Dealing with reverb & acoustics

TongueFlap

Flappin'
VIP Junglist
ladies, gents & unknown genders.

I need some way of killing reverb in my mix/studio room.

I used to have loads of crap in there with stopped the reverb and early reflections bouncing about, but ive had a clear out, and changed the monitors positions. Now it sounds like im in a large tiled bathroom - which isint good.

Unfortuanly the room is square, which is the worst shape possible for good acoustics.
Im thinking acoustic panels/foam would be the answer and may be a bass trap in a couple of the corners would solve the problem, but how many would i need?

Can anyone suggest cheap affective materials which kills unwanted reflections.

I have seen various room kits for pretty cheap, but would like to hear some of your suggestions.

Last edited:
Now bare with me on this one....

....I once heard that the best way to soundproof/dense your room is to cover the walls top to bottom with empty egg cartons!!!!!! Apparently the air pockets created between each "egg holder" provides great accoustical reflection!

........so I've heard! I've never seen the theory put into practice though!

why did you clean out then? :P

my acoustic treatment atm is a shelf with lots of books and random stuff in the acousticly worst corner.
diffuses the waves and gets me a cleaner sound for the cost of nearly nothing. everybody has some kind of shelf somewhere :D

edit: oh lord. looked at this thread for an hour to finally post my statement. and everything i wanted to say has been covered already. sucks :D

and @mr fletch: egg cartons arent even that bad. but theyre nothing like a basstrap.
when i tested it a while ago, i had the impression that the bass came back as it went there.

but i had no monitors at that time so i dont know really..

edit: and @logikz: never heard of that tbh, but the best, i know you know that, would be to build a room in your room and fill the empty space within with quarz-sand. thats how its done proper :D
apart from that that rockwhool idea doesnt sound bad at all.

well i had to clear it out, there was shite eveywhere!! I almost killed my self by tripping over on several occasions.

I think im going to make some traps my self. Looks like its only a wooden frame, some fabric and the stuff in the middle which i dont know the name of (like foam but looks like insulation from a roof). shouldnt cost me too much, I dont need a 100% dead as its not a pro studio or anything :)

....I once heard that the best way to soundproof/dense your room is to cover the walls top to bottom with empty egg cartons!!!!!! Apparently the air pockets created between each "egg holder" provides great accoustical reflection!

Nah egg boxes are pretty useless for sound isolation, only absorb high frequencies and they dont even do that very well.

For sound isolation you need a lot of mass, ideally layered up with air gaps that are completely sealed, double or triple boarding plasterboards is quite good, but obviously quite expensive, thick material such as concrete is very good, because it absorbs sound very efficiently, but again, is a lot of work and money.

I think im going to make some traps my self. Looks like its only a wooden frame, some fabric and the stuff in the middle which i dont know the name of (like foam but looks like insulation from a roof). shouldnt cost me too much, I dont need a 100% dead as its not a pro studio or anything :)

Easily do the trick for you mate, the stuff in the middle is rockwool, and yea its fairly similar to insulation. Aside from that, a bit of 4x1 timber, and any fabric that you can breath through will make some well functioning panels, a bit of spare time and an un-suspecting mate will show some good results.

Gordo's link to the John Sayers site will help a lot, some decent info over there.

Easily do the trick for you mate, the stuff in the middle is rockwool, and yea its fairly similar to insulation. Aside from that, a bit of 4x1 timber, and any fabric that you can breath through will make some well functioning panels, a bit of spare time and an un-suspecting mate will show some good results.

Gordo's link to the John Sayers site will help a lot, some decent info over there.
defo. if you arent afraid of some cuts and burns, build your own. costs about a third of what retailers ask.

thanks alot for zeee help! some of those peeps on john sayers forum hav ALOT of money! those studio builds are amaazing

the egg carton thing may or may not work for taming a rooms acoustics, but will do nothing for soundproofing

acoustic treatment and soundproofing are very different.... acoustic treatment deals with sounds within a room, soundproofing deals with sounds escaping outside ;)

oh, when i was a bit younger i tried saving up egg cartons.... i soon give up when i realised it would take me years to save enough for just a single wall!!

well i had to clear it out, there was shite eveywhere!! I almost killed my self by tripping over on several occasions.

I'm sure you've already done this, but if you haven't: do the 'ol.... "clap and listen" trick to see where your worst Sound Issues are located in the room... then concentrate on that. My Studio is a Rectangle (big room 20+' x 12') and I've got good sized Bass Traps in all 4 corners... works nicely... and didn't cost more than $80 and that included 4 big wall pieces that I've yet to use, lol.

thanks chaps! I will get on mission of building something soon, by the time i have finished, it will prop look like picasso has helped me. you never know, it may even work.

Back
Top Bottom