DnB Detached - Back Then (WIP) Liquid project, feedback appreciated

JamesDetached

Hi guys,

I've recently been working on a Liquid project for the last few days.

I know the vibe I'm going for but my skills are not quite up to par to recreate the sound in my head (I'm working on it though haha)

I thought I'd see if I could get any general feedback on this so far as I've literally worn my ears out over the last few hours from working on it (Bloody HS8's)

I know the volume might be slightly low, I have a habit of mixing at a high leves then jacking everything up so you might have to turn it up a little bit apologies for that.

Any feedback on the mixdown so far or if any elements seem off / if the second half switch up sounds a bit weird (It's starting to sound a little off to me but I might just be braindead) and just general criticism is very much appreciated!

Last edited:
hey nice tune for starters. i think you catching very well the atmosphere you wanna create. i esp. like the drums, clear and shiny, nice! the overall sound is a bit too muddy for my ears, maybe some maximiser and transient shapers on the master would help?

Nice, I see you also own HS8's. Great monitors, huh? I've put your tune to the ultimate test already, laptop speakers :p Will listen tomorrow on studio monitors tho to judge your sub and the overall elements better!

What I like:
- Chill, minimal vibe. Vocal adds a nice element!
- The piano riff as the variation around the end. (Maybe put a ping pong delay on it as an effect?)

What can you do better imo:
- the snare its peak, is very high (on my laptop speakers). It punches through nicely, but maybe EQ its peak a bit down. (It was probably just my laptop speakers, not really have that problem on my main soundsystem)
- add in some extra perc to keep it interesting through the track, or fade some existing ones away
- Upd: Well, just listened and can hear the sub clearly so that's nice. Do you have it in key though?

Last edited:
Great vibes!

Nice vocal work. And I like the part where the saxophone sound starts. So smooth

The sub or bass in the second part sounds a bit off.

Drums sounds nice and clean. Some variations would be nice though.

But overall a pretty nice, relaxing track!

Keep it going!

Only listening on my phone so can't comment on the sub, but I love the feel of this. The slightly sloppy percussion works really well. The sax and piano stab at around 152 seem a bit off but that's easily fixed

hey nice tune for starters. i think you catching very well the atmosphere you wanna create. i esp. like the drums, clear and shiny, nice! the overall sound is a bit too muddy for my ears, maybe some maximiser and transient shapers on the master would help?

Thanks dude, I had a listen on a few other systems and I can hear a slight bit of muffledness too overall, I've been working the last few days to bring some of the elements out and to eq them cleaner so they really have their own place. I'll look into a maximiser and transient shaper!

Nice, I see you also own HS8's. Great monitors, huh? I've put your tune to the ultimate test already, laptop speakers :p Will listen tomorrow on studio monitors tho to judge your sub and the overall elements better!

What I like:
- Chill, minimal vibe. Vocal adds a nice element!
- The piano riff as the variation around the end. (Maybe put a ping pong delay on it as an effect?)

What can you do better imo:
- the snare its peak, is very high (on my laptop speakers). It punches through nicely, but maybe EQ its peak a bit down. (It was probably just my laptop speakers, not really have that problem on my main soundsystem)
- add in some extra perc to keep it interesting through the track, or fade some existing ones away
- Upd: Well, just listened and can hear the sub clearly so that's nice. Do you have it in key though?

My HS8's are my babies man, beautiful monitors overall but they do really wear my ears out when I'm putting them through a thrashing haha. I listened to it on my phone and laptop speakers and heard that snare standing out. I've eq'd it a bit cleaner now and brought the overall volume down, thanks for the heads up! I'm working on doing some edits for the drums to place around where the transitions start. The sub I have no idea if it's in key (Limited production skills are not the word) I completely go by vibe and it sounded ok at the time but I can hear it sounds little flat and out of tune in places. Going to go back to the drawing board with the sub! thanks for taking the time out to listen and for the good feedback.

Great vibes!

Nice vocal work. And I like the part where the saxophone sound starts. So smooth

The sub or bass in the second part sounds a bit off.

Drums sounds nice and clean. Some variations would be nice though.

But overall a pretty nice, relaxing track!

Keep it going!

Haha thanks man, every tune I make ends up having a sax or some kind of piano/rhode. There is just something about that sound that keeps drawing me in. I was a bit sceptical on the second half switch up with the added mid bass and the piano stab. I'll try a few other ideas out for how to switch it up. Thanks for the feedback!

this is wicked mate. Really really like it. Need to listen on my system to give a bit more feedback but sounds amazing so far! keep it up

Much appreciated Alex, glad you're feeling the vibe I'm going for with it. I'm working like a 3rd world shoe maker on it at the moment and will post the updated version soon!

Only listening on my phone so can't comment on the sub, but I love the feel of this. The slightly sloppy percussion works really well. The sax and piano stab at around 152 seem a bit off but that's easily fixed

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't played Funky Brother a good 30 times today, I'm liking that tune a lot really resonates with me. I'm going to work on the second half to keep it more in the same vibe as the first half but I still think to make it a little bit more intense might work. Thanks for the feedback!

Nice tune! Unfortunately I can't give you any specific technical advice, except the piano in the end sounds a bit odd, but that may be my shitty speakers. Anyways, I wanted to note that your track has a pleasant and consistent mood and a well-balanced composition – that's something that is not easy to learn and it's really great to hear that in the beginner's track. I'll be following you ;)

Nice tune! Unfortunately I can't give you any specific technical advice, except the piano in the end sounds a bit odd, but that may be my shitty speakers. Anyways, I wanted to note that your track has a pleasant and consistent mood and a well-balanced composition – that's something that is not easy to learn and it's really great to hear that in the beginner's track. I'll be following you ;)

Thanks man, appreciate the time for having a listen. I've been working on bringing it up to scratch and experimenting with different EQ techniques and riffs to see if I can bring it up a few levels. Will post the updated version asap.

Back
Top Bottom