Decent headphones for production. (I know another one of these threads!)

Discussion in 'Production' started by Sammy Dexcell, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

So......I am currently in need of some decent headphones! I'm using some cheap pioneer ones atm and they are on their way out.
    I also own a pair of Beats by Dre's (I know :mrpanic:) but I actually really like the sound quality? Though they are pretty sub heavy and they lie about high-end!
    So I need some new cans that I can replace the Dre's with so I only have to use them as reference.
    I've had my eye on the DT990 Pro's. Ideally I want some battery powered ones as I do not have an amp to power them. Besides I'd rather spend that hypothetical cash on better (plug n play type) headphones??
    So, in a way, money is no option as ill probably get them on finance but I'm looking for something in the £300 mark?? The main concern here is a TRUE flat sound..

All suggestions and alternative advice is welcome :2thumbs:

Safe

2. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Ok, I'm in the same boat. I've been looking at online (yeah, I know) opinions and reviews about the beyers (had dt 770 before, loved them) so:

The feeling I got was that the 990 was more of a 'fun' headphone, a little bit hi-fi, sounds nice to listen to.
    The 880 is very neutral but open backed so not much isolation.
    The 1350 is really flat, on ear style like the hd25's, and recommended by a lot of people. Some people call them 'bass light', some call it accurate, but if you have the beats for when you want to crank the bass that might not worry you so much.

The 1350's are the ones I'm leaning towards so if anyone can add an opinion that would be great.

3. underspawn

underspawn Headz Roll

What do you guys think about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ?

4. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

As a rule of thumb, if your looking for new gear and have a few makes/models in mind, googling the make or model with "reviews" after it yields a metric fuck tonne of results 99% of the time, most have comparison charts etc. Might be worth checking out whilst your waiting for people to reply.

5. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Personally, I love my KRK KNS 8400's. They take a bit of burn-in to get rolling, but I love em to bits. To top it off, they're quite affordable. I'm sure I'll upgrade one day, but for the time being they do the trick.

Cheers.

6. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

That's what I bought as a quick replacement when my 770's got destroyed and my first impressions were that they were not as exciting or lush sounding as the beyers (which could well translate as flatter, so not necessarily a negative, more likely a positive)
    The beyers with the velour pads suited my head to perfection, absolutely loved them, could easily forget I was wearing them (as in stand up and walk away only to be dragged back by the cable.) This is definitely not the case with the M50's. I wouldn't call them uncomfortable, but I have taken them off sometimes just to give my head a break.
    I do like them, I would call them workman-like, like a colleague you work well with but wouldn't really invite to the pub after work. I like the balance between the sub and the bass region once you get used to it. Having said that, I am looking for another set to buy/try out, so that says something too.

7. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Mate I've got Audio Technica ATH-M35 at the moment and I find them quite good for mixing/mastering D&B :)

8. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

You got Beats, but you over here bitchin? Naw nigga, see, those fools on the block that be tellin you not to be usin Beats are just jelly they ain't got that supah-bass.

What I'm saying is if you have monitors or access to monitors and a treated room, train your ears to know what a clean, even response sounds like, then it won't fucking matter what the hell you're listening from, you'll be able to adjust accordingly. Plus, I'd say 98% of your listeners are not going to have even-response, calibrated monitors in an acoustically sound environment in the first place, so fuck it.

9. JoeCarlse

JoeCarlse -ToxicExit09-

I got a pair of sennheiser px360's for christmas, they were £80, and sound pretty nice for that price! They arent really bass heavy, but if you want more bass just put an Equalizer on! Also they have a real nice look to them, so you can use them when you out and about too!

10. dieiscast

dieiscast Member

What about The AKG 702? Anyone tried this one?

11. _MILLA

_MILLA Flamboyant muthafucka

i hear beats by dre are peng ting ha

12. alz

alz compress to impress

fuck headphones man, get some monitors, adam a3's, ribbon tweeters for the high/mids and use ur headphones for the lows, aslong as you know they're exaggerating the response then you can compensate.

also these are really cheap, def worth a look: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mackie-HR...Elec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item2a273d5411

or if you're going down the finance route, get some new krk's and a decent audio interface and you'll start building towards a decent set up.

best thing to do is think of the future when you're producing, is it something you're going to carry on with and build on? If so then invest in decent equipment or things you're going to use in the future. I dropped a lot on my monitors, but I'm only planning to buy one pair, also got an audio interface, I know I'm gonna be buying some hardware synths/microphone's so it was a given.

13. alcaponeuk

alcaponeuk Member

i havent got round to buying my monitors yet, but my bro brought me home some sennheiser hd 419's on my birthday - they seem pretty accurate to my ears and for the price u definitely cant go wrong! most headphones nowadays are all sub heavy cause of these bumseed 15 year old skrillex followers who like the feeling of there brain vibrating - the 419s are pretty rounded, check them out

14. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

This nigga;s legit.

15. sonic72

sonic72 Active Member

DT 990 Pro are professional headphones, they are not just for fun!

I own some and they are very accurate. Yes they are bassy, but that is because they are open, but they sure are not boosted in the bass area, it's just due to the open design.

Closed headphones have a totally different bass, and I find bass-wise the DT 990's translate better to my monitors and vice versa than my closed AKG's, which are now just used as another reference.

Mistabishi produced 'Drop' on them, and has since made more music using them. Having monitors gives you the best of both worlds, but it is possible to mixdown just using headphones, especially if you A/B with other producer's tracks so you can get fully accustomed to them.

You do not need a headphone amp for the DT 990's if you have the 250 ohm version, I just use my soundcard headphone amp, that is sufficient. If you buy the 600 ohm version you will need an amp though. Using an amp and the 600 ohm version you will notice a sound improvement because you wont be driving them so hard, but unless you have a few grand spare then it's pointless buying a headphone amp configuration.

The difference is not that great for me to warrant spending a couple of grand on a high end amp, and pointless buying a cheap amp as you are just throwing money away. Mistabishi did not buy an amp, and many people make music on headphones without an amp.

DT 990's are a great piece of kit at a great price, I fully rate them personally.

16. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Cheers (y) that's good to know. They're a lot cheaper over here compared to the 1350's as well.

17. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

Mate I don't need new monitors lol
    I just need some decent FLAT sounding headphones. I'm mostly producing way too late in the night/early in the morning to be using monitors.
    Plus I'm used to producing on headphones and atm I'm personally not feeling the Dre's anymore.

@sonic72

That's exactly what I needed to hear to make the commitment. Ill be holding you personally responsible for my future production clarity! ;)
    Cheers for the insight! :2thumbs:

Thanks for the replies everyone ill come back to this thread once I purchased the new cans and give my detailed run down! (if any1 cares lol)

18. darkstepz

darkstepz Guest

for me its between seinheiser hd6 mix , seinheiser hd 380 pro studio or audio technika m50s... which is the best choice ???

19. darkstepz

darkstepz Guest

just bought the audio technica ATH M50X'S .. GREAT HEADPHONES!!

20. Tomekn

Tomekn Member

So tell us Sammy, what headphones did you end up buying TWO YEARS AGO? :flamzom:

RUSSLA and Dark Lizardro like this.