Deck desk...

cat

I'm thinking of making my own dj table in the summer. Yerr I can use all the tools and shit, who needs men :P.

Buttt I want a design so I can paint it and shape it and do lots of lovely stuff.
Also I'm not sure what type of material I should use, I was thinking MDF cause its quite cheap but it's not really that strong is it?

Any suggestions?

mahogany, at least 2 inches thick preferably from a rainforest.

seriously, MDF should be fine as long as it aint super super thin and when you make it be sure to leave holes for wires!

mahogany, at least 2 inches thick preferably from a rainforest.

seriously, MDF should be fine as long as it aint super super thin and when you make it be sure to leave holes for wires!

Clever man I blatantly would not have thought to do holes.

I just used some 2"x4" wood for the legs and frame, then some 1/2" thick MDF for the top and shelve. Heres a couple of pictures, its beaut making your own cos it can all be custom (y)

img0368800x600.jpg

img0371800x600.jpg

Hope that gives you some inspiration :)

Oh and excuse the wiring on the bottom pic, my decks always end up at someones place after a messy one, so thats why its a mess down there lol..

Oh and excuse the wiring on the bottom pic, my decks always end up at someones place after a messy one, so thats why its a mess down there lol..

Haha its cool
Well good for you, you did a really good job.
I've never done aaanything like this before so it'll be a fun little project for me :D

Just re-read your post and if you wanted to paint and shape it, i'd get a relativly thin flexable wood like this:

http://www.onlyone-pro.com/tennage/

It depends on your budget more then anything how far you can go but if you want to shape it and paint it etc then this is shizzle.

Just re-read your post and if you wanted to paint and shape it, i'd get a relativly thin flexable wood like this:

It depends on your budget more then anything how far you can go but if you want to shape it and paint it etc then this is shizzle.

Flexible though? Is that good if there's gonna be a hefty amount of weight on it? It's nice wood either way.

Hold on I've just thought, I don't mean shape it as in... like bend it, I mean saw bits off and shape it that way. Get the sander on the go :D

That is why you said "Any suggestions?" lol.. Hopefully some other peeps with contribute ;)

im worse than the leaning tower of pisa architect.. i just ended up gettin a flat-pack chest of drawers from ikea with a nice big surface. stood there looking well smug once i'd put it together, it only took bout a couple hours to do and actually looks the dogs compared to these scrapheap challenge things people do themselves. set me 50 quid or so, but will save you a lot of blood sweat and tears honestly

A friend of mine has a fold-out conference table like this:

398677_sk_lg.jpg

His decks are on the deck cases to make them higher, etc. and the mixer is elevated up to a proper level. he has stands in front of the table,(behind the decks/mixer, etc.) that has a laptop as he uses Serratto mostly now. Can't recall what's up on the other stand... But his vinyl is stored under the table among other places..he does scratchin' while mixin' as he mainly spins Electro breaks, although I've got him into dubstep mixin' a bit as well. But yeah, the table is sturdy even for the scratchin' goin' on, etc. He spun at one of my brothers parties, and took the table, etc. with him, set up nice with no worries of fallin' over, etc...

I bought a table for $50 AU, and just jacked it up on limestone blocks. Took me about 2 minutes from start to finish and the table has a steel frame so its stable as fuck.

MIght be worth considering if you don't have the time/money/effort for a custom one !

Try making it out of something high densit so it absorbs vibrations better (less problem with feedback when its LOUD! Needs to have crossbeams somewhere too really or very good joints, dont want any wobbles...

My mates a joiner so i'm gonna design and make one with him this summer after I got all my cash together for Sun & Bass :twisted:

if the table heavier then less noises, disturbances in the sound (force), search ur feelings.... but really - if u gonna use it at home double mdf will be ok - just zcrew it right with each other - remember bout the legs!
should be strong and stable! care 4 equipment!

There's some good advice in this thread like. If your going to buy one then I think Kam do a standard table for about £100 but if you still want to make your own (which I would do cause I like making stuff lol) then here's some ideas:

3_002E_1a.jpg

I like the idea of having the decks and mixer flush with the top of the table:
dj-table.jpg

This one is slick, you could make one like this but instead of the slats on the side of it you could have that bit cut out for your records:

red-bull-dj-table.jpg

2419919923000e4b03aab.jpg

89f51.jpg

Actually after look at these I'm quite tempted to make my own now!

There's some good advice in this thread like. If your going to buy one then I think Kam do a standard table for about £100 but if you still want to make your own (which I would do cause I like making stuff lol) then here's some ideas:

3_002E_1a.jpg

I like the idea of having the decks and mixer flush with the top of the table:
dj-table.jpg

This one is slick, you could make one like this but instead of the slats on the side of it you could have that bit cut out for your records:

red-bull-dj-table.jpg

2419919923000e4b03aab.jpg

89f51.jpg

Actually after look at these I'm quite tempted to make my own now!

welsh they look sick man

Back
Top Bottom