dec setups in clubs

klusta

Pulsar
VIP Junglist
is it just me or are some people/clubs real lazy when setting dex up or maintaining/cleaning them to get the best out of them?

Problems I've encountered

Shit needles that arn't setup properly or they're close to death, i.e. weight and anti skipping.
Piss poor slipmats that wobble side to side caus the hole is too big, how the fuck am I meant to scratch with them??!!
Unpolished platters - now this real pisses me off, when will people learn?

Anyone ever encoutered any other dec problems in clubs?

played on some club 1200s that had the grip part of the pitch control missing, so just a fiddly little piece of metal to fuck around with. Annoying but not destroying.

Thing is they could have fixed the fuckers so easily,

:violin:

ever play on those deck set-ups that are suspended from the ceiling on chains or somesuch?
They work until trainspotters lean over ... 'hey mate what's th --- SCRAAAATCH !!!'

been there.

Grasshopper says 'Always bring own stylus'

Microphone's................................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, motherfuckers!!!!!

Every single bloody fucking horrendous wanky fucked up time after half hour of mic check's some cunt plays with it!! I hate it enough when i'm MC'ing..........I seriously, seriously,seriously get extremely angry when I hear feedback when DJing! Its just like the worst noise ever and whenever there's some little town rat MCing they don't seem to care!! Won't ask me to turn it down, don't move away from the speaker's, they just stand there bussin' there little heart's out.

Ahh, bless em, blud :teeth:

I've seen the works mate:

Twisted arms on the decks
Mixer channels failing in mid play
Pitch controls with blind spots
Motors deciding to go faster and faster until i turn the fuckers off for no reason at all
Fucked needles
Pitch controls calibrated completely wrong

All those folks that say you can drop a technics down the stairs and it'll work like new can just fuck right off! I've seen nuff knackered technics decks. I also can't remember the last time in a club where the reading on the pitch slider was anywhere near what it should have been.

One other thing that fucks me off is the crossfaders on allen & heath mixers which all clubs seem to have these days. They have a curve adjust that does nothing. Why ruin what could be the perfect club mixer?

Mind you I had to use this massive behringer mixer once where the channels both dipped in volume while the crossfader was in the middle, there was a 19 inch cd player between the mixer and left deck and I was on an upper floor with no monitor and the speakers were under me.

Rant over, had to let off a bit of steam there to all the slack promoters and club installation guys. SORT YOUR SHIT OUT!
I had to do the entire set in headphones to a crowd that were invisible. Shame I forgot my periscope eh?

And one final thing:

On the first proper gig I ever did I arrived at the club to find that someone had actually taken a shit on the slipmat of one of the decks

I found this pretty funny tho heheh

Serum said:
And one final thing:

On the first proper gig I ever did I arrived at the club to find that someone had actually taken a shit on the slipmat of one of the decks

I found this pretty funny tho heheh
:shit_happ :lol_board nah thats fooked up!

Well, ive played at one club, and they had taped up the on and off switch on the 1210's, so they always on, skipping needles, and also proper scratched up pitch controll

One thing I find in clubs is that every DJ thinks putting anti skate to 3 will stop skipping when actually it makes it skip more in the opposite direction.
I always get to the deck and think it's all gonna go wrong but every fuckin time it's the anti skate.

mesh said:
played on some club 1200s that had the grip part of the pitch control missing, so just a fiddly little piece of metal to fuck around with. Annoying but not destroying.

haha, now that's pretty shiiiiit!

Serum said:
One thing I find in clubs is that every DJ thinks putting anti skate to 3 will stop skipping when actually it makes it skip more in the opposite direction.
I always get to the deck and think it's all gonna go wrong but every fuckin time it's the anti skate.

So you set it to "0"? I always thought that setting it to zero will make the record ware out quicker. The thing I hate about my turntables is that they didn't come with directions and I haven't found a place on the net that really talks about how to set them.

Another thing is the counter weight. I honestly haven't a clue as to where to set them so that the needle won't skip yet at the same time there isn't excessive tracking force on the needle. I'm using Ortifon Silver Concords now, so if you or anyone else knows how much weight there should be that might be good.... ohh even still maybe useless because the plastic number piece on the weights became unglued so who knows what setting is what.... argh

As for playing in clubs or anywhere you don't have your own tables I highly recommend bringing your own slipmatts and cartriges, I always have done this myself.... Well not with the cartriges yet because at the time I had shitty AL500s and most places have better carts then this anyway.

If your a quick mixer then burnt out target lights is always a cunt. Always take a maglite with me when I play out now

Back
Top Bottom