DBN Phylum ?

Lately I hear alot of distinctions made for types of DNB. For instance. I hear Clownstep,Dubstep,Techstep...etc. Can anyone break down what each of these are or better yet, give an example of each via song name.

I.E.

Clownstep - Bodyrock

....and so on

Thanks, I just want to be clear, thats all.

clownstep is not a genre, its an insult. no producer/DJ anywhere says "I make/play clownsteppy stuff", surely the most basic prerequisite.
dubstep is 135 bpm with dubby basslines and sparse breaks, not dnb. big in dnb circles now though ... say what yu say bout that.
techstep ... well I call it late 90s labels like No U Turn, Prototype, artists like Ed Rush, Boymerang, Trace, Fierce. Others use it also to refer to some modern dnb ..:shrug:

seems the best we can ever achive is a broad consensus in the dnb scene, which is probably good. the worst is a needless shit fight with no positive result

All distinctions are basically bollocks.

But if you want examples check the wiki article or the electronic music guide at www.ishkur.com, except you have to remember Ishkur does not like dnb, is not God and there are plenty of mistakes there, its mostly a load of bollocks.

Like Mesh said, clownstep is an insult, mostly used against Pendulum.

Interesting. I don't get everyone's gripe with Pendulum. Is their music insulting? Are they like supporters or terrorism, why do hardcore DnB fans just not like pendulum. Sure, Slam and Another Planet and a bevy of other songs they've produced sound fairly corny in their own respect but, they made it in a very short amount of time and they are pretty good dj's. Just wondering because obviously, I'm behind the times.

Just ask on Dogs On Acid why they think Pendulum suck.

You'll get a lot of answers, ranging from the idiotic to considered lengthy cleverly argued pieces on why they are betraying the underground, introducing "untrue" elements (as in "true" in Death metal) and bringing in unwanted listeners (chavs), which can be summed up as "Waah, I don't like them bringing the fun back into dnb".

Nobody gets more hate than Pendulum.

Back
Top Bottom