DBNO - Rise of the comedown

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by djnewton, Nov 19, 2012.

1. djnewton

djnewton No comment

Hey all,

After listening to some great feedback I have tried to resolve some of the issues people had. It is not finished as yet but it certainly is getting there. Any feedback is always appreciated.

2. specter

specter Member

Hi,

the mix sounds a bit muffled and the kick and snare seem to be overpowering everything else. I think you should try to clean the mix up a bit more by using subtractive EQing.
    You could try to cut out some unneeded mid-range frequencies of the kick in order to make some space for everything that's going on in the background. I would prefer the piano and the vocals to be a bit louder or to have them a bit more audible in the mix.
    It could also be a simple volume issue but maybe you want to try make more space by using EQ before turning anything louder than it needs to be.

Not sure if you wanted to have feedback on the mix or the actual song/structure. :)

3. djnewton

djnewton No comment

Thats exactly what i wanted thank you. You are so right. I have turned/eq the vocal and it sounds much better in the mix. I'm still having troubl with the kick/snare. I'll repost when i get it sorted. thanks for the feedback

4. unmd

unmd Member

Kick and snare sound like there were no highs above 3kHz or so. They both sound flat, you should know what I mean. Also, kick feels like there was too much lows, too punchy imo. :)

5. djnewton

djnewton No comment

yeah the kick is very bassy. have tried EQ it but maybe i'll have to redo it. I think the sample used is not suited to it. Seem to loose the dynamic sound if I EQ too heavily off the low end