deciding on a new synth

Groovestick

yo.

been a user of massive and solely massive for about 6 months now (it was my first and only synth i bought when i started getting into production) and i think i've got a good enough handle on it to maybe branch out and try some other things.

it's not that massive isn't good enough, it's just for sake of change and finding new interesting synths.

i've been looking at razor lately and fm8 but i'm not sure cause there is z3ta and albino and alchemy and all those other huge synths out there.

any of you dudes have experience with fm8 and/or razor? how do z3ta and albino compare to massive? is it worth the purchase?

FM8, Razor & Z3ta are all great in their own right, i'd recommend razor out the three, fm8 a close second, and then z3ta just for the fact its interface is abit behind the others imo. i still use z3ta sometimes for leads and pads, its good for that. fm8 is simular in some ways to massive with tonnes of varying presets, not as good as it for making dirty b-lines though in my experience. razor sounds awesome, good presets, great functionality and you can pick it up in no time.

yeah, i'm looking for something that has tonnes of tweakability. i know razor is a simpler synth but it looks really, really cool. i view massive as a big workhorse synth that can do a lot of stuff and yeah, it's great to get real distorted patches from.

what's the difference between massive, z3ta and albino? they look relatively similar. i don't really wanna lay out some cash on something that's real similar to massive, cause massive is hella versatile.

i'll probably end up with razor soon. only thing i worry about with razor is that it will be too simple and i will lose interest in it too soon because it's not as complex as massive.

razor can get complex if you delve into everything properly, i find the interface abit of a pain sometimes as not everything is straight in front, also starting new patches from scratch is a pain its alot easier to edit pre existing ones, they my main gripes really. Z3ta has 6 oscillators, that i would say is its main benefit, can make some rich leads/pads and great for reese basslines. albino i havent a clue on that, never used it myself.

if you ask me i think you'll get bored pretty quickly whichever you choose coming from massive cause its the most diverse one avaliable, complex with an easy workflow, i use it 90% of the time

Back
Top Bottom