Dirty, Gritty bass in Massive

Welsh Junglist

AKA Faqade
VIP Junglist
I've had massive for a couple of months now and it is a proper good piece of software and I can get sub basses to sound really nice but I want to make kind of Ed Rush & Optical sounding basses, like deep and dirty. Each time I try and do it, they come out sounding 'metallic' and a bit tinny :confused: Has anyone got any good tutorials or anything about this sort of sound? I've looked at the sub focus tutorial aswell and it's good but not the sound I'm aiming for. I'm using reason 4 so if anyone has got any ideas how to make this in reason it will be very much appreciated!!

This is sort of what I'm aiming for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXF8CYDps9U&feature=related

Thanks everyone.

have u seen the tutorial where subfocus talks about makin an "oldschool" reese in massive? its not the same sound but maybe it'll help u to achieve it/good startin point at least?

yeah, those r the youtube ones which are better since he explains more imo. but the one im talkin about is also from a cm issue but he talks about making an old school reese and an electro stab. i can share it if anyone wants.

Spread the wisdom please :not_worth

Thing is tho, these people don't just use a soft synth to make that sound and be done with it...

You wont achive the sound you want in massive alone... it's a lot about what processing you do with the sound once its made...

Distortion, filters, EQ'ing, Chorus etc etc...

There is no real one size fits all answer. My best advise would be to make something your happy with in massive... it doesnt have to sound like the final thing, but just something a bit dirty and growly... and then process the fuck out of it.. just keep playing around with different plug in's until you get what you want.

It's not easy and it may take some time, but it will be worth it in the end.

Thing is tho, these people don't just use a soft synth to make that sound and be done with it...

You wont achive the sound you want in massive alone... it's a lot about what processing you do with the sound once its made...

Distortion, filters, EQ'ing, Chorus etc etc...

There is no real one size fits all answer. My best advise would be to make something your happy with in massive... it doesnt have to sound like the final thing, but just something a bit dirty and growly... and then process the fuck out of it.. just keep playing around with different plug in's until you get what you want.

It's not easy and it may take some time, but it will be worth it in the end.

:word:

Bang on mate. Welsh, you'll get all the dirt and grit out of the effects rather than the synth itself, whack on a load of distortion, chorus, split into 2 channels and eq/filter the highs/lows... Basically just start with a simplish grimey bass sound and effect it, you'll get all the dirt out of a decent filter.

Also look into layering your bass to get a couple of dirtyish sounds w/effects and then send them through the same signal chain (a send in FL Studio, not sure how to do it in reason), and automate the filter to get some dirt...

I have a video that explains some of this bear with me :)

Back
Top Bottom