Darkcore and Commercial D&B, what are the differences?

Brainfreeze

I'm currently attempting a remix of Liquid - Sweet Harmony and I know Danny Byrd also did a version of it. I know mine will never be as good as that so I have been advised to do a darkcore remix, however I don't know the difference between darkcore and commercial.

Can anyone tell me? :)

By commercial it means it's generally aimed at a wider audience, stuff by people like Danny Byrd can appeal to dnb heads but also a much wider audience. I don't think something with a growly reese or a 'dirty' bassline is going to get played at like 3pm on the radio when people are at work, although i'd love it if something like that came on the radio when i'm at work i'd be skankin all over the place :teeth:

Do the remix in whatever style you would like to do mate, you're the one making it! (y)

By commercial it means it's generally aimed at a wider audience, stuff by people like Danny Byrd can appeal to dnb heads but also a much wider audience. I don't think something with a growly reese or a 'dirty' bassline is going to get played at like 3pm on the radio when people are at work, although i'd love it if something like that came on the radio when i'm at work i'd be skankin all over the place :teeth:

Do the remix in whatever style you would like to do mate, you're the one making it! (y)

:P

and yeh, i will do, cheers :)

darkcore was ambient drum and bass' ('intelligent' as they called it) moodier cousin back in the day. goldies terminator was a good example of darkcore back in the day. they were searching for names for the styles and that was one of the candidates. its got its roots in old uk hardcore, way i remember it.
for a prime example of darkstep check source directs album 'exorcise the demons'.
these days people refer to drill and bass like current value and counterstrike as darkstep but i disagree with that idea, i think its to do with a younger generation that never got to hear the subtle cinematic epic darkness of acts like hidden agenda, photek and source direct back in 97-2000 and just took the name darkstep to describe the hard brutal mangle ass type of deathmetal like blast beats laden style that donny and dylan and audio are busy with.
there is a huge difference between dark and just hard to me.

Back
Top Bottom