Diminished Responsibility - Rolling atmospheric Drum and Bass

ye feeling that piano man. not so keen on some of the shaker stuff, a bit static/disjointed maybe? nice panning effect in the break. really like all the pads around the 130 mark, always poor at them myself. theres a conga/woodblock(?) that sounds quite loud in the mix too. maybe this track could benefit for some more layers lower down to work with the sub? nice one

Cheers mate, I've uploaded a new version. changed the shakers a small amount and lowered the volume of the rimshot..

Any other comments guys?.........pleeeeeeaase!!!

First, it sounds pretty nice over-all.
A few thoughts.
I was trying to imagine this a few bpm slower. You described it as rolling atmospheric, yet it sounded very hurried. (Possibly the shakers, or the extra kick, or the very short release, dry, piano sound contributed to this)
The percussion is nice.
I felt the piano sounded a little artificial. Some more reverb might help (?) I reckon that piano benefits especially from switching off the quantising and dragging a few notes off the beat. A touch of groove would be what I was aiming for. (Even within chords, have each finger(note) hit at slightly different times. I'm talking small amounts, humanisation.

Bear in mind that's just my personal thought. Like I said, it sounds pretty nice anyway.

Never really played around with humanisation, too scared to throw everything out of balance lol! May give it a try though! Believe it or not the piano already has reverb on it, but I think I may have put the reverb on before a compressor, so I guess I've compressed the reverb.....D'oh! I shall go back and put the reverb on after the compressor!

Damn it's quiet around here.......either that or you're all too scared to tell me how crap this track is lol! And I dont believe it's that.....some of you wouldnt hesitate to tell me it's shit lol!

I really like it, but I do agree that it would sound even better a few bpm lower.. piano sounds cool, bass sounds nice and warm.. nice one!

Ok guys, after taking in the feedback Ive lowered the bpm's from 176 to a nice round 170!

Also followed Subprimes advice and humanised the piano a little.

Please take a moment to comment on the new version, link in OP

The bpm is sounding better.
What piano patch are you using? That's the only thing that is nagging me. It's a little un-natural. (That's all taste by the way) But hey, apart from that there's lots of goodness in there.
nice one.

I personally find the piano melody very dry and uninteresting.. but the beats make up for it..
nice fx and reverb
bass is ok, needs more 'riddim'!
bpm still seems too fast to me.

Think Bukem 'music' for a real rollin bass...

Enjoyed listening to it tho..
:wave:

Nice and rolling, loving this style of dnb, maybe lacked some variation but overall a nice sound. See you think of some of my - comments on soundcloud.

Emmeeji ()Steve

Its alright man

Bass seems an octave too high tho, i would try dropping it an oct, would sound a lot more subby

Prob needs a little more going on in there, maybe musical wise jus to give it some more elements

Drums are ok

Piano is nice

Not bad bro, not got much to critic on really apart from its quite quiet could do with being a bit louder imo

good effort

thanks gys. I've been trying to change the piano sound on this a little but I think I keep messing it up!

@Zeal : I mixed down to -6db, with the master channel sitting on 0db. Not sure if thats why it's quiet? Sounded an ok volume in my headphones and on my system tho???

i tend to agree zeal on the bass, could be a lot more subby, and i dont really like the sound of the piano aswell. try to lower the attack and put more release on it, maybe layer it up with the same piano lowered an octave. needs more substance imo.

good work apart from that.

I think piano sound is unnatural, thin and a bit 'clinical', the actual playing is unemotional and sounds like someone that can't play the piano. bass sound is fine but doesn't roll at all for me just 'there'. I like the pads to give the atmosphere, like the perscussion and hi-hat n cymbal work. actual bass/snare drum programming is ok but not enough variety doesn't roll for me.

Having said all of that i would be very happy with myself if i could get to that.

Back
Top Bottom