digital purchases

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Anth, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Anth

Anth Active Member

I was curious if there are many people on here who buy a lot of digital tracks and what their preferred store is.

Since i have an iPod and mac I've been buying from the iTunes store, i like the fact that purchases go straight to all my devices and are backed up to my iTunes account, I've spent so much in iTunes this year with catching up on older dnb tunes and so many good releases coming out that I'm wondering if its the best option,

also it seems to take a while for releases to show up on the iTunes store,
    for example thing on 31 records and new sam kdc on samurai can be bought from surus but not iTunes yet and it gets annoying
    i also worry about 256 vs wav or flac because i use decent headphones and may one day get a decent amp and speakers

2. evermind

evermind Broken Symmetry

I use itunes quite a lot but I prefer buying stuff from each label's own webstore. In general it's cheaper on the label's websites, at least I think it should be... Ram are charging 1.49p per mp3 so I never buy on there. Viper also charge a bit more. Last single is 1.50£ on their store and 1.29£*on itunes, god knows why. I think they make more money if people buy it from their store no? So why would they charge more if it keeps people from buying from them. It's more of an effort than itunes and it's more expensive lol! Hospital for example charge 79p per track so I'm happy to make the extra effort to go through their webstore. Itunes has a lot for 79p or 99p which is quite cool, but yes the more underground/old stuff is less likely to be on there. And the 256/320/wav war doesn't bother me...
    And I usually stay away from Beatport - expensive, digital-tunes makes you pay an extra fee unless you pay in euros and I find that d&b arena or trackitdown's website/store are rubbish in general.

Anth likes this.
  3. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Itunes and Surus for me.

Itunes due to my iPod and library but if a label has its Surus store, then I would buy it from there, since they get more money in the label and artist's wallet.

Anth likes this.
  4. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

I was under the impression that iTunes don't sell 320s...or am I wrong?

5. Anth

Anth Active Member

they sell 256 in aac format which is meant to be the equivalent of a 320 mp3.

i wish it was easier to find new releases on iTunes, my method is to have redeye records latest releases bookmarked then type in the artists name in iTunes search then click sort by latest releases

6. Large Marge

Large Marge garbage truck

find myself pretty much only using junodownload these days. go on the drum'n'bass section, and I can't remember the last time a dnb track came out and juno didn't have it on the day of release (except for some lowdowndeep stuff which comes out on their own site first)

you can also check the coming soon section and preview the next month ahead's releases which is pretty useful http://www.junodownload.com/coming_soon/drumandbass/

Anth likes this.
  7. Fallen.GeMiNi

Fallen.GeMiNi 3rd rate banger merchant

I buy basically only wavs now, so my first stop is usually digital-tunes, where you can get them for a fair price (in other words all the other shops charge extra which is bullshit if you ask me). There's usually most of the fresh releases there, only a very few labels don't sell there (RAM, Viper, Hospital), so I go for their own shops in that case. If it's something from like a remix for a well-known commercial artist and it's not on any of those stores, I head for iTunes (or wait 'till Beatport has some reasonable discount going on) and get it there. I tend to stay away from Surus as much as possible for 2 or more years already as I don't like the site, I had some problems buying from there before, it's generally a bit more expensive than I'd like it to be and they don't sell wavs at all.
    Beatport is a ridiculously over-priced shithole (but works probably the best as a site and in terms of service and catalogue), Trackitdown is basically the same story (only less tunes there and not so smooth site and service), iTunes is a great place to get a music for listening for a fair price (but it can be hard to find something there), Juno is okay (but over-priced for wavs), label stores are usually fine (but expensive in case of databeats, Hospital is probably the best label store out there in every possible aspect), digital-tunes are really nice after introducing the new design and sells a lot of music for a fair price.

Anth likes this.
  8. Afek_One

Afek_One Well-Known Member

Label store
    Surus
    Digital Tunes

In that order.

Anth likes this.
  9. OneSeventy

OneSeventy Mohican Sun

I'll buy from Surus if the release is on there, but otherwise Juno. Juno has the best functioning site outside of the too expensive Beatport, and is still one of the cheaper ones. DnBA is cheaper but not cheap enough to be worth trying to use their fucking terrible site. I wonder if they realise how much more money they would make if they made their site functional! Surus' site is pretty shit too actually but mostly just because it is slow as all fuck. TrackItDown too expensive (and I think they got bought by Beatport). Have been trialling Digital Tunes lately and it seems pretty good, but they don't always have every release like Juno does.

I find label stores aren't usually cheaper any more so I don't bother. Even Hospital which used to be cheaper wasn't cheaper than Juno for my last purchase.

10. Binary_UK

Binary_UK Binary.

Label sites / Surus

If not, Digital Tunes, it's cheap

11. Stubsnz

Stubsnz Boshing Out on the tables

I thought it was just me, I'm curious to know if the site is slow as fuck for UK users?

Juno is my top pick when it comes to range/availability/price

12. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

It's a shame Surus don't sell deephouse. Think I will stick with Beatport.

13. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

My housemates set up this site, unfinished at the mo where you can compare prices if tunes http://tunezonemusic.com

bn14, Afek_One and wingz like this.
  14. iamdjsimm

iamdjsimm Well-Known Member

15. fractal

fractal Well-Known Member

yeah boomkat for mp3s...big albums/compilations are always cheap, 4 track eps are like 2.95 etc

16. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

AAAAH!! I was planning to do that!!

17. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

what amazes me is even the most expensive download is 1.50...... opposed to 8.99 vinyl and your actually worring about saving a few pence.

Anyway, for me i use beatport mostly because i find it the easiest to find what i need...... also worth a mention is www.storejam.co.uk ...... for liquid beats, very good download store. and its artists get 75% of the sales, so you know theyre not just trying to make a pound note.

18. Large Marge

Large Marge garbage truck

true, but when there's say 10 new mp3s you want (last week I purchased 12 new tunes off juno, a standard week will be a bit less) and they're £1.50 a pop compared to £1.16 per tune on juno (less if you buy a full release)...tot that up, you're saving about a fiver each time... repeat that process over a year and it just adds up.

evermind likes this.
  19. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

I tend to try and buy it directly from the label because it's usually the cheapest and the money doesnt get split by distributors. If the store doesnt have the tracks or is too expensive or doesnt exist i usually go to surus because its the cheapest. If surus doesnt have it then i go to itunes because its usually pretty cheap, and also because the previews are good quality and it conveniently downloads straight into the library with all IDv3. I only ever use beatport if that have a discount coupon.

20. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

Im not very surprised no-one's mentioned emusic. Its one of those strange little sites with a terrible user interface.
    It is however only 42p per tune for 256vbr mp3's.
    Honestly, there is no audible difference between 256vbr and 320's, even on a big rig. But this is not the place to discuss bitrates.

It's not a good deal for albums, but 84p per EP is pretty good!

If you plan to use it, try searching by label, I have the most success that way.

It doesnt have everything, which can be frustrating, but I manage to get most of my music through there and maybe spend £10 once in a while on Juno for the stuff I cant get anywhere else as easily.