Decks when you have no room...

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by josh, Feb 1, 2007.

1. josh

josh "LOUD NOISES!"

Basically the story goes... A friend of mine has gone away for a few months and she's kindly left me her decks/mixer and some vinyl for me to have a play with. Now I don't have any grand delusions of becoming the next big name in dnb or anything, but it would be fun to get them set up so that I can use them regularly, because they're currently piled up (carefully!) in a corner.

Now, I do (just) have room to set them up in said corner, but I've got absolutely nothing to put them on. I was wondering if just setting them up on the floor would be a worthwhile solution for now, or whether I'm going to cause some kind of horrific damage to them in this way.

Alternatively does anyone have any ghetto/cheapass solutions to this issue? I considered getting some bricks and bit of hardboard... But bear in mind that I'm a skinted student and ideally want to spend all my spare cash on 90s happy hardcore off ebay...

2. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

dont put em on the floor! one drunken stumble into em and ist bye bye...

haha

used soem bricks n wood...

safe

3. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Get a long piece of board, some mounting brackets, fit to wall.

4. dirtyhabit

dirtyhabit dirtyhabit

get anything you can mate sort of table height - then mesure the dex's n mixer - go to b&q and get the cheapest bit of wood/mdf cut to size and plant it on anything that will hold em, and enjoy many happy rinse outs! - or just kick sumones fence down a claim it for a table mate, its all good.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  5. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

Go around the back of a Kwik Save or something and nab some milk crates, sturdy as fuck and one turntable will fit on top of a crate snugly. I did that when I was a student and it worked proper (y)

6. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

Milk crates FTW!

7. mesh

mesh Active Member

yep close, milk crates FTW.

Josh are you about 6 foot? My set -up (has been for years it is so reliable) is 6 milk-crates and one wooden door, minus handle. 3 crates on each side, balance door on top and laid firmly up against the wall (this is quite important, works a lot better if you wedge it into a corner too). Its the perfect height, could not be more so!

If the milk crates are designed to fit snug into each other, there is no problem with stability, combined with the wall.. Just add on old piece of cloth to drape over the whole lot and you're set. You can slide any record crates under the table no probs. dont leave overhang on the door, get the crates to the most stable position.

make sure all your leads and wires are tucked away, and dont let beer to close to them!

if you put them on the floor your records will skip as soon as you take a step bro.

enjoy!! we will demand triple drop 3 deck mixes within 2 weeks!

8. 1992

1992 Novantadue

Yeah!!!!!
    :rave::who_wants :grouphug::cheerlead :miss_rep:

9. josh

josh "LOUD NOISES!"

Cheers for the replies everyone!

Alas no can do, rented accommodation innit.

Sounds like a plan, I'll get on the scrounge over the weekend, thinking about removing a door from the wardrobe, looks about the right size...

Ahahaha, no not even close... I guess that means I need to steal less stuff to stack up tho :)

Hooray, I'm not the only one...! :D:D:D

10. mesh

mesh Active Member

well 3 crates high will still be pretty right for you to mix on without messing your neck up anyway mate

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  11. sirGUNZ

sirGUNZ Bassline Buddy

make a shelf put on the wallizzle

12. Flatmatt

Flatmatt Member

Armed robbery in B&Q, sorted!! (y) :teeth:

13. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

Milk crates = Ghetto chic.

Skips, dairies & the streets will provide...

Depending what mixer (if it's got 'edges') you might not need a door. Wedge it / hang it between milk crates & decks, or rest it on top of the edges of the decks...

:fag:

Ps. Fook bricks. Breeze blocks innit... You only need a few and they are cheap (& lightweight).

Not worth armed robbery for £10 worth of blocks...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  14. josh

josh "LOUD NOISES!"

I did spot a milk float on the way to uni yesterday, but wasn't sure how I could get away with 6 crates from it at the time, they were all full of milk bottles too... :(

Luckily, thanks to the return of my borrowed fishtank, I now have a table! It's only a bit wobbly but I've improved the situation by wedging it up against the wall.

Final ingredient required is my lack of headphones, but have some of them ordered (thanks for the link Mike!) :)

DJ stardom here I come... haaaaa

15. jay walker

jay walker 1/2 of Passive/Aggressive

Ive got a stack of happy hardcore collecting dust - 92 to 98/99 some utter cheese (lookin back on it now) and loads of classics. methinks about 150 records +. Extensive Essential platinum back catalogue, Hect-tech, Impact etc.

Could sell as a job-lot or a starter pack (10-20 vinyls). The missus lives in Pompey so wouldnt be a problem in getting em to you. :)