Digital Copies Of Vinyl You Have Bought ...

Oria

.... so for my convenience i have ripped vinyls that i own into my pc and compressed to 320 mp3, rather than spend another few quid buying official digital copies. Is this illegal pirating ? If i take these mp3s onto a CD and play them on a CDJ, is this illegal regarding pirating ?

.... so for my convenience i have ripped vinyls that i own into my pc and compressed to 320 mp3, rather than spend another few quid buying official digital copies. Is this illegal pirating ? If i take these mp3s onto a CD and play them on a CDJ, is this illegal regarding pirating ?

I can´t see anything wrong there.

There is nothing wrong with creating a backup of any copyrighted material that you have purchased legally.

ok, so move that on one step. I bought the vinyl, but instead of ripping it rec'd a copy of an MP3 from a friend (which didn't crackle n pop!!) who had bought it, or from a website that was sharing it? then what ?

ok, so move that on one step. I bought the vinyl, but instead of ripping it rec'd a copy of an MP3 from a friend (which didn't crackle n pop!!) who had bought it, or from a website that was sharing it? then what ?

technically that's breaching copyright, but it's the same way that in the 80s people said recording songs from the radio would kill the music industry.

just use your own judgement

TBH if any label had a problem with someone who actually bought their release on vinyl and then copied it whatever for themselves to play out then they should fuck right off. If you really want an mp3 take a picture of yourself with one of our vinyls & sales receipt and i'll send you the mp3's :D lol

I was actually thinking of ripping my whole vinyl collection to mp3 (about 300), I'm gonna use an ikey plus to do this, if I record it in 320 mb will it sound as good as a legit mp3 from a download store?

I was actually thinking of ripping my whole vinyl collection to mp3 (about 300), I'm gonna use an ikey plus to do this, if I record it in 320 mb will it sound as good as a legit mp3 from a download store?

not quite, but hardly noticeably, because you'll lose slight quality in every part of the process.

Through the needles, then the rca cables, then the mixer, then the output cables, then the ikey, then the computer's sample rate.

There will be some quality loss compared to a straight digital bounce, but you could always just test it, buy one mp3 of a tune you have, rip your vinyl and listen if you actually can tell the difference

Back
Top Bottom