Define : D&B Roller

.........I cant believe how many people have no clue what a rolling bassline is. There was already a thread about this and some of the "Examples" of a roller were literally the exact opposite of a roller.

For me its always been: Tunes with a strong continuous linked bass usually in the form of an ascending or descending arpeggio. That could describe a lot of tunes though eh? I'd have to sing a b-line for it to make sense - can't do that on a text forum.

I'd say a roller is something that is consistent from start to finish and not a tune thats goes out of its way if you see what I mean. A tune that you wouldn't use as an intro or an outro and is fairly easy to mix in/ out with. For example

Last edited by a moderator:
Where the bass is thick and deep, eg heavily lowpassed, and just continues to roll on, instead of being in stabs etc. Not a tune you would start or finish with. Middle of the set business.
Also, there's no such thing as a jump up roller, because the bass is too aggressive to be rolling. (as far as I know.)

Last edited:
drum.jpg

smallmouth_bass.jpg

roller3ton.jpg

Simples

Where the bass is thick and deep, eg heavily lowpassed, and just continues to roll on, instead of being in stabs etc. Not a tune you would start or finish with. Middle of the set business.
Also, there's no such thing as a jump up roller, because the bass is too aggressive to be rolling. (as far as I know.)

Yeah, this for sure.

I always think of Logistics - Colourhweel ,

Back in the day[early to mid 90's: )] a "Roller" referred to the the Break that consisted of Drum rolls linked together & often in conjunction with an Amen over the top but nowadays it seem's to have morphed in tracks like 'The Cleaner' by Hybris etc.

:word:

This everyone else is wrong /thread

Back
Top Bottom