dBridge tells it how it is...

Always had mad respect for him anyway.

Ridiculously good producer and although his technical ability isn't the best behind the decks, he is definitely one of the best selectors in the scene.

I noticed his comments about the dnb awards the other day not read much else. Will have a look see.

what he said was 100% true.... did a talk at the local apple store, couldn't get in, bet what he was saying was interesting

What really caught my attention was the fact that he is saying what so many people say on here.

It's good to know the opinion of fans is on the same level as the artists.

Yeah it's kinda reassuring

Hoping that talk with Breakage, Ivy Lab and SP:MC was recorded

I want to actually meet some of the people who voted for the winners at these 'awards'

It's funny how everybody on here and other sites disagree with the results yet someone who agrees with them can't be found.

I feel the same way. I don't know who the majority of those names are either, yet I listen and buy drum and bass everyday.

TBH Noisia could easily claim what they do on stage is a live show and its to their credit they don't because lets face it, a huge proportion of live shows these days use that exact same setup they use (Ableton + controller)

I'm in no doubt that the Goldie Orchestra show is amazing but its pretty hard to vote for a live show if you haven't actually witnessed it in person.... and how many people have actually witnessed it ? 15,000 ? Maybe 20,000 ? Noisia probably did numerous festival appearances this year which had that many people in front of them in a single show so the pool of people available to pass judgement is exponentially larger, whether that judgement is fair or not is subject to the point made in my first paragraph.

Either way Goldie dodged a bullet by keeping his name away from these awards. Inclusion in the same league as a couple of dudes finger drumming on a laptop would've been counterproductive.

Had a moment that reminded me of this thread last night. I went out to dinner with my younger brother, who listens to some dnb...he likes some of the underground styles of it but mostly prefers the more mainstream side. When I mentioned some of the releases that came out yesterday he said he'd never heard of a few of the artists (LSB, for example) and he was asking me about some of the artists and songs that I was playing in the car. He's also told me about some artists that are big in social media that I'd never heard of. We have some common ground (Hospital, Culture Shock, Spor, etc) and he usually tells me he likes what I'm playing, but it was interesting to notice

Last edited:
Had a moment that reminded me of this thread last night. I went out to dinner with my younger brother, who listens to some dnb...he likes some of the underground styles of it but mostly prefers the more mainstream side. When I mentioned some of the releases that came out yesterday he said he'd never heard of a few of the artists (LSB, for example) and he was asking me about some of the artists and songs that I was playing in the car. He's also told me about some artists that are big in social media that I'd never heard of. We have some common ground (Hospital, Culture Shock, Spor, etc) and he usually tells me he likes what I'm playing, but it was interesting to notice
I know what you mean there. I have friend that plays and his take on dnb is very different then mine. He loves 80'smusic so he relates to anything with a synth. But when he comes over he always ask if I have heard a trak and I say no then I ask if he has heard a trak and he says no. I still remember when I asked if he had heard ulterior motives the fourth wall and he asked who.ulterior motive was. Found it hard to believe that he didn't even know who they were. Here in the states the floor reacts to the commercial stuff more then anything else so I would expect voting to go this way as well. You all think you have it bad with your awards you should see ours ha ha! Homemade weapons quadrant and iris were not even up for producers of the year ha ha.

I think a lot of people including me self, are / were attracted to the genre by the big dancefloory tunes, Sub Focus etc. its only natural when that's the most accessible.

I think a lot of people including me self, are / were attracted to the genre by the big dancefloory tunes, Sub Focus etc. its only natural when that's the most accessible.
Yeah, my brother was the one who started getting me into it with Pendulum about 5-6 years ago. After I got tired of the sound they were producing at the time (which didn't take long :teeth:) a friend showed me some of Hospital's output and they were what got me more into it. Eventually I started digging deeper into the genre which led me here. I still like some of the dancefloory stuff but nowhere near as much. I'm mostly into the more chilled and uplifting vibes of liquid these days, but I've found enjoyable songs in all parts of the genre. I went to a local record shop today co-owned by a local dnb DJ and walked out with plates from Klute, Jubei, and Rene LaVice, and would have bought an even more diverse selection had I had more than $20 on me

One think for sure is that these 'other' dnb fans into the Liquicity (and so on) sound definitely aren't paying for their music, at least in a traditional sense. One look at the Beatport top 100 will tell you that — It's all the labels and artists that we know. Labels and artists like Liquicity and Cartoon don't feature.

I guess that's the divide though. They might be paying for it through Spotify for all I know, but in my opinion this shows that this whole side of dnb is a listening only thing. They have no desire to DJ these tracks or to 'own' them, but they'll listen to them on Youtube while they're gaming or driving or whatever. I had a search for Cartoon on Beatport and found just one single remix and I haven't checked but I doubt there's vinyl for anything coming out of this group. It's a closed off group that seems to be driven by Youtube views and cheesy dance parties with no reference to the outside dnb world.

the very fact that everyone is allowed to vote makes the awards meaningless

It is driven by sheer democracy, even if it means the majority voting are wildly ignorant.

One think for sure is that these 'other' dnb fans into the Liquicity (and so on) sound definitely aren't paying for their music, at least in a traditional sense. One look at the Beatport top 100 will tell you that — It's all the labels and artists that we know. Labels and artists like Liquicity and Cartoon don't feature.

I guess that's the divide though. They might be paying for it through Spotify for all I know, but in my opinion this shows that this whole side of dnb is a listening only thing. They have no desire to DJ these tracks or to 'own' them, but they'll listen to them on Youtube while they're gaming or driving or whatever. I had a search for Cartoon on Beatport and found just one single remix and I haven't checked but I doubt there's vinyl for anything coming out of this group. It's a closed off group that seems to be driven by Youtube views and cheesy dance parties with no reference to the outside dnb world.

"anyone got youtube converter m8?" lol

I went to a local record shop today co-owned by a local dnb DJ and walked out with plates from Klute, Jubei, and Rene LaVice, and would have bought an even more diverse selection had I had more than $20 on me

What's it called? Might have to check that out next time i'm down that way

Back
Top Bottom