Debate : Loops

Loonie Records

Are loops cheating Does using a drum loop and a bass line loop and then a snyth loop mean your acturly shit and your just putting Lego together Reason i say this is ive hard so many tune from people which are ovious loops and its Kind lame..... STOP IT :):ban: it

cool_story_bro_trollcat.jpg

It is sample based music tho isn't it? I mean, how far do you want to take it? Record all your drum hits?
I agree in a way, in that using whole loops doesn't give me as much of a sense of achievement, but tbh I'm not bothered what other people do.

using just loops is a bit shit but a drum loop or percussion or alittle music bit is not bad as long as u fix it up and kinda make it yours if u no wat i mean

I dont think using whole bassline loops or synth loops is cool at all. However. Alot of people (myself included) will take a drumloop, hi pass it to get just the hats and hi percussion, throw it through a slicer, then write their own kicks and snares over it. This I think is ok.

But each to their own I guess.

I think that sampling something is a bit different from using magix music maker to just glue together premade riffs from "drum and bass preset #3". Lot of people use loops pretty solidly, like some soulful rollers that sample funk tracks. It's more like a remix thing when you go far enough on that. BTW this is a nice trip down to the 70's on this matter:

Marky Remixing Ghostface Killa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa8M3MOVUsQ

Ghostface Killah loaning the soul from Willie Hutch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sdkxS02i8&feature=related

Willie Hutch original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RomJgCFUBbo

That's pretty straightforward looping but both Ghostface and Marky do it with such style that it doesn't bother too much. So if you're going to use loops, do it with style at least.

drum and bass was built on sampling... i agree that just plonking loops together = fail of a massive proportion! but using loops is cool when done the 'right way'!

I don't see any difference between using loops and sampling tbh. However you have to ask yourself, if the people making the loops for sample cds were good dnb producers why are you not hearing those b-lines when you go out clubbing?

You wouldn't use a shit sample in your tune and since I'm yet to hear any dnb 'construction kits' that are actually any good then you just aren't going to use any of the parts.

i will only use breaks but who dusnt when making dnb?
but i rarely use samples of music, and yeh it does annoy me when someone uses all the loops from the danny byrd/nu tone sample pack and send it too me.

i will only use breaks but who dusnt when making dnb?
but i rarely use samples of music, and yeh it does annoy me when someone uses all the loops from the danny byrd/nu tone sample pack and send it too me.

haha WORD.. just what i wanted to say, using full musical loops from danny byrd pack..

If i put a musical sample in my project it kinda makes me feel guilty and cheap..
I mean if u rly cant come up with something on ur own, sure what the hell..
But then again, if u cant come up with ur own shit why the fuck r u making music??

Last edited:
Do the sample people who wont use loops use presets on synths? What do you see as being the difference? (just trying to generate debate here btw)

i might use a drum loop but if i do i mix it up chop it about.
Or just have it in the background - main drums will do myself (kick snare hats will do on me own).

It is cheap to cut n paste loops for a whole song - but there is definately a place for them in producing.
Some of the classic tunes have used loops - back in the day before home producing was as common loops were cooler than they r now.

Guess now loads more people are producing at home they are common.

At the end of the day if your tune sounds great who cares if there are some loops pasted in?

depends on what ya use the loop for really, as far as drumming goes you'll want control of your velocity and pitch and such...and you can't do that very well with a regular .wav loop...rex files you can if ya split it up in nn-xt but then ya gotta write it out in MIDI anyways...

WAAAY easier just to write your own stuff out in MIDI, you'll have way more control over your hits and can make song progression quite a bit easier to accomplish...and song progression might I add defines quality songs in my book. But throwin in a break loop or percusive loop in for added flavor can't hurt.

Nice trick with a drum loop (works well with percussion loops ;) Throw it through a gate chained up with a synth with key inputs from your main drum line, some very nice automation and movement can be had this way!

But in the end, if you want quality drum and bass you'll want to write your own midi/drum lines you'll never get spor/noisia/etcetc quality drumming with loops.

Yea dnb is all about samples. but anyone that makes whole tunes using premade sample loops pieced together like lego needs a new hobbie. ANYONE REMEMBER DANCE EJAY!??!!? may aswell be using that fuckin piece of shite to make ur tunes, exactly the same principle. i agree with wot ppl have said about using breaks and using a hpf to keep the high ends and build the beat around it. but when it comes to basslines and instruments, DO NOT USE PREMADE LOOPS. there's no skill, musical talent OR BRAINS needed to do this and if it was acceptable there would be no point learning to produce. This is a topic i feel very stongly about as u can probably tell lol.
Peace

radioactiv on doa said the following which i feel sums it up very well. think about it

It's ok if you release music and it sells, it's not ok if you're a bedroom producer who wants to be original.

Also, another note. A LOT of people have a misconception of what they define as "sampling" and "resampling" It's pretty common knowledge that most high end DNB producers resample, now this doesn't mean they go out looking at other peoples toons and sampling those basslines...this is NOT what they mean by resampling lol... They'll usually write out a 8 measure bar or something and then write in automation run it through a gated filter or something...then they record it and cut it to shreds and run it through again or whatever. but this is still their bassline, not some loop they dl'd from a torrent site or something.

Back
Top Bottom