Decent Music Making Program For A Beginner?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Vanchatron, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Vanchatron

Vanchatron New Member

I'm extremely into all types of trance (progressive especially) & Drumb & Bass/Dubstep etc. I often have a lot of free time on my hands, and was thinking of trying to make a few tracks myself, but was wondering just how hard it was.

I heard there are programs you can get for your PC which you can use to create music tracks/beats, but I've no idea which to get.

I've NEVER used a music program before or anything like that and haven't ever really studied anything to do with music, so was wondering if you guys could recommend an easy(ish) music program for a beginner, so I can mess around with it and 'try' to create some tracks as I've got some ideas in my head. I just need to get them made now. A music making program that has all the basics yet is fairly easy to get used to, would be perfect for me.

I'll probably start off making absolutely crap tracks, but perhaps when I get used to it I'll be able to put more effort in and make them a better. Obviously I'm not expecting to get straight onto the program and make a world famous track after just 15 mins, but you get my point. It's worth a shot anyway I think. I just need to know where to start.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

2. ilovelondon

ilovelondon Call me Jens.

There's so much. But you might like the combination Fruity Loops with a bunch of youtube tutorials (the latter is probably needed whatever program you choose). Also, you better grow to be part of the dnbforum family if your first post is already a question or cry for help. Or i will knock you the fuck out!

:welcome:

3. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

try them all out... its whats best for you, not us ;)

ableton live
    fruity loops
    reason
    logic
    cubase

nuff to get you started... most should have a free demo to try out (y)

4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

www.modplugcentral.com
    100% free and 500% awesome. specially if you like raga jungle and jungle techno and old school stuff like that.

5. Vanchatron

Vanchatron New Member

Much appreciated, thanks guys. Out of the ones listed, which (in your opinion) do you feel is most suited to a beginner? As I said, I'm 100% new to this and don't want to jump straight into any over complicated program to begin with. I know that they'll ALL be complicated to begin with, but the easier the better to be honest.

6. sten360

sten360 Member

I guess FL Studio is quite beginner friendly. It has the easiest workflow imo. That's not to say it's a beginner only DAW though, you can do anything with it you can with the other DAWs and a lot of great artists have proved it, fuck the haters.

I'm using FL myself. I've tried Ableton Live and Cubase but just couldn't bring myself to like them. Sure they had a few nice features but overall just wasn't for me. I'd love to try Logic though, seems very similar to FL but perhaps more clean and professional. Too bad it's Mac only...

7. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

modplug tracker. its awesome.

8. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

i'm an ableton man myself... but here are some links to DL trial versions... as i dont think you're getting the 'whats best for you' message

ableton live 8 demo

fruity loops demo

download both of these, give them a shot... both user friendly, both pro (y)

9. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Mixcraft 5 is the easiest to use daw ive used, and ive tried loads......

10. Strobe

Strobe New Member

I'm fairly new to production too and I use REAPER, it's really good and only £25 or $40. And then I use free plugins like independence free to sample basses and I use free vst's like tal elek7ro and kore player

11. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

they are all daunting to start with, but after a month or 2 things will become a bit easier. FL or Ableton Live are good to start,

12. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

actually, if you have a mac and you are TOTALLY new, garageband is a pretty good place to start

sorry just reread that you need pc only

13. JungleFever

JungleFever Member

fruity fruity fruity watch couple of tutorials on bat making get a synth and your half way there my friend :)