Dawn of Ikaros

Dawn of Ikaros

Hey people!
Originally I'm a hip hop producer, but I have been starting to make dnb on the side. Or my version of dnb. It's quite melodic and contains some auto-tune. The reason that I use A-T is because I can't really sing, but I still want my ideas to come to life so... ;)

Check it out and tell me what you think: www.myspace.com/dawnofikaros

Any constructive criticism (?) is welcome :)

A lot of influences coming thru. I thought the auto tune was overdone. I'm not sure how bad your pitch is normally, but I would try and make the auto tune less obvious.
Most of the lead synths were a little simple for my liking, they could definitely do with a bit of spicing up/automation etc. The actual melodies were quite straight forward as well and gave it a retro feel.
The drums could have a little more punch/prominence in the mix at times.

The first song was the best for me, if it is original, although the pop-punk/nu-rock lyrics mean it's not really my cuppa.
The vocal melodies/harmonies were strong.

Thanks for the comments.
I agree that some of the leads could use some gunpowder, can you recommend any ways? I've started fiddling with compression and distortion, any additional hints?

The first song, Asleep, is also the latest, and yes its original :)
I know it's quite depressing lyrics, but I just wanted to express that feeling.

Thanks for the comments.
I agree that some of the leads could use some gunpowder, can you recommend any ways? I've started fiddling with compression and distortion, any additional hints?

If you're using a softsynth, then layer another waveform or two in there, get into the modulation matrix and create a bit of movement.
Otherwise try creating layers of sound in your DAW. Copy the lead into 3or4 tracks. Leave one clean, slap a slow phaser on one, a flanger, distortion whatever. Bus them altogether, put a compressor on the bus, fiddle with all the individual track levels and the comp settings.
Samplers like Kontakt let you load a simple sound and really mess it up with plenty of modulations and fx.

As I am working in Logic, I presume that I use "softsynths", not that good at the terms. The ES2 I guess is great in that matter then, since it's got three customizable oscs.
Currently I'm using Rob Papens Albino, mostly presets since they sound great (to me atleast ;)), but perhaps I should start fiddling (isnt that a great word?) with that one aswell :)

Thanks alot!

Currently I'm using Rob Papens Albino, mostly presets since they sound great (to me atleast ;)), but perhaps I should start fiddling (isnt that a great word?) with that one aswell :)

!

OK, if you got Albino (3?) then you've got no excuses whatsoever.
Get into those lfo's, envelopes, filters, waveforms. Albino gives you plenty of options. Just play around.
I find Albino (and also z3ta) good for learning how to create sounds.

hmmm... you can definatly feel the hip hop comming through! as said, the auto pitch is too much, it makes you sound like rodrigo from Big Brother!

the tunes are quite pendulum like (well, to me any way!)

Yeah its the third, I'll dive into it right away! Thanks again!

And richie, yeah Pendulum is my greatest source of inspiration so :)
Have no idea who rodrigo is though (I'm swedish ;))

Back
Top Bottom