Decibels level and your hearing

duckstep

As topic suggests im looking for some info of decibels levels that are as high as you can go without hurting your hearing.

Im currently using a logitech g35 headset for my sound and i find that sometimes to hear all the parts of the song i have to increase the volume by so much that after some hours my ears start hurting. Do you have some guidelines you follow up on volume?

Or do studio headphones make a big difference that allows you to hear the sounds more detailed at lower volume?
Or do even decent studio speakers allow this more effective?

In what price range would you be looking to get the desired headphones/studio speakers?

Cheers

As topic suggests im looking for some info of decibels levels that are as high as you can go without hurting your hearing.

Im currently using a logitech g35 headset for my sound and i find that sometimes to hear all the parts of the song i have to increase the volume by so much that after some hours my ears start hurting. Do you have some guidelines you follow up on volume?

Or do studio headphones make a big difference that allows you to hear the sounds more detailed at lower volume?
Or do even decent studio speakers allow this more effective?

In what price range would you be looking to get the desired headphones/studio speakers?

Cheers

hey, i'm using G35's too. using 7.1 gaming headset for production :teeth:

they don't make more good mixing headphones, simply not designed for it.

i've found my ways of coping with shitty speakers - this being - making my own mastering presets.

i'll open them in my next project, and mastering as you go helps a hell of a lot, as much as it may takes it's toll on your cpu

always use a DB meter on the master, too - try to keep it at about.. -6 to 0

the point of mastering is too just get everything louder - mastering and mixing are too different things

mixing, making sure the frequencies don't clash and everything is cohesive, and the mastering to get it louder, and still keeping it cohesive. studio headphones, would most likely make a difference - you want headphones that aren't going to exaggerate the bass or any type of frequency overly. monitors would make a hell of a difference, that's why most professional, if not all, producers roll with these. also, a tip, try to turn the EQ off on your G35, the software will fuck with your mixing and mastering, and won't sound good on other systems.

i'm not experienced in buying these monitor speakers, etc.

but i've seen that decent pairs go for $600-$900 - i've seen some people pick up the same product for even cheaper. all depends where you buy i think, mate.

i can give some reference though. i know Noisia use ADAM speakers, or they did say they were using them for years.

here is another link for you, mate.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/krk-rokit-powered-8-g2-package

i've heard good things about KRK or whatever they're named :lol:

excuse the mic and the stand, etc. i was looking at it when i was singing :teeth:

I've been looking at a second hand set of studio equipment so i can get good quality/$.
1025567768.jpg

How do the speaker(or monitors w/e they are called) connect to your computer, do a default motherboard soundcard work or do you need to buy something more to put in between? Asking so i can skip the things i dont need from his studio and only take the necessitys.

I've been looking at a second hand set of studio equipment so i can get good quality/$.
1025567768.jpg

How do the speaker(or monitors w/e they are called) connect to your computer, do a default motherboard soundcard work or do you need to buy something more to put in between? Asking so i can skip the things i dont need from his studio and only take the necessitys.

if there is an audio interface going, then get that included. it is what you will need to connect up your monitors....... motherboard soundcards are wank with very limited ins/outs

if there is an audio interface going, then get that included. it is what you will need to connect up your monitors....... motherboard soundcards are wank with very limited ins/outs

Is there usually a in between soundcard(as in external not in the computer) included in audio interface? If not could you link some sound cards that are recommendable for music production in a affordable price range :bone:

Cheers

Is there usually a in between soundcard(as in external not in the computer) included in audio interface? If not could you link some sound cards that are recommendable for music production in a affordable price range :bone:

Cheers

You definitely want an audio interface, the on-board sound card won't do it for you. Aside from the lack of quality, coming from your on board card means you would need an 1/8" to 2x RCA/TRS adapter. So already, your taking a mono signal and splitting it, effecting the natural flow of the signal. To add, you'll most certainly experience the dreaded speaker "hum" using the on board audio card to your monitors.

Check out TC Electronics Konnekt 6 and the Roland Quad Capture. Both are affordable and good quality.

Once you've got an interface, the sky is the limit in terms of monitors. If you're looking for affordability, I suggest KRK's, but that's just my pref. If you have money to spend, go ADAM.

Cheers.

Not gonna buy interface new, he's selling it all as a package so i will just use the one he have currently. Any suggestions on good affordable soundcards?

Im using fl studio and i really dont want to change daw if its an option, because i am really comfortable with it.

@topic the second hand monitors i was looking out got sold so i need to start looking elsewhere.
Im at a pricerange of 1000 (preferable if you can get decent quality) - 2000(only if really needed) euros, anyone got a set of monitors with necessary equipment they can link the price off

(this is ofc price of them in store condition as new, looking for something i can compare with)

Thanks

Last edited:
what do you mean?
Some cards DO NOT support some DAWS, they may be buggy.

Im using fl studio and i really dont want to change daw if its an option, because i am really comfortable with it.

@topic the second hand monitors i was looking out got sold so i need to start looking elsewhere.
Im at a pricerange of 1000 (preferable if you can get decent quality) - 2000(only if really needed) euros, anyone got a set of monitors with necessary equipment they can link the price off

(this is ofc price of them in store condition as new, looking for something i can compare with)

Thanks

Dude, for that kind of money, you can get a beast setup..

Back
Top Bottom