Dimension Expander and FX module plug ins

yobi

Does anybody know of a Dimension Expander plugin similar to the one in the FX part of Massive?

Also I am trying to find another thing like Glitch, I want to mangle my audio files. Any help will be much appreciated? :thumbsup:

The dimension expander sounds like a reverb effect with stereo widening. You could achieve the same effect with any reverb plugin combined with any stereo imaging plugin, with the correct routing. A super wide stereo reverb effect is what you want to create.

There could be more clever stuff going on in massive, it's hard to know for sure.

The Dimension Expander is not a reverb. It's Mike Daliot's software replica of the Roland Dimension D; a fairly unique sounding chorus/spatial expander from the late '80s. It's essentially a four voice chorus with extended delay times and with two of the voices being out of phase with the other two.

The Dimension Expander is not a reverb. It's Mike Daliot's software replica of the Roland Dimension D; a fairly unique sounding chorus/spatial expander from the late '80s. It's essentially a four voice chorus with extended delay times and with two of the voices being out of phase with the other two.

Schooled

BIG up man!! I've actually wondered about the structural makeup of the Dimensional Expander.

Hahaa no I just wondered this myself when I first got Massive, since I wanted to apply this effect to sounds outside of Massive. After a little research I found out about the Roland Dimension D and started looking for software emulations of that effect.

as Parsons19 said it's worth checking out Xfer Records Dimension Expander. It's free and sounds fairly good and is available as VST/AU. I don't suggest using it on mono material however as it has a bug that results in nasty feed back if you do (in my uses at least).

As far as mangling plugin's I would reccommend you do a search for Bram's SupaTrigga and Destroy FX Buffer Override, they are free and I find them good for mangling things.

As far as pay products though I would recommend looking into the Sugar Bytes plugins: Effectrix, Artillery and Turnado

Oh man, I should have copy pasted a quote from elsewhere like you did !

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4843388

Didn't I just explain that the dimension expander is not a reverb? It's a replica of the Dimension D by Roland which was some sort of a chorus.

You did but that doesn't mean that the reverb unit way can't be explained. Even though its not dead on its very similar sound and can be done with a plugin he already has. =)

Didn't I just explain that the dimension expander is not a reverb? It's a replica of the Dimension D by Roland which was some sort of a chorus.

He's not asking what it is, he's asking how to recreate the effect, which can be done a number of different ways.

You did but that doesn't mean that the reverb unit way can't be explained. Even though its not dead on its very similar sound and can be done with a plugin he already has. =)
He's not asking what it is, he's asking how to recreate the effect, which can be done a number of different ways.

True, but still the difference between both techniques is pretty big.. I mean using the reverb should bring you somewhat close but it still sounds very different than the technique using a 4 voice chorus. Also the reverb technique muddies up your sound a lot faster than the chorus so you should be really careful not to lose the punch of your sounds.

True, but still the difference between both techniques is pretty big.. I mean using the reverb should bring you somewhat close but it still sounds very different than the technique using a 4 voice chorus. Also the reverb technique muddies up your sound a lot faster than the chorus so you should be really careful not to lose the punch of your sounds.

A very good point but if you say put the reverb on a send channel and eq it separate from your bass it's very simple to remedy that lil issue. I messed about trying to do it with chorus and managed to get close but it took much more time and the results weren't as clear IMO... then again maybe I just need to practice with the chorus a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom