Dark production in reason help

omowglio

hello people, sorry i got loads of questions bour producing wondering if anyone can help, my aim is to make dnb obviously, which is cumming around ok bt i cant seem to the get thwhole build up right nay help appreciated

how do youmake it so that the drop sounds less sudden and a better build up b4 hand, im using a basic drum roll, fairly good drum beat but the drop sounds kinda out ofplace.

do you make a drum beat thats simple and place seperate breaks over the top of it ??

using rex if you use another person break surley that aint rly makin your own drum n bass thats passing it off as urs, or can u actually use it

and what kind of atmosphere should you use and how do you make them, using a synth or samples

ive got refills can anyone recomend sum other good ones for dark drum n bass, ive got drum n bass masterclass 260db 160db sum zerog ones

what synth should i use for dark dnb, subtractor, malstorm ot thor, or shud i scrap reason and try massive in cubase ????

cheers for mDj-MoWgli-K in swindon

hello people, sorry i got loads of questions bour producing wondering if anyone can help, my aim is to make dnb obviously, which is cumming around ok bt i cant seem to the get thwhole build up right nay help appreciated

how do youmake it so that the drop sounds less sudden and a better build up b4 hand, im using a basic drum roll, fairly good drum beat but the drop sounds kinda out ofplace.

do you make a drum beat thats simple and place seperate breaks over the top of it ??

using rex if you use another person break surley that aint rly makin your own drum n bass thats passing it off as urs, or can u actually use it

and what kind of atmosphere should you use and how do you make them, using a synth or samples

ive got refills can anyone recomend sum other good ones for dark drum n bass, ive got drum n bass masterclass 260db 160db sum zerog ones

what synth should i use for dark dnb, subtractor, malstorm ot thor, or shud i scrap reason and try massive in cubase ????

cheers for mDj-MoWgli-K in swindon

its all about trial an error do sumfin that ur finkin then if it dont sound good fuck it do sumfin else!
also for a reece bassline jus youtube it thes gotta be sum turtorials

I've used reason only a few times but I think it's a good starting point for anyone. Now you don't need to restrain yourself to using 1 synth or one drumkit only. (You can load 2 kits and mix them with each other doing the same pattern so the sounds are overlayed on top of each other, it's called layering and is very basic production knowledge, use search)

Sampling and using breaks has more to it than just slapping a ready loop on top of your beats. You browse through piles of old (or even new) records in hoping to find something that catches your fancy, a brass stab from a 70's funk tune, a lead clavinova from some weird blue note jazz track, a drum break or whatever - then you record it (or just choose it up from a sample cd) and pitch & stretch it and slice it to suit your tempo, find a good pattern for it that has groove but still is not a copy of the original, gate it, verb it, distort it, compress it, whatever. Then you start matching the sound with the beats, enhancing the kick and snare, cymbals what have you. Sure there are people who just slap the same amen on top of every tune but you really need to make any sounds your own.

And then we come to the case of the drop - I'd like to hear that clip so i could give any info for you, but generally you can use filter sweeps to your advantage or a reversed cymbal or sweep to peak just at the top of the drop, those are always easy ways to do a lead-in. Before the drop have less elements going on in the track than after the drop, but keep it tight still both ways, dont change the theme too much at the drop ( though you can make this work for you too with a little practice). Also it eases the DJ's work if there is some hint as to when the drop is going to come, for example a 1 bar kick drum roll rising in volume is a common way to do it.

hey man theres no one way to do it, with enough messing around im sure u'll find a set up that ur comfortable with within reason, it is a good program and very capable, u just gta know how to use it :D so feel free to use a combination of NN-XT or NN-19 or even Redrum for ur one shots on the beat with layered / chopped / rearranged dr rex loops

as for the arrangement, that should really be down to u as a producer to make ur own style and make something unique - although just listen to pro tunes for ideas for breakdowns / build ups etc et :D

Back
Top Bottom