Distortion in a mix

ZackMRG

Circles are Pointless
VIP Junglist
The title probably makes the situation sound more retarded than it is, I've recorded enough mixes in the past but these were all on my old mixer- but now that I own a Xone 92 Im having some serious issues- mainly how ridiculously impossible it seems to be to record a mix that isn't distorted to fuck with bass.

Admittedly Im recording through a three year old notebook which is slow as fuck and in dire need of an upgrade- but recording all my old mixes I never seemed to have a problem with it, I've tried quite a few things now, adjusting the input volume, turning the gains down to 75%/ 60% (and still keeping the volume levels around half way if not lower), constantly keeping on eye on my LED's which always seem to be green and yet everything I record the wave format is permanently on overkill.

Any ideas what could help me out here?

could be your software input is too high. doesn't sound like you have a problem with your set up
http://cdn.portableapps.com/AudacityPortable.png
see the pic of the microphone.. turn that down. i think your input signal is too hot for it. sorry if thats teaching your grandmother to suck eggs.
if your recording with rca's coming out of the record section of your mixer, adjusting the master volume will not change the record output in most mixers

could be your software input is too high. doesn't sound like you have a problem with your set up
http://cdn.portableapps.com/AudacityPortable.png
see the pic of the microphone.. turn that down. i think your input signal is too hot for it. sorry if thats teaching your grandmother to suck eggs.
if your recording with rca's coming out of the record section of your mixer, adjusting the master volume will not change the record output in most mixers

Nice Duran Duran reference there m8. If your mixer ain't redlining Zac it's difficult to see how it could be anything other than the Audacity thing. IMO.

^ yeah that, i switch the cables and record from master out, and have my speakers plugged into the record out

This is what I ended up doing, just to limit the amount of sounding going through to my shitty laptop, which still decided to throw in some background noise over the quiet parts after I stopped it from distorting everything, but between the two id definitely take the background noise, you can hardly hear it when it gets into the mix.

You using vinyl, cdj's or dvs?

What software you using to record?

And Im using vinyl, technics, ortofon pro s, so everything is pretty up to scratch- except the laptop and Audacity which I still use unwillingly, but that again is down to my laptop and the fact its pretty prone to freeze on me.

TL: DR: My laptop is shit.

The record out on Xones is -10db to stop this exact thing happening. Deffo input volume in your recording software as per Teddy

If you're having problems with background noise, turn the mic input volume on your laptop down as far as you can and turn up the master output volume on your mixer

If you're having problems with background noise, turn the mic input volume on your laptop down as far as you can and turn up the master output volume on your mixer

you might get some noise/a hum or something if the power supply to your laptop is plugged in whilst you record aswell

That video is so dumb. I can kinda see the benefit if you know what you are doing but average DJs who watch that video will just stop caring about getting their levels right and use that method.

I also love how many times he says 'professional' whilst using Audacity LOL

Back
Top Bottom