deadmau5: "we all hit play"

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Harry3, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

we all hit play. its no secret. when it comes to “live” performance of EDM… that’s about the most it seems you can do anyway. It’s not about performance art, its not about talent either (really its not) In fact, let me do you and the rest of the EDM world button pushers who fuckin hate me for telling you how it is, a favor and let you all know how it is.

I think given about 1 hour of instruction, anyone with minimal knowledge of ableton and music tech in general could DO what im doing at a deadmau5 concert. Just like i think ANY DJ in the WORLD who can match a beat can do what “ANYONE else” (not going to mention any names) is doing on their EDM stages too. have a look, then let me explain:

http://i.imgur.com/PQbLh.jpg

okay, so heres me, in a big silly mousehead.. twiddlin a knob or somethin… okay so heres how it works…. Somewhere in that mess is a computer, running ableton live… and its spewing out premixed (to a degree) stems of my original producitons, and then a SMPTE feed to front of house (so tell the light / video systems) where im at in the performance… so that all the visuals line up nicely and all the light cues are on and stuff. Now, while thats all goin on… theres a good chunk of Midi data spitting out as well to a handful of synths and crap that are / were used in the actual produciton… which i can tweak *live* and whatnot… but doesnt give me alot of “lookit me im jimi hendrix check out this solo” stuff, because im constrained to work on a set timeline because of the SMPTE. Its a super redundant system, and more importantly its reliable as FUCK! And obviously, ive done the show a couple hundred times easily by now, so the focus over the past few runs with the “cube show” has been more revolved around adding new audio / visual content to keep it current.

so thats my “live” show. and thats as “live” as i can comfortably get it (for now anyway) of course itll evolve, and change up, but im sure a few key principles will always remain the same.

Im just so sick of hearing the “NO!!! IM NOT JUST DOING THIS, I HAVE 6 TABLES UP THERE AND I DO THIS THIS AND THIS” like… honestly. who gives a fuck? i dont have any shame in admitting that for “unhooked” sets.. i just roll up with a laptop and a midi controller and “select” tracks n hit a spacebar. ableton syncs the shit up for me… so no beatmatching skill required. “beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3, so dont give me that argument please.

my “skills” and other PRODUCERS skills shine where it needs to shine… in the goddamned studio, and on the fucking releases. thats what counts… because this whole big “edm” is taking over fad, im not going to let it go thinking that people assume theres a guy on a laptop up there producing new original tracks on the fly. becausje none of the “top dj’s in the world” to my knowledge have. myself included.

you know what makes the EDM show the crazy amazing show that it is? you guys do, the fans, the people who came to appreciate the music, the lights, all the other people who came, we just facilitate the means and the pretty lights and the draw of more awesome people like you by our studio productions. which is exactly what it is. But to stand up and say youre doing something special outside of a studio environment, when youre not, just plain fuckin annoys me.

http://deadmau5.tumblr.com/post/25690507284/we-all-hit-play
    at least hes honest in his super cuntish way as though hes had some sort of fucking revelation in the world of "EDM" < (DIE)

2. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

mixing is about finding tracks that work together, the beatmatching bit is easy, the actual mixing and blending is a whole other job.

i agree with him somewhat, when you go to a club night/rave, you're not there to worship the DJ, you're there to worship the tunes, the only reason you go to see a specific DJ is because you know their selection will be to your tastes, and if he busts some sick skills behind the decks, then that's a bonus

3. mr karnage

mr karnage deep inside the jungle

4. mr karnage

i hit 2000 posts and i didnt even realise

5. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

paris hilton will show him

IV4 likes this.
  6. _MILLA

_MILLA Flamboyant muthafucka

thats acctually pretty good!

same as armed tbh... i agree with what hes sayin in someways!

7. _MILLA

_MILLA Flamboyant muthafucka

HA! :D

8. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

But theres a fine line between a set and a good set.

The latter takes skill and practice, the former does not.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  9. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Why are we starting this again?

Ffs Harrold...

How anybody can agree with that utter prick its unbelieveable, its like agreeing with Ian Huntley, no matter what element of "fact" he brings to an "argument", the guy is a top notch cunt & will always, always be wrong.

Its all such a massive hype to keep himself in the limelight.

One word, turntablism, = His utter bullshit- Dead.

Now this is gonna be 7 pages of the same bollocks it was last time he made a "statement", with the same old arguments/pifflings re-hashed to address the "oh so new & witty" way he's put the same shit this time.

Fucking Cancer.

10. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

:lol:

Come again if you´re not using the same bassdrum in literally all of your tracks.

11. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

I really understand your point Moskit but tbh your performance lately wasn´t that groundbreaking either :teeth:

12. Moskit

Pffft, show us how its done then "my mates a fucking bitch n that on facebooks n i'm gonna cry & talk about how annoying newfags are", guy. :teeth:

13. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Look at how exactly you remember that thread, mission accomplished :D
    I give you credit for ಠ_ಠ tho, not too shabby.

14. mr karnage

15. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

however

i like your new sig and avatar.

16. mr karnage

gaaaay

17. Moskit

Thanks Cat Gas, I love you too, sorry I was mean to you the other day :(

18. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

ಠ_ಠ

I still struggle a bit tho..are these eyebrows, stylized glasses, half a bike or a mugshot of No.5?

19. H*product

H*product Heavyweight product

LAB 4 LIVE

That is all.

20. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

agree with him in some kinda way. at least depending "edm". but. dnb =/= edm so i couldnt care less.