designing a specific type of bass

Quotec

I am currently working on my old track(decided to rework it) and i need some help with making a proper bass. I have been experimenting with zeta2+ for bass making purposes and i quite like the simplicity of this program. So i designed a bass and i can hear vaguely the type of sound in the background which i really love but the problem is that i can´t highlight this part(to make it more audible). I have tried eq-ing and compressing but the results are not impressive though. This makes me think that the problem must be sought rather in the wave format of this bass e.g which type of waves i have combined together. At the moment this bass sounds heavy on the lows but my ideal would be to stress the mids and slightly highs while having a decent low-end too. Seems quite a challenge. As i lack deeper knowledge in sound engineering i came here to discuss and find ideas.

How to achieve the result i want? Have been contemplating about it for a while and my idea is to combine rather saw waves with just a little sine, play around with transpose(seems that +5 and -5 are working pretty well to add crunchiness to the bass) and cutoff filter. What do you think?

I;m using ableton. here is a trick i use.

I create my bass focusing mainly on mid and high, after that, i duplicate it and on the duplicated one, i low pass it and give it a sub boost, after that i group the 2 bases together and add some glue compression to sort of blend it.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
I;m using ableton. here is a trick i use.

I create my bass focusing mainly on mid and high, after that, i duplicate it and on the duplicated one, i low pass it and give it a sub boost, after that i group the 2 bases together and add some glue compression to sort of blend it.

Hope this helped.

Actually this is the thing i am currently doing. Do you completely leave out low-end on mid and high heavy bass?

- - - Updated - - -

Not really sure how to help you on that. We'd need an audio clip of the bass to actually hear what you mean.

Ok, i will find that audio clip.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess this bass here is quite similar to what i try to get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR_gbTczkD4

That kind of bass is made from a slightly driven lowpassed square with a pretty loud layer of sub under it. EZ

Logged in just to thank you. Your piece of advice maybe wasn´t very exhausting but it definitely gave me an idea how to design a bass. I implemented this and guess what - it worked SO FRICKIN WELL! Cheers mate! Maybe one day you get to hear this track.

Back
Top Bottom