Deep and moving reese

dethurah

Hi :) I'm having some troubles trying to get my deep sub reese to sound right. I can't get it to "move" the way I want it to. I was wondering how you work with these, how you get them to move or pulse.

I'm not even sure if I'm basically treating the bass right. I usually compress and limit them, but perhaps it's the volume changes that makes the pulse? Then again, how do you control the movement?

Also i dont't feel like I can make them warm enough. Do you have any techniques?
I tried to search, but couldn't find quite what I was looking for.

E.g. Icicle - Spartan

Last edited:
I think everyone will have a different answer to this. When I create a nice rolling reece style bassline I generally use two Square waves slightly detuned from eachother, both with the cutoff fairly low, then, to make the "pulse" I would simply automate the cutoff filter to open slightly every so often.

To get more dynamics to your reece, maybe try adding a little light distortion, maybe a little chorus etc etc.

But like I say, everyone's different, and someone may post here saying I'm completely wrong.........which I could be :)

sato said earlier that detuning also gives movement to bass. You can vary the movement if you resample the bass on different settings and use those in a sampler.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Synth: 1 sub sine wave, 2-4 saw waves, detuned +20 to -20 cents, some synced, some free. 12dB/oct LP filter with little to none resonance, medium cutoff and lfo movement.

Channel: send to a reverbed highpassed channel to spark the high end (or not if you want it to stay completely lowpassed), another 12dB/oct LP static filter with low cutoff and no resonance.

It's a start anyway.

hardware ===> resample ====> add distortion ====> fatness

But really, we have had way too many questions that have been answered 10x better, go look around the forum

Id either say: 2 detuned sawtooths, run through a low pass filter, then run though a unison (adds x amount of voices detuned by y amount)
Or 2 Offset saw waves (asin Pulse waves the opposited way round) and jjust the same as before. slight compression and distor to taste. Then Automate the filter cut off to taste resample. Automate/Resample til our happy with it. i you can get the right sound try layering to different sounding reece patches together and resampling them together. etc etc hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom