Deep Minimal Kick help?

Eddie McGee

I've been trying to make these big, organic deep minimal kick sounds for a while, but I can't seem to get them so big and wide, yet deep at the same time. Any indication of how I could create this?

Examples:

When you say make, do you mean with samples or synthesis?

If you're using sample id highly recommend making your own, much easier imo.

Parallel processing m8.

Have an aux send active. I usually have an aux with some of the lowend rolled off. Add some saturation, but not too much. Overdrive instead of distortion.

Actually, stick a very short reverb before the distortion.
Use a mid side eq and remove all the low end at the sides. Use a stereo widener and widen it a bit.
Also try sending a Tom to that aux as well but lower the resonant peak so it doesn't really have much of a tone.

Sorry this isn't specific. I can't type with my phone

Parallel processing m8.

Have an aux send active. I usually have an aux with some of the lowend rolled off. Add some saturation, but not too much. Overdrive instead of distortion.

Actually, stick a very short reverb before the distortion.
Use a mid side eq and remove all the low end at the sides. Use a stereo widener and widen it a bit.
Also try sending a Tom to that aux as well but lower the resonant peak so it doesn't really have much of a tone.

Sorry this isn't specific. I can't type with my phone

This is the method I've been trying but I struggle to make it sound big if I only widen the mids and highs because in bass drum those tones lack power or the sounds I'm looking for... I sort of need a way to widen the lows on a kick but that always ends up messily?

A nifty trick I learnt is a small boost on the sides around 110hz with something like Pro-Q. Check the fab filter vids on YouTube. Loads of good info on mid/side

Back
Top Bottom