Distortion / Overdrive / Saturation / Processing VSTs

Kylec

Right now I don't really use a lot of VSTs in my productions. I use Massive as a main synth, and that's about it. I thought it would be more beneficial to learn the built in Ableton Live Suite effects (and Massive's built in effects) before I went out and bought a bunch of plugins that I wouldn't know how to use.

Well, I feel like I've outgrown them - especially in the arena of Distortions, Overdrives, Saturators, etc.

So my question to the forum is, what do you use? What are the heavy hitter must-have plugins you all use for mangling your basses/leads/whatever. List a few of your top picks. The only one I've really heard anything about is Ohmicide Distortion, so any comments on that would be great too. I'm looking to purchase maybe 3 VSTs tops, because I like to know my plugins in and out instead of having 9 million that I don't know a thing about.

Thanks for your input!

well, i use Camel audios Camel Crusher. wich is a free version of Camel phat. ive never used it but everyone that has seems to have nothing but good things to say about it. i also use TAL Bitcrusher, and TAL Tube. 2 other free plugins but i think they both are pretty good!! but if your gonna invest from what i understand youd be sorted with just Camel phat, but ive never herd of that Ohmicide Distortion ima check it out right now!

Ohmicide is fuckin incredible. Honestly. 4 bands of distortion all distorting a different frequency range in any way u want them to. So fucking good for those nasty dubstep basslines and anything neuro tends to sound pretty mean when pumped through it!

Most of my tracks have had Ohmicide used on the bassline!

Camel Phat is also really good. I'd also recommend Isotope Trash although I'm not too familiar with it. I warezed it about a year ago to test it. It was pretty good from what I remember but cos it was cracked it failed on me so I deleted it.

Ohmicide is fuckin incredible. Honestly. 4 bands of distortion all distorting a different frequency range in any way u want them to. So fucking good for those nasty dubstep basslines and anything neuro tends to sound pretty mean when pumped through it!

Most of my tracks have had Ohmicide used on the bassline!

Camel Phat is also really good. I'd also recommend Isotope Trash although I'm not too familiar with it. I warezed it about a year ago to test it. It was pretty good from what I remember but cos it was cracked it failed on me so I deleted it.

theres a free version of camel phat out there aswell. it monoes stuff ran through it unfortunately. sounds pretty nasty on drums and subs tho! defo worth a check out.

apart from that i use a free tube amp (its called only tube amp aswell^^), voxengo boogex, blood overdrive (fl build in distortion unit), tridirt (also free and 3 eq bands to distort) and various other bitcrush and distortion units.

The Buzz Effect Adapter in fruityloops has nice ones, I use WhiteNoise Stereo Dist DLL, perfect for hardstyle kickdrums

Ferric TDS, subtle saturation
JB Ferox, tape saturation
Nasty VCS, includes eq, comp and limiter, but also has saturation.

All free, all usable.

Back
Top Bottom