Depth, Atmosphere & Noise

Kothy

How do you give a tune depth, atmosphere and noise? Such as making a tune not feel so "empty" or "spacey?"

Any other way besides pads and such?

Press play on your song and turn your monitor screen off and just listen with your ears and a notepad and a pen
and then just write down what you want to add to the tune thats missing while its playing
You will figure it out

Press play on your song and turn your monitor screen off and just listen with your ears and a notepad and a pen
and then just write down what you want to add to the tune thats missing while its playing
You will figure it out

that is dam good advice.
rep.

Reverb and stereo imaging will help. Not sure what DAW your using but logic has a multimeter plug in with a Gonoimeter function which gives you a visual display of the stereo of your mix. Looks like a scribble but indicates where left and right sounds are hitting.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicstudio/effects/index.html#chapter=8%26section=4%26tasks=true

About half way down the page.

Yup, it's all about eq'ing sounds right to give space for all the spacey pads and sounds to make a full phat and clean mixdown.

actually a really good thread....i fill the spaces with fxz, sweeps, white noise etc....but then theres tracks with none of that, just a break and it sounds fat not empty....for example savage rehabs new releases....if you listen to the breaks theres parts where its just the break but it still sounds nice and full.

Is there certain things you should do on each?

It seems like I cutoff majority of my things at like 250-350 hz... so it doesn't weigh my track down. D:

take some element of your track (snare? a 1-shot fx?) and send it to a huge reverb. sample the tail when it has almost faded out and loop it. this will add a really subtle air in your track, with the advantage that your chosen element will blend in extremely well all of a sudden.

take some element of your track (snare? a 1-shot fx?) and send it to a huge reverb. sample the tail when it has almost faded out and loop it. this will add a really subtle air in your track, with the advantage that your chosen element will blend in extremely well all of a sudden.

That's a bangin idea mate, never thought of that. Big up.

havent tried this yet but will tonite.. get a fairy long sample of moody movie audio, something quite varied (atmos/hits/fx). Send it reverbs and delays quite wet. Use the reece trick on the sampler of "Sample start to velocity". So each time you hit a key with different velocity a different atmos stab will be triggered.

havent tried this yet but will tonite.. get a fairy long sample of moody movie audio, something quite varied (atmos/hits/fx). Send it reverbs and delays quite wet. Use the reece trick on the sampler of "Sample start to velocity". So each time you hit a key with different velocity a different atmos stab will be triggered.

Seen that 1 in the blu mar ten tutorial,
Lovin the track in ur sig btw love them breaks

You could multi layer some of your more prominent instruments/melodies. Make sure each layer is made to sit in different freqs, especially bass. Have fun trashing an entire perc track, then sit your perc mono in the mix and add a bit of your trashing over the top in stereo. It's all about the layers baby, gotta do it.

How do you give a tune depth, atmosphere and noise? Such as making a tune not feel so "empty" or "spacey?"

Any other way besides pads and such?
There is something about a professional track.... Like something you can not hear and still fills the void a scream. Like putting ear plugs in, going under water, or the deafening quite of a snow fall. I suspect these are very low harmonics in production. Although I am not quite sure. Someone who can do this well is bad ace. Also john mistz is staring do do this. I have tried finding this out before and failed. When I find the answer I will tell everybody but until then I am in the dark with the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom