Dark drumfunk... Impact - Creeping Regret

Great percussion work in the intro mate! Love how the percussion and the hats go with each other.
Good sounds you're using, love the drop @ 1:50 with the cello kinda thing.

Intro is killer... reminds me of Bjork for some reason.
Wow, that introduction was so simple yet so lush for me.

Your track appears to not be limited at all... I can appreciate that your Dynamics are 100% intact, but honestly, the drums being as quiet as they are makes me wish they were louder.

The track doesn't have enough impact in it's current state imo... a 'small/tiny' Limit on the Master would fix this imho.

Lovely tune... but it's absence of power in the DB department leaves me unsatisfied.

interesting take.. thanks for the Bjork comparison- she's heavyweight in the music game for sure..

there is a limiter, just carefully setup so not to over compress the tune... drums can always be made louder/more attack in the mix?
'Absence of power in the DB dept' ??
As in lack of Loudness? or punch of the drums? please explain and I'll do my best to fix it ;)

interesting take.. thanks for the Bjork comparison- she's heavyweight in the music game for sure..

there is a limiter, just carefully setup so not to over compress the tune... drums can always be made louder/more attack in the mix?
'Absence of power in the DB dept' ??
As in lack of Loudness? or punch of the drums? please explain and I'll do my best to fix it ;)

Howdy, it's your Tune my man... if you're content with it, by all means... jam it the way 'YOU' see fit, not others... I just wanted to throw that out there.

I imagine if I turned your tune up loud enough, I wouldn't have that big of an issue with your tune being so quiet... it's just that overall, your tune is pretty quiet... and judging from your waveform, I don't see any form of 'squashing'... not that that's what you should go for, I'm just making a note.

Absence of power in the Decibel department is what I was saying, but again... let me reiterate: if your Mixdown is sound, then turning up the volume is the simplest way to make up for the DB deficiency I was speaking of.

Overall though, the tune sounds really quiet almost as if you mixed it 6-10 DBs under 0 on purpose. I know some producers that follow that rule to the letter and imo, all it does is make the elements in the Mix quiet.

But hey, the dynamics in your tune speak for itself so in all honesty, if you're happy with your tune at whatever volume on whatever system/s you listen to it on, 'nevermind moi' : )

hope that helps...

well im no expert so the input of people more learned than me is appreciated and absorbed into the grey matter ;) I like to think I know when to shut up and listen...

Must admit I've been playing it fairly loud thru monitors.. there are indeed dynamics in spades- and yes I intended that- although as this tune has fairly sparse elements maybe I should look
at raising the elements in the mix a bit and filling some of that headroom to make for a more punchy mix? Im certainly not gonna aim for a 'phat' wave ;) I'll leave that to the dubstep kids :D I'll try raising the drums and cello a bit..

I often mixdown to -6db to give me plenty of mastering headroom to gain plenty of oomph and clout.. but it seems its gone a bit amiss on this one. It's mastered and limited to -0.5db
So if anything it's only a 0.5db down on retail tunes.

Will look into it and see if I can improve on it.. thanks for the detailed (and useful) feedback!

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

plus im still such a n00b that validation means a lot! :D

Last edited:
Your doing it the right way mate, but if your mix is too quite after mastering and limiting to 0 dB , it most of the time means that you've still got room to add more elements to the track.
Throw a frequency analyzer on the master to see where you've got some room and find sounds that fit that frequency area. Done!

Often it is just a simple percussion element or adding some background pads or textures.

its really slow though? the bpm is pretty low right? or am i just getting that impression from the programming, that could be you know.
other than that i thought it was a lovely atmospheric track and the cello is pure genius.
great work, if there still are drumfunk labels out there, they should keep an eye on you.
never bother with loudness. let the listener or dj just up the volume button on their system, i really dont see that as an issue.
if you want to get it louder though, you could just run it through an amp (regular stereo amp, im sure you got one, most households do),
crank the gain as much as possible and record it back on your computor again. quick and dirty way to up the volume of a track.

Yeah its 140bpm.. the track started out as a tentative dubstep experiment then i came rapidly to the conclusion that I know fuck all about DS and then just went with a vibe I had knocking round in my head... the bpm just seemed to suit the menacing vibe.. i tried it faster but it seemed at odds with the sounds I chose.
plus the beat is pretty stripped back.

was in two minds over the cello; it changed the tone of the track to become melacholic, but after a couple of listens with the volume up it seemed to work so i left it alone :)

I thank Photek- Slowburn for the inspiration :)

As for DF labels.. i started a thread on that but not had any replies as yet. Although; I never set out to make DF- was going for more of a soundtrack style piece.. but it was suggested to me that DF was a good fit.

Might take a look at raising the bpm to 150 to fit the DF template better..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom