Multi Genre disco n bass - track good enough?

track good enough for a release?

• Total voters
The production is pretty good- enough to get signed on a small label- but remember anyone can set up a 'label' these days.

I like the chords and there's a good mix of contrasting sections in here, but I think the transitions between the different sections are a bit dull, needs at least a little degree of build and drop.

There are lots of good melodies in here but because of the way it's structured none of them really stand out as a central hook of riff, which you really need for a track to be memorable.
Overall it's a really good track apart from the structuring, which is by far the weakest point.
Listen to some of your favorite tracks and see how many melodies they have, and how the different sections repeat/contrast

thanks for your feedback, interesting you mention the build-up and scene transition .. I actually wanted to do that differently to avoid sounding dull (with movement we have heard in tracks already a million times). I listened to your music on soundcloud and I see you what you mean now .. please take into consideration you and I make music in totally different genres, so arrangement and melody set-up can vary. there is no ultimate right in music .. your mixing and mastering is very good though. what plugins / tools are you using?

It is true that the traditional big build is a massive cliche- but there are other ways to have a little bit of tension building without it being too predictable. I like to hang onto one chord for few bars to build tension, usually chord V because the perfect cadence resolves back to the root pretty well. Also, short loops with lots of repetition build tension as well.

I don't have any special mastering plugins, in fact you probably have better ones than me. I use the REAPER stock compressors and eqs which are ugly and not particularly nice to use but have a decent selection of settings, plus a free limiter that came with a copy of computer music magazine (Barricade CM). There's nothing special about plugins (especially true for mixing and mastering, but in sound design less so), it's just knowing how to use them.

My mixing/mastering isn't really that good because it doesn't transfer well to other systems, but if you happen to be listening to music on medium-quality headphones then it usually sounds ok because that's what I use.

thanks for your additional feedback, smoothassilk. I never heard of REAPER, will check it out. your tracks sound at least good in my systems ;)

I have to agree with the above statement that the track needs better transitions. It can be one of the most difficult things to do but it is worth the effort. Also, under lying fx noises can help propel a transition, different drum patters on the last two to four bars or even changing drums patterns every bar slight can help. Repetition in notation, evolving sounds with high pass and phaser, more emphasis on the mid basses, the possibilities are endless but can really make of break a track.

thanks IV4, appreciate your comments !!
I will look into the transitions in this track. as I said above, I tried different built ups & break downs to avoid sounding the same as millions of dnb tracks.
one point of yours I disagree: drum patterns. in this song, drums actually change every 1-2 pattern and are never the same. there at at 16 different drum pattern sets in this song, I think by far more than in most dnb songs in this genre (melodic dnb).
adding some evolving sounds might be a good idea .. do you think the song wouldn't get too loaded then (it has already much song content).

thanks IV4, appreciate your comments !!
I will look into the transitions in this track. as I said above, I tried different built ups & break downs to avoid sounding the same as millions of dnb tracks.
one point of yours I disagree: drum patterns. in this song, drums actually change every 1-2 pattern and are never the same. there at at 16 different drum pattern sets in this song, I think by far more than in most dnb songs in this genre (melodic dnb).
adding some evolving sounds might be a good idea .. do you think the song wouldn't get too loaded then (it has already much song content).
I think you missed my point about the drums. You do have multiple drum patterns but they are not as well placed as you may think. Sometimes less is more. A concept I struggle with. Here is an example of song that should showcase what I meant about your drums and arrangement. This example is an extreme of great drum work but I believe it should demonstrate what you could do with your drums in this track. I don't think you need to go to as far as this artist did, but a little bit of incorporation of these ideas could go along way in your track and help with the transitions.

Also, please believe me. When I write a review of a song I usually only post what is wrong with it to help other improve their track. At least on this forum, on Soundcloud I will only write positive responses. Anyway, pointing out flaws is how I personally improve, and I post my music here for constructive critique. Believe me, people honestly telling me what is good or bad has been the greatest gift for me, and I hope to give back.
Your track is good, you can make it better, and I hope to help in small way. I am not an expert, but I am one of a few people in this world that did actively/objectify listen to your track. Any question please pm me.

thank you IV4, your feedback is much clearer now to me. I will look in to drums and arrangement of this song.
you are right .. positive feedback doesn't help anyone, i agree. let's connect on soundcloud as well .. cheers from tokyo !

Back
Top Bottom