Decent, quiet, laptop cooling stands?

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist
As above really, using my Macbook Pro i7 with LPX and it's getting mighty toasty after an hour session with bare plugins.

Can anyone recommend a good one they've used that isn't too noisy?

Safety

I have these HUGE solid plastic rectangular ice packs that fit perfectly under my MBP, just toss one under there and it'll keep a reasonable temp for quite a while. Totally silent too, and you can get them on the cheap.

I'm interested in this too. I built a stand out of two iron dumbbells hoping it would conduct heat, but since there is still the plastic case between I doubt it does. It definitely does better than suffocating the laptop by placing it directly on a flat surface, but the fan still runs constantly after awhile of producing.

I've purchased one of these.

Yes, it's the dumbest invention ever but it's quite effective in allowing a bit more air circulation. I have yet to find a "cooling pad" that: a.) doesn't require USB power b.) isn't obnoxiously loud.

Yeah I've got an i7 and they tend to get a bit hot, which isn't a bad thing since it's distributing the heat from the internal components...though your lap may disagree.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Cheers Lost, i looked at something like that but it really doesn't help disipate too much more heat. I had a proper search last night and found this:

cooler_master_notepal_u3_news.jpg

You can move the fans where ever is hottest and they attach to a slick aluminum cage :)

I'll report back once i've given it a 'spin' LEWL

Cheers Lost, i looked at something like that but it really doesn't help disipate too much more heat. I had a proper search last night and found this:

cooler_master_notepal_u3_news.jpg

You can move the fans where ever is hottest and they attach to a slick aluminum cage :)

I'll report back once i've given it a 'spin' LEWL

Well played sir, lol.

That's actually a pretty "cool" looking device (I couldn't resist).

I dig that you can move the fans accordingly...definitely the left hand side would benefit the hotbox that is the MacBook Pro i7. I may have to pick one of these up...

Haha cool! Lol yeah looks dapper, £30 to keep your lappy cool is worth for sure!

So it arrived today - too sick!

Ran LPX on my desk at work, shit got pretty hot, had a feel of the the hot spots and then moved the fans accordingly and voila - stone cold lappy!

Would highly recommend and it looks slick too!

Ran LPX on my desk at work, shit got pretty hot, had a feel of the the hot spots and then moved the fans accordingly and voila - stone cold lappy!

Care for a link bossman?

Excellent!! Looks like an early Xmas present for yours truly.

Cheers Russla!

Honestly, I wouldn't go too far with laptop cooling. Laptops are meant to be carried around, and sure, mine (G55VW) has a huge ass grill and ventilation system, but with all the carrying around, one of the fans are now broken, at they're not that neat to switch out, and it now somtimes sound like a whole brass section. If you want something quiet, go for a dekstop, which can be much cheaper than a laptop if assembled by yourself (Can also be much more expensive if you fuck it up :) ). Water cooling is a good, quiet, a tad more expensive way of cooling a desktop computer. Or, if you have the space, technically heat grills that fills out your whole appartment. Sometimes less is possible, though :)

Yeah, not much help finding a laptop, sorry, but maybe you will one day join the dark side, and get yourself a desktop :D

EDIT: Nvm, saw you bought that grill, Imma buy one too, I think, LOL

Last edited:
Had an iMac (for sale actually) before mate but i like producing on the go, the stand stays in my studio anyways :)

And bun Windows PC's in the fucking a-hole ... That talk is blasphemy to me ha!

Back
Top Bottom