Defecting producers...

dquinn09

After the recent revelation by Spor, that he seems to be growing jaded with the scene, I am left wondering, what is it that is turning our best producers over to other genres?

For example Martyn, Breakage, Kryptic Minds are recent examples of producers turning to dubstep.

The commix duo, before they released the fabriclive mix, showed a large affinity with house and techno, as does Klute.

In the past there have been greats like 4hero, A Guy Called Gerald and Boymerang all swapping genres and lowering the bpms.

I am sure there are loads of other examples... I am just interested as to why. For a genre that I can't leave alone and that seems to offer a great deal of diversity and musicality, it seems odd that many of these great producers have strayed.

Maybe as we get older the breaks get a bit much, but then they should challenge themselves to produce dnb that isn't break lead, similar to Lomax's Artisan if you know what I mean...

Thoughts?

i think its mainly people dont wanna be defined to one genre can get borin.
its nice to experiment an see wat u can do with other styles of music.

If you were a talented producer would you want to just produce Drum and Bass for all of your career or would you like to see what you could do if you pushed yourself and stepped into an unknown genre?

Empathy is the key to this subject.

Many artists just cant be bothered with all the bullshit that flies around...

theres far too many geeky kids sitting on forums similar to this who try to know everything about dnb and try to spread their rumours, opinions etc etc...

some opinions get turned into big worldwide ranting... take the whole pendulum thing for example.... many dnb artists have made the crossover from dnb to commercial rock etc.... take Kosheen for example.... no one ever guns down Decoder & Substance for creating a band and going commercial do they???
Its all because some geeky little fuk wit decided to spread his opinion and everyone else thought it was cool to follow.... no it seems like, if you dont like pendulum then your not accepted.... proper fukin stupid....

then theres the whole issue of the scene being split into ever expanding sub genres.... and DJs claiming to be "a jump up DJ" or a "glitch DJ".... blah blah blah... the scene was at its best when there was only 2 sub genres.... Darkside... and not Darkside...

theres so much bullshit going on in the scene right now..... and it all comes from little dnb geeks who think its cool to hunt down illegal dubs or insult producers who spend time and money making the shit they listen to... and the funny thing is... people who insult pendulum for example... will probably buy their next album... or at least download it from a torrent site... slightly hypocritical.....

Anyway... rant over......

If you were a talented producer would you want to just produce Drum and Bass for all of your career or would you like to see what you could do if you pushed yourself and stepped into an unknown genre?

Empathy is the key to this subject.

Obviously I can't empathise, I am not a producer of any note.

However, my thoughts are not based on trying your hand at other genres as such. Most artist albums have a track or two that flirts with downtempo beats of some sort.

It is more the issue of them leaving the genre as a whole. The ones I have mentioned, bar Commix, have actually left the genre entirely, and seemingly become jaded by it. Spor doesn't seem too happy, and it would be a shame if he started producing house or techno...

Many artists just cant be bothered with all the bullshit that flies around...

theres far too many geeky kids sitting on forums similar to this who try to know everything about dnb and try to spread their rumours, opinions etc etc...

some opinions get turned into big worldwide ranting... take the whole pendulum thing for example.... many dnb artists have made the crossover from dnb to commercial rock etc.... take Kosheen for example.... no one ever guns down Decoder & Substance for creating a band and going commercial do they???
Its all because some geeky little fuk wit decided to spread his opinion and everyone else thought it was cool to follow.... no it seems like, if you dont like pendulum then your not accepted.... proper fukin stupid....

then theres the whole issue of the scene being split into ever expanding sub genres.... and DJs claiming to be "a jump up DJ" or a "glitch DJ".... blah blah blah... the scene was at its best when there was only 2 sub genres.... Darkside... and not Darkside...

theres so much bullshit going on in the scene right now..... and it all comes from little dnb geeks who think its cool to hunt down illegal dubs or insult producers who spend time and money making the shit they listen to... and the funny thing is... people who insult pendulum... will probably buy their next album... or at least download it from a torrent site... slightly hypocritical.....

Anyway... rant over......

Rahhh.... you alright mate?

I am not too sure what you mean by the forum dnb geeks, but then again I've only used forums for a bit and don't understand how they can impact the scene.

I think as you get older, and its happened/happening to me, you start to become jaded to it. Because for all the love I have for dnb as a genre of music, I do not cherise the scene or movement as a whole except in small patches or within certain record labels. I used to be engrossed in the scene, now I only care about what dubs are being cut, or when LTJ is playing next.

whats happening with the internet etc with d&b is in effect what happens with the media

the media controls celebs
the fans/media control d&b

if somebody creates a believable rumour about an artist leaking or any other d&b crime then the fans will get pissed off and push the artist away

a lot of it is just broadening horizons.
i never finish anything but ive experimenting with different genres/tempos.
ive been making jungle at 230bpm and stuff like that

huh? Drum and bass and jungle both should fall within 160-180 mate... otherwise you are heading towards some kind of gabba warpspeed shit I have never heard before. Mind uploading some, you got me interested!

Like I have said, experimentation is fine. and I actually love it. Alaska and Nucleus's Atracia (sp?) is wonderfully atmospheric. Also, Mistabishi's View From Nowhere or Instra:Mental's Photograph... and especially Calibre's Drinahilly...

However what about those who leave the genre. If Boymerang kept making tunes I am sure you would all know who he is! Soul Beat Runna still has a great sound on a good sound system today.

Rahhh.... you alright mate?

I am not too sure what you mean by the forum dnb geeks, but then again I've only used forums for a bit and don't understand how they can impact the scene.

I think as you get older, and its happened/happening to me, you start to become jaded to it. Because for all the love I have for dnb as a genre of music, I do not cherise the scene or movement as a whole except in small patches or within certain record labels. I used to be engrossed in the scene, now I only care about what dubs are being cut, or when LTJ is playing next.

Agree with you about getting older and becoming jaded with the scene. Must be even worse for artists who give so much time to give something extra to the scene. Especially if they feel they have more to them than just repeating the same old sounds. Some other producers should maybe take note.

We all turn into dnb snobs sooner or later. I still love dnb more than any other music but just specific parts within dnb. Some of it does nothing for me.

Good for youuu!

I think it's always worth asking the question ...

"Why not?!"

Let them move on to something else if they have fallen out of love with dnb for there will always be new talent around to replace them

Let them move on to something else if they have fallen out of love with dnb for there will always be new talent around to replace them

Very true...

However some artists do have an irreplaceable style... Spor is an obvious example.

However for me, if someone like Calibre chose to leave, who can replace him?

you can replace someone like taxman but not someone like spor

Arrr now that's not fair

You could do a hell of a lot worse than Taxman

Take Taxman, OS and Hazard out of the scene for example and there's not that much quality jump-up still being made but for a few other good producers!

Back
Top Bottom