to loving dnb as a whole..what i think bugs me and joe is that people come on here and say jump up is just wump wump wump or "it's the same ole wob wob, synth syhth, break" or a thoughtless comment that has no constructive criticism. i dont go into a break thread and say break is shit because his music mellow i just ignore the thread as i cannot comment on something i havent taken the time to listen to because i dont enjoy it...the reason we get so pissed off is because its the same boring comments with no constructive thought behind it

i dnt think any1 here is saying jump up is shit.

im pretty sure that me and rocksteady love jump up and think its sick...

just... its that jump up is like chocolate cake... fucking beautifull, but u wudnt eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner. yer it taste good but too much reli spoils u and makes u feel sickly and u forget why u liked it in the first place. it looses its meaning u no. thats my personal take on the whole jump up thing. i can listen to jump up sets and enjoy it but not reli for longer than 20 mins to half hour.

but this is not an i hate jump up thread. it's a "diversity is key" thread explaining how we feel that only playing one style (whether it be liquid, jump up, neuro, tech) gets a little repetative for some of us. i think the reason jump up get pulled into question is because as i said earlier its a persitant offender of dj's playing exclusively one style.

if u have ever had the priedge of catchign danny byrd u will see how sick a dj he is because he not only plays liquid and dancefloory stuff thats hes known for but loves the whomp and the wobble. something i wasn't expecting from him but it made his set that 100% more special and left me thinking how much i enjoyed it.

So do you not appreciate a tune like True Romance being teased into a set? What about "Together"? Can't appreciate these on a night out?

It's all about diversity in a mix. I can obviously only speak for hearing mixes, not mising myself (yet) but it's all about having a bit of everything. I think it shows a bit more of a more mature attitude towards the music.

It's all about diversity in a mix. I can obviously only speak for hearing mixes, not mising myself (yet) but it's all about having a bit of everything. I think it shows a bit more of a more mature attitude towards the music.

this.

Back
Top Bottom