did you PAY for ableton/logic/whatever?

middleWave

i need to invest in a DAW. intro version of ableton is easy enough to stomach at $99. however i could just pirate the entire suite version for free. but i like the idea of paying and supporting a good company (though i certainly can't afford the suite)...

- did you pay for your software? if not, do you sell your music?

i'm curious to know...

I paid for Ableton soon after i made my first dollar from music. And i now wouldn't have cracked software of any kind in my PC for privacy/security reasons.

I think lite is fine for Ableton if your a sample based producer and enjoy using some of the many free VST out there, i have suit and tbh i still use my choice VST coupled with the sampler/simpler.

I think lite is fine for Ableton if your a sample based producer and enjoy using some of the many free VST out there, i have suit and tbh i still use my choice VST coupled with the sampler/simpler.

can you elaborate on this? i am indeed a sample based producer, but i will be using ableton (and NI/maschine which i already own) for most of my drums and bass. pads, synths, samples, etc coming from vinyl, tweaked and filtered through my ancient keyboard sampler. what advantage does standard give over lite? suit is out of the question...

Im looking now and i see you dont actually get the Sampler feature unless you go suite. I think the Simpler is good but Sampler is a lot deeper.

Heres a run down of the differences.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/

If your using an analog sampler you may find that recording straight into Ableton and using the tools you would have in Lite ie pitch envelopes and Warp modes are suffice, the DAW is very good at giving you a good digital sound from analog sources. I love the messing with Warp Modes in particular! So if your short on cash Lite might be ok for you and upgrade in time.

Heres a quick demo on using the warp modes on sound....

i've just started learning how to produce and didn't pay for FL Studio, but yeah if I ever start making money I will buy it, I think thats fair

i've just started learning how to produce and didn't pay for FL Studio, but yeah if I ever start making money I will buy it, I think thats fair

Well i cant preach on your choice there but i think its more about how serious you take it. I should have bought sooner but i didn't realise till about that time how serious i was about making music.

Well i cant preach on your choice there but i think its more about how serious you take it. I should have bought sooner but i didn't realise till about that time how serious i was about making music.

Spose, but yeah I've only been mucking about so far and am yet to even make a full tune

Im looking now and i see you dont actually get the Sampler feature unless you go suite. I think the Simpler is good but Sampler is a lot deeper.

If your using an analog sampler you may find that recording straight into Ableton and using the tools you would have in Lite ie pitch envelopes and Warp modes are suffice, the DAW is very good at giving you a good digital sound from analog sources. I love the messing with Warp Modes in particular! So if your short on cash Lite might be ok for you and upgrade in time.

Heres a quick demo on using the warp modes on sound....

thx for the info. i'm guessing that i don't really need the extra features of Sampler, but then again i'm not entirely clear what they are exactly. and BTW, your signature is way too big. i mean...i clicked on it and followed you, but really tho, haha.

Heres a Reddit discussion on Simpler vs Sampler...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/38j2go/beginner_question_simpler_vs_sampler/

Ah yeah, im just discovering the joys of not everyone on the internet actually using a PC these days lol.

Its getting updated for our next release this week so ill tone it down, cheers.

simpler seems fine for my needs probably. however i just noticed that the lite version only includes 8 scenes. i'm worried that wouldn't be enough.

when i used ableton a year ago with a friend, i made a track in a few hours, but it has about 15 scenes! i mapped out the entire song sequentially with scenes, then recorded to the sequencer, playing scenes top to bottom. is this the normal way of arrangement, or is there another way where 8 scenes would not hinder me? $450 is a lot of money...

I use about 35 scenes so if your upping your game id say it would be a hindrance, you could work around a little by simply turning off effects in that scene on certain parts of the song because really all you need in any song is 4 elements ie Drum, Pad, FX and Bass. Thats not ideal trying to push them all in one scene though even if you were splitting your 8 scenes into low and mid. You could pay it up on finance i suppose, also V10 will be out soon so id imagine V9 will drop in price.

I think Standard version is required here. If you know anyone who is in college/uni you could see if they can help with a discount aswell.

I learned the basics on a cracked Live 9 - never felt great about it due to security reasons/lack of version updates.

Got Lite free with a midi controller, then when they had a sale earlier in the year I forked out for the full suite - it's decent having access to the full Ableton website and updates. I'm years away from making any cash off it but I definitely prefer having the legit version.

I learned the basics on a cracked Live 9 - never felt great about it due to security reasons/lack of version updates.

Got Lite free with a midi controller, then when they had a sale earlier in the year I forked out for the full suite - it's decent having access to the full Ableton website and updates. I'm years away from making any cash off it but I definitely prefer having the legit version.

Defo, theres so many advantages to having a proper version of Ableton. And im sure even the standard version has a few sweeteners on the website.

@Fluff

Pinocchio-2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom