Darker side of dnb.

DJ Nside

S*K*I*L*L*A
:cat: Looking for some new equipment to produce a more evil sound of dnb.
I am looking for a sound along the lines of Mason and counterstrike.
Anyone have the knowledge to share?:cat:

There arent any specific pieces of software
you need to write dark dnb
the darkness come from the very pit of your
blackened soul. Not algorithims floating around inside
a box with flashing lights. (unless its been blessed
by a dark cleric or lesser demon).
i suggest going to a crossroad at midnight once a week
to slaughter a lamb, drinking blood twice daily with meals
and regular excercise. Also it helps to keep a jar of concentrated evil close at hand just incase you start to
feel good about choppin up some of those amens.
(i do sell these @ $100 au a litre pm me for details).

As long as you kill some baby animal before you start writing you will be fine. Drum n bass is all just clicks and whisltes anyway.

Sorry I havent listened to the track, but as far as I know.. Dark dnb is all about using the 'darker' sounding scales & chords, as opposed to the happy sounding major key.

In other words, some intervals between notes sound happy, and some sound evil.

Not to get too bogged down on music theory, but an example would be playing the notes C and E together. This is a major 3rd interval and sounds very nice and happy. Then play the notes C and D# together. This is a minor 3rd interval and sounds 'dark'.

Although much to the tradition musicians dismay, many DNB artists have ditched the scales (or perhaps just noobs who have no music knowledge) and just write simple melodies that sound 'good'. Hell.. theyve even got a word for playing the wrong notes of a scale.. its called 'Chromatics' and is often used to create a feeling of tension in a song.

Dont take my word for this though.. I am trying to remember the theory from years ago. You should do a search on the grid about this.

I tend to think of it more like new theory is being written. Theory is here to explain what has been done in the past and these dark DnB sounds are something new, so they still need to be explained. Most stuff sounds octatonic to me though (in C that would be C Db D#/Eb E F# G A Bb C), but in a way that I've never heard it before in jazz or whatever, but maybe that's just me.

I am currently working with Cubase and Acid.
I got the dark sound Can't get the dark evil Bass synths.
Any Ideas?You know the Shit like in calyx's tunes and muffler....The shit that rattles your brain....:sick:

Check the OKReece(advanced) thread by
warmth i posted a brief explanation
of making a good bass sound

I recommend a soft synth called Synapse Hydra (formerly known as Synapse Junglist).

Effects are also a huge part of getting that sound. I would recommend a free distortion plugin called extremist.

but in my opinion you could probably achieve some of those dirty sounds with nothing more than a standard reese sample with some distortion, chorus and a filter.

overdrive and filter!

destroy that sample, push it beyond its limits, and then filter it down (or as stated) eq reduce to get the sound you want...

All U need is an outstanding DISTORTION PLUGIN. Play your basslines with standart synths and then distort 'em in all evil ways you like. In addition, using some reverb effect will make the sound tight & massive.

sometimes a very slight amount
of verb (talking very very very very
small amount) can be ok....
sometimes helps to smooth out
a few rough edges

Back
Top Bottom